Opinion Did Taranto and Hopper make a mistake leaving the Giants for Richmond?

Did Taranto and Hopper make a mistake leaving the Giants for Richmond?

• Yes

Votes: 243 71.9%
  • No

Votes: 95 28.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

None of that has anything to do with the thread title though, or what I posted.

If it'd been "Did Richmond make a mistake getting Taranto and Hopper?" then your post would at least be relevant to what I posted.

You tried to compare the scenario of Bruhn and Bowes coming from GWS and GC respectively, to the plights of Taranto and Hopper. You were posing the question that if Bruhn and Bowes don't win a flag with us, then have they made the same mistake as Taranto and Hopper may have potentially made.

I was merely comparing the two trade scenarios, and showing that two far smaller names joined us, and we didn't give up much to get them or the other young guns - so the trade scenarios don't align.

If Bruhn and Bowes don't win a flag with us I doubt that they would be that pissed as they were really just looking for more opportunity/being closer to home in the case of O. Henry and Bruhn.

Hopper and Taranto on the other hand, were pretty big names at GWS, offered massive contracts, and they were originally fairly high draft picks who had already won a B+F (Taranto), /been in the AA squad of 40 (Hopper). They would have expected leaving GWS to go to Richmond, that they would be going to a club that's still contending, and they could push for their own maiden flag there. Now that remains to be seen what happens from here, but it is hard to deny that GWS are in a much better position with their list/flag window than Richmond currently appear to be.

Not sure why that's created such controversy, but I'll leave it there.

We’re better off without them so good luck to them in their careers.

I think they were sold a lemon from Dimma who absolutely shafted the 2 lads.

However, I’m glad Dimma did what he did, when he did and not 6 months earlier as we would be a complete basket case without AK as coach.

You know maybe in the end neither Richmond or GWS win flags in the near future. So Taranto and Hopper actually did the smart thing coming to us for some extra cash.

You know maybe in the end neither Richmond or GWS win flags in the near future. So Taranto and Hopper actually did the smart thing coming to us for some extra cash.
Could be true, but GWS are flag favourites so we'll know soon enough.

From a Tiges POV - is it worth trading out a heap of draft picks for 2 mature players at the start of a rebuild?

Could be true, but GWS are flag favourites so we'll know soon enough.

From a Tiges POV - is it worth trading out a heap of draft picks for 2 mature players at the start of a rebuild?

If you look at the two trades. Taranto was well worth it but Hopper was not. As a collective it evens out. Imagine how bad we would be without them. Spoon quality really.

But yeah as far as I’m concerned Taranto and Hopper have done a smart move unless/until GWS win a flag.

And to play for a big club with a massive supporter base and a long rich history. It's why Collingwood and Carlton also have little trouble attracting players even when they're struggling a bit - that sort of lure can't be underestimated.

Besides, if the judgement of most posters on here are to be relied upon, GWS wouldn't have won anything if they'd kept Taz and Hops.

And to play for a big club with a massive supporter base and a long rich history. It's why Collingwood and Carlton also have little trouble attracting players even when they're struggling a bit - that sort of lure can't be underestimated.

Besides, if the judgement of most posters on here are to be relied upon, GWS wouldn't have won anything if they'd kept Taz and Hops.
True story.

Depends what they want. If living in Melbourne on big dollars is what they want then they haven't made a mistake. If it's premierships then yes they have. They will be the cornerstones of Richmond's rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopper's monster 7 year contract looking like one of the worst decisions in recent time.

I personally think the first and second generation GWS midfidlers were pretty weak. Guys like Kelly, Shiel, Taranto and Hopper. They are all good on paper, but they only seemed to play well when their team was playing well. None of them had the ability to drag their team over the line or stand up when the team really needed it. It was smart of GWS to slowly filter them out as the new generation of midfielders seems far more resiliant.

I personally think the first and second generation GWS midfidlers were pretty weak. Guys like Kelly, Shiel, Taranto and Hopper. They are all good on paper, but they only seemed to play well when their team was playing well. None of them had the ability to drag their team over the line or stand up when the team really needed it. It was smart of GWS to slowly filter them out as the new generation of midfielders seems far more resiliant.

I agree.
Still surprising how much Richmond were willing to give up for a player who had a well publicized knee issue in his final year at GWS.
They are now tied down to those two big contracts and it'll make it very difficult to snag any potential stars during free agency.

I agree.
Still surprising how much Richmond were willing to give up for a player who had a well publicized knee issue in his final year at GWS.
They are now tied down to those two big contracts and it'll make it very difficult to snag any potential stars during free agency.
You think. Dusty's money will come in very handy, reckon he will retire this year. If he stays it will be on a new contract. Cotchin and Riewoldt has freed up a fair amount of coin. Prestia maybe last season, Grimes definitely. Nobody beside Lynch on big $. Plenty of money at Punt rd.

