News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I read Purple's interview with RL. (afl.com.au) Lyon said they want hit the draft again this year, then go after free agents. This pleased me the focus is on the draft again. Not enough in the last 10 years...
It’s a proven recipe if you pick right..we now have 3 very shrewd and experienced campaigners at the helm for recruiting

Hasn't the 2024 draft been touted as running deep and a "Super draft" !?
I know the media get carried away with their notions, but I think it's been rated for quite awhile. If we can work some magic and move up, or get an extra pick in the late 1st early 2nd round...then 100% load up.
I want 30 years of dominance.
#WhyNotUs
#WhenWillitBeUs 😎

I know the media get carried away with their notions, but I think it's been rated for quite awhile. If we can work some magic and move up, or get an extra pick in the late 1st early 2nd round...then 100% load up.
#WhyNotUs
#WhenWillitBeUs 😎
Lots of mids but most are pretty small. I'm not convinced as yet.

Lots of mids but most are pretty small. I'm not convinced as yet.
Checked out Twomey's top 10 prospects for this year - you weren't kidding. 9/10 were mids, of them 2 were 185cm+, 1 was 190cm+. The Futures game last year also lacked height, across both teams only 4 mids 185cm+, 1 of whom was 190cm+

Need some growth spurts and/or fresh talent to emerge, I'm not a massive fan of undersized mids.

Checked out Twomey's top 10 prospects for this year - you weren't kidding. 9/10 were mids, of them 2 were 185cm+, 1 was 190cm+. The Futures game last year also lacked height, across both teams only 4 mids 185cm+, 1 of whom was 190cm+

Need some growth spurts and/or fresh talent to emerge, I'm not a massive fan of undersized mids.
Neale, Naicos, Butters, Gulden, Serong, Viney, Warner etc etc.
Give me good over tall.

Don’t pretend to have the knowledge of some others but we are building an elite core of young talent & clearly want to keep building young talent & add some established talent.

We have an outstanding coaching team who are developing the talent and are demanding.

Be patient & don’t expect improvement to be linear but with an ounce of luck I reckon we might have something pretty special in the next 2 to 3 years!

At this point of time......I'll take 3.

I don't want to be too greedy.......

:);)
I see it as a return of investment for having over 30 years (and counting) of suffering and damages for having supported the club. But yes...a three-peat would also be satisfactory sugar hit to me.

Last edited:
#WhyNotUs
#WhenWillitBeUs 😎
Doubt it’s a super draft but it is a midfielders draft

2024 is indeed a super draft, especially for mids. There are soooo many top-line midfielders - 10ish - of different types. Assuming we finish in a finals position, we won't have access to Jagga Smith (I saw someone above say he looks good).

Kade Herbert, Christian Moraes, Sam Lalor, Tom Gross and Harvey Langford are the ones to look out for around our range.

Herbert is a classy small-ish mid with agility and versatility so would be a great if we want flexibility.

Moraes is similar but he has genuine speed and is a clearance expert - he's the one that I want and would suit our midfield so well. Plays like Butters to an extent

Lalor is kind of like George Stevens from 2023 except a lot better in terms of athleticism and versatility. Powerful and clean

Tom Gross also up there and is quite similar to Windy - desperate in the contest and can finish well too up forward

Langford is probably a rung below these guys (similar to how Wilson was to the top end this year). Excellent in the contest and hits the scoreboard - he's probably the most likely to land amongst our pick which would be a good get.

On a side note to mids, Lucas Tovey looks like an extremely good 198cm lockdown full back which is exactly what we need. If Van Es and Adrian Cole to an extent don't show something this year, I wouldn't be surprised if we go hard at him - like trade up the order for him hard. Best full back in this draft by a long way. Him and Moraes would be right at the top of SOS and Gubby's list for this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2024 is indeed a super draft, especially for mids. There are soooo many top-line midfielders - 10ish - of different types. Assuming we finish in a finals position, we won't have access to Jagga Smith (I saw someone above say he looks good).

Kade Herbert, Christian Moraes, Sam Lalor, Tom Gross and Harvey Langford are the ones to look out for around our range.

Herbert is a classy small-ish mid with agility and versatility so would be a great if we want flexibility.

Moraes is similar but he has genuine speed and is a clearance expert - he's the one that I want and would suit our midfield so well. Plays like Butters to an extent

Lalor is kind of like George Stevens from 2023 except a lot better in terms of athleticism and versatility. Powerful and clean

Tom Gross also up there and is quite similar to Windy - desperate in the contest and can finish well too up forward

Langford is probably a rung below these guys (similar to how Wilson was to the top end this year). Excellent in the contest and hits the scoreboard - he's probably the most likely to land amongst our pick which would be a good get.

On a side note to mids, Lucas Tovey looks like an extremely good 198cm lockdown full back which is exactly what we need. If Van Es and Adrian Cole to an extent don't show something this year, I wouldn't be surprised if we go hard at him - like trade up the order for him hard. Best full back in this draft by a long way. Him and Moraes would be right at the top of SOS and Gubby's list for this year
Awesome. Someone mentioned another gun at Dandy. Perhaps big and powerful, but hasn’t been in the top 10/15 lists that I’ve seen. Can you recall who that might be?

Edit: found him. Hynes

Awesome. Someone mentioned another gun at Dandy. Perhaps big and powerful, but hasn’t been in the top 10/15 lists that I’ve seen. Can you recall who that might be?

Absolute jet

Yep, at the moment he'd probably be a bit around the Langford range. Good midfield goalkicker which fills a need for us too and should be available for our pick. Needs to accumulate a bit more.

Murphy Reid from Sandy is also one to watch

I just had a look at Davo's rolling 2024 top 100 on the Draft Forum and I couldnt find Tovey or Cole for the matter mentioned in any of his rankings. Obviously things change a lot as the season progresses, but its interesting those two havent come up on the radar yet. Hopefully we can at least get Cole as an NGA outside the current top 40 rule.

I just had a look at Davo's rolling 2024 top 100 on the Draft Forum and I couldnt find Tovey or Cole for the matter mentioned in any of his rankings. Obviously things change a lot as the season progresses, but its interesting those two havent come up on the radar yet. Hopefully we can at least get Cole as an NGA outside the current top 40 rule.
I don't know who Davo is but I'm pretty strong on Tovey being the top key defender at this point. Cole is probably a late to rookie pick but a lot of upside so an interesting watch this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back