Preview 2024 Round 2 Freo v Roos

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You're as high on and as knowledgeable about Davies as anyone I've seen on the board, so a query I have. His draft profiles suggested him as an intercept type that brings it out of defence but struggles with one-on-one defending. By the end of the first season, however, he seemed to not really have that intercept game or be someone you'd be particularly confident about bringing the ball out of defence (at least at WAFL seniors level, he got a lot of the ball at WAFL reserves in his few games there), but the one-on-one defence had generally improved (Ben Sokol being probably his highlight scalp). However, he seemed to have issues against the big slow key fwds at WAFL level (Keitel had a game on him I believe).

The club at the very least have seen enough in him to give him the 2 year deal, so there's something there. So I guess my 2 part question:
  1. Do you think he'll ever get that intercept game and/or be a reliable option to bring the ball out of defence at the highest level?
  2. Do you think he is currently or can eventually be someone who you trust physically against an AFL key fwd?
It has to do a lot with the position and the training since getting drafted I think; at junior level he was very much an intercept and rebound defender at around centre half back that would get killed against a good opponent for loose checking but the clear training focus with him has been on close checking lock down on the last lines of defence. With him being deeper most of the time most of his disposals are by hand to quick runners or short kicks rather than long kicks.

Might have to if we are running out of key defenders. We’ve got truckloads of mids, and granted Young is excellent in there, but we’ve got to be careful on team balance
Young isnt a key defender though. For the same reason Jackson played ruck over bringing in Reidy, the midfield winning is the number 1 priority and he has played a massive part in turning that midfield around since like round 16 last year.

Young doesnt move

Surely this is the perfect time to bring in one of the young KPD. Kangas are young and inexperienced. Pearce takes Larkey. Ryan, Hughes, Walker(replaces Worner) Aish, Clark and one of Davies or Draper come in for Omac make the other back 6.
Tabs in for Cox.
The rest the same.
If MC want O’Meara in for some experience and class Banfield to sub and Erasmus out.

North melbourne defence is pretty vulnerable to height, assuming we don't s**t the bed could be another decent day out for triple J.

Its time for my buddy to debut and I would also debut Voss. He is a bigger more solid body and could be swung back into defence if young Draper is getting out muscled. Drapes as the third tall forward could be a beautiful thing.

Draper looks the closest of the three to come in. I just feel he isn’t yet accountable enough. I’d incl. him as one of the emergencies.

Our backline has been decimated. Cox, McDonald, Chapman, Wagner.

Glad Walker is up and about. Draper can travel. Still a no for mine with regards to Reidy.

Either Voss or Tabs to get a game. I’m leaning towards Voss. Has Voss played backline before?
Voss is a better bet to be a backman, good height, body strength and a thumping kick

Could be coached to be a backman

Obviously we have 3 outs who need to be replaced. Changes for me are Draper to debut to replace MCDonald. I know he is inexperienced but he moved really well in the WC pre season game and I reckon after 4-5 games he will surprise how good he could be. Walker an obvious in for Worner. The last one is more controversial but I would have Tabs in to replace Cox. The way Hogan bullied the undersized NM defence last week is right up Tabs alley. Definitely don’t bring in Reidy, the Jackson/Treacy ruck/forward combo couldn’t have worked better in round one.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Out: Worner Omac Cox
In: Reidy Draper Voss Walker JOM

Draper Pearce Ryan
Clark Hughes Young
Sharp JOM Johnson
Freddy Voss Jackson
Treacy Amiss Walters
Reidy Brayshaw Serong

Walker Banfield Switta Aish

Emerg: Raz

Probably made too many unnecessary changes, but I still don't mind this setup.

How do you have 3 out and 5 in. You actually dropped Fyfe and Emmett without mentioning it!?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Worner, McDonald, Cox, Erasmus
In: walker, Voss, Simpson, JOM (sub)

Banfield to stay down back, simpson into fwd line. Voss for cox. JOM in for Raz as sub

I think the speed and skill of simpson will add to our fwd line and him Switta (who was excellent yesterday) and Freddy providing pace and crumbs off our 3 big strong fwds smashing packs!

Ok who have you got going back to cover for McDonald

Surely this is the perfect time to bring in one of the young KPD. Kangas are young and inexperienced. Pearce takes Larkey. Ryan, Hughes, Walker(replaces Worner) Aish, Clark and one of Davies or Draper come in for Omac make the other back 6.
Tabs in for Cox.
The rest the same.
If MC want O’Meara in for some experience and class Banfield to sub and Erasmus out.
Banfield is not a sub!

At least not in this game because as you mentioned previously all Norf’s talent is in their midfield

Young doesnt move unless the midfield goes dysfunctional for a long period of time for some reason. That group is complimenting each other perfectly at the momen

Johnson is a thug. Oppo fans are going to hate him, especially if he turns out gun.
He is, and sometimes it is to his own detriment. In a contest he will often choose to play the man rather than chase the ball. It might end up costing him weeks at the tribunal... again.

I to and fro on Davies at this stage to be honest. To specifically answer your questions first
1) I've never seen this intercept game his profile spoke of but we'll see how he goes this year I suppose. He COULD be a reliable option out of defence but we'd need to see experience play a large role in fixing his decision making. He is kind of laconic in decision making and is prone to a howler or two every game (1st year KPD though so not unexpected). His kicking I think his mechanically fine but is impacted by this decision making. As I think more, he will never be as good as Ryan, Chapman or Draper in this regard. He could be a KPD you trust to kick the ball and not * it up but that's about it
2) I think because his best trait in his aggression and competitiveness, he could play on the 2nd KPD at AFL level with a few more preseasons under his belt, he will never be big enough to play on the number 1 KPFs.

Size hurt him last year, a few more preseasons should see that not be an issue. While it's not a big scalp these days, he was very good against Tabs in a preseason game
Could be a Hawthorn Frost you think?

Some absolute wild ideas first up here gang that I just have to put down to it’s the first changes thread of the year and everyone’s still a bit giddy from the great win.

Banners back?? Are you people mad? Hard no to watching him and Hughes try and kick their way through a zone, and he’s a great candidate for doing a job defensively on one of the Roos 3 rebounding half backs (Fisher, Sheezel or McKercher).

Young flat out cannot be moved, to sure up our defence our best move would be to hold our midfield dominance. Him going back would make our team defence worse.

Next man up mentality, Cox’s output was genuinely terrible (still so sad for him ) i think Voss on debut could at least replicate that.

Walker for Worner, think everyone agrees here.

Draper looks next in line between him and Davies, Coleman Jones is a free swing for him and worst case if it starts going wrong we switch Ryan into him and Draper plays on Duursma. Hughes to take Zurhaar which I think will be a great battle.

Draper, Voss and Walker in. JOM in for Erasmus as sub for better versatility and Erasmus to get a full practice game into him.

Back