You think. Dusty's money will come in very handy, reckon he will retire this year. If he stays it will be on a new contract. Cotchin and Riewoldt has freed up a fair amount of coin. Prestia maybe last season, Grimes definitely. Nobody beside Lynch on big $. Plenty of money at Punt rd.

I do think.
Martin will bleed you dry as he remained with you instead of heading up with Hardwick on the Gold Coast. What's he on at the minute, 1.2 million or something like that?
Taranto and Hopper are on huge money. It's the sole reason why they left GWS.

The problem is that despite what the AFL claimed when they brought in free agency we have since learned that war chests don't actually help much with free agency as generally speaking free agents change clubs for success. They are willing to take less money in order to be in premiership contention, especially if they are coming from a club that has not been in premiership contention for quite a while.

Had Tom Lynch been 26 in 2024 and deciding to leave Gold Coast to go back to Victoria he would not be considering going to Richmond. He would be deciding between Carlton, Collingwood and maybe Melbourne.

Wonder what Hopper and Taranto think about the umpiring of Richmond compared to their former club?

Opposition team given 100% more free kicks last night. Again.

Opposition players are more likely to get cited for a high hit than are Hopper, Taranto and co. likely to get a high contact FKs in-game!

I bet they are both wishing they transferred to a club that gets a fair go from the officials.

Maybe they can write a letter?

Wonder what Hopper and Taranto think about the umpiring of Richmond compared to their former club?

Opposition team given 100% more free kicks last night. Again.

Opposition players are more likely to get cited for a high hit than are Hopper, Taranto and co. likely to get a high contact FKs in-game!

I bet they are both wishing they transferred to a club that gets a fair go from the officials.

Maybe they can write a letter?
Richmond are 16th for average Frees For so far this season. Funnily enough their old club is equal last with Geelong for Frees For, so those two boys can expect a few more touchy-touchy free kicks going their way now than had they remained at GWS.

Richmond are 16th for average Frees For so far this season. Funnily enough their old club is equal last with Geelong for Frees For, so those two boys can expect a few more touchy-touchy free kicks going their way now than had they remained at GWS.
oh damn, so then they fit right in for FFs!

FF-FA differentials might be a shock to their system however, I suspect

I do think.
Martin will bleed you dry as he remained with you instead of heading up with Hardwick on the Gold Coast. What's he on at the minute, 1.2 million or something like that?
Taranto and Hopper are on huge money. It's the sole reason why they left GWS.
Dusty will not be on huge money. He'll be 34 next year and I doubt GC would be interested (on big money). Dusty looks like he has checked out emotionally a bit.

You reckon Jack, Cotch, Grimes & Prestia aren't/weren't on good money. Add MacIntosh, Graham and a few other will most likely leave, and maybe Baker. Besides Lynch, Bolton, Rioli, Broad, Nankervis and Vlastuin there's pretty much nobody left with even half decent contracts.

Besides Hopper and Taranto are on about $750G each, plenty of sides have those contracts. 7 years was the sweetener.

The problem is that despite what the AFL claimed when they brought in free agency we have since learned that war chests don't actually help much with free agency as generally speaking free agents change clubs for success. They are willing to take less money in order to be in premiership contention, especially if they are coming from a club that has not been in premiership contention for quite a while.

Had Tom Lynch been 26 in 2024 and deciding to leave Gold Coast to go back to Victoria he would not be considering going to Richmond. He would be deciding between Carlton, Collingwood and maybe Melbourne.
That is true, but Hopper and Taranto came, we had no success since 2020, and an ageing list. They came anyway. 2016 we were hopeless, didn't stop Prestia, Nankervis, Caddy.

Dusty will not be on huge money. He'll be 34 next year and I doubt GC would be interested (on big money). Dusty looks like he has checked out emotionally a bit.

You reckon Jack, Cotch, Grimes & Prestia aren't/weren't on good money. Add MacIntosh, Graham and a few other will most likely leave, and maybe Baker. Besides Lynch, Bolton, Rioli, Broad, Nankervis and Vlastuin there's pretty much nobody left with even half decent contracts.

Besides Hopper and Taranto are on about $750G each, plenty of sides have those contracts. 7 years was the sweetener.

I think Martin no longer has the teammates around to get him the ball like he use to.
It's got nothing to do with his mentality.

It's going to be an interesting season.
If the kids don't come along as you had hoped, it's the worst time to bottom out with Tasmania about to enter the equation.

I think Martin no longer has the teammates around to get him the ball like he use to.
It's got nothing to do with his mentality.

It's going to be an interesting season.
If the kids don't come along as you had hoped, it's the worst time to bottom out with Tasmania about to enter the equation.
You mean Martin the receiver, seriously. He's been mentally struggling for 3 years.

Well our kids were in our best yesterday, so that's a start. Perhaps you haven't noticed we have half our team out injured for most of the year, yet have been in every game at half time bar GC.

Back