Summer #Brisbane2032 - Brisbane announced as host of the 2032 Olympics!

Remove this Banner Ad

ABC's live blog from presser with Premier at announcement.

'Suncorp will become our Olympic stadium'

He has announced Suncorp will be the new site.
"I know that I said I'd do what the Quirk review recommended, but I cannot support the option they have landed on," he says.
"This option will allow us to upgrade Suncorp Stadium to a standard to host a fantastic Opening and Closing ceremony."

This is why he thinks it's the best location

• It has 'the best rectangular field in the world'
  • It's already our busiest venue
  • There isn't a bad seat
  • It's well connected to public transport
  • It's surrounded by the Caxton Street precinct
  • It's already the home of Rugby League and union
  • And it's one of our best concert venues

For athletics they'll upgrade QSAC

Premier Miles says the Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre will be "the nation's best athletics facility".
The review rejected that option on the basis of the Olympic access costs.
"The IOC has committed to me that they will work with us to minimise those requirements," he says.

And the government will work with BCC on public transport options.

QSAC for athletics is good 'bang for buck'

Deputy Premier Cameron Dick says it will be a "cost-effective" option.
"This decision will ensure the Games stays within its funding envelope," he says.
"As Treasurer, getting value for money is my number one priority.
"It will keep faith with the IOC new norms.
"This decision will give us maximum bang for buck."

$1b to spend on Suncorp and redeveloping the Gabba

Mr Miles says they're still working on exactly how much will be spent, depending on the QSAC upgrades, but it will still leave in the order of $1 billion to spend between Suncorp and the Gabba - "roughly half-half".

If they are spending $1bil 50/50 on Suncorp and Gabba upgrade, they would probably need to spend at least $500m on QSAC upgrades.

Coates in his press statement said - “The IOC will make available its Games construction experts to advise in respect of the potential upgrades to QSAC, including specifically whether the full $1 billion of suggested upgrades are needed.”

As I have written before they can do the meccano style development London planned for its Olympic stadium, where 80k stadium for the games, then dismantle the top tiers and leave a 25k stadium as home of UK athletics. But governments stepped in and stadium was downsized to 60k and became home of West Ham United and the seats at lower tier move and expose the athletics track that is rarely used eg 2017 World Athletics championships and 2018 Athletics World Cup.

Last edited:
So now they are still spending billions of dollars and getting no new stadium.

And having athletics at that tiny park that aint even a stadium will be one of the greatest embarrassments this country has ever seen. Its not even a commonwealth games standard stadium.
Another Comm games fiasco in the making? or are Qld relying on the Feds to bail them out?

There is only one real stuff up by the BOCOG/government and that's the main stadium.

Rio was the first Olympics to split the ceremonies from the athletics using the Maracana for ceremonies and Estádio Nilton Santos - home of Botafoga in Brazil's Serie A competition, was already a football stadium with an athletics track around it, and was upgraded from a 46k stadium to 60k stadium for the Olympics, and LA in 2028 the ceremonies will be held at Hollywood Park / SoFi Stadium and the athletics at the several times upgraded LA Coliseum which was used in 1932 and 1984 games for athletics and the ceremonies.

So its no biggy given that the ceremonies will be at upgraded Suncorp and the athletics at QSAC.

If they are going to spend up to $1.6bil on upgrading QSAC, you are going to get a great 60k athletics stadium, which already has a warm up track there next to the main stadium. That's one thing the Gabba redevelopment couldn't provide is a warm up track near the stadium and to me looked like it had to be built 4 or 5km away. The Victoria Park proposal looked like the warm up track would be temporary and removed after the games.

It will be a great legacy stadium for athletics in Oz, it just wont be a great new, best bang for bucks multi purpose stadium close to the city and lots of train and other public transport for Brisbane.

I'm stuffed if I know how a new 55k stadium on a greenfield site can cost over $3bil as per the Independent Sports Venue Review recommended.

A 60k seater $1.6bil redeveloped QSAC might not have all the bells and whistles of LA's SoFi stadium which cost an estimated $5bil USD, but its part of a 300 acre redevelopment real estate project, but Brisbane and Oz will get a more than adequate Olympic athletics stadium.

I reckon this was Johnny Coates' long term plan, get a legacy stadium for Olympic sports rather than all the monies go on a cricket and AFL stadium. Coates isn't a fan of AFL - particular all the government largess they have been able to get the last 20 years, at the expense of Olympic sports.

If you read the Independent Sports Venue Review every other stadium/arena is pretty much on track as per the bid documents and any small change the government has accepted, like moving the Breakfast Creek Indoor Sports Precinct (Albion) to a new venue at the relatively nearby alternative Boondall or Zilmere.

If this was a normal Olympics bidding process then September 2025 would be the vote for a 2032 games, but awarding 2 Olympics in September 2017 to Paris and LA changed the timing.

Johnny Coates played it beautifully in the middle of Covid when nobody else was ready for a bid, to convince the rest of the IOC to have a vote on Brisbane, 11 years before the games, which was the only bid. Getting Oz to host another Olympics, using the memory of how great Sydney was run, was Coates last legacy as AOC president, finished up in May 2022 and as IOC Vice-president and basically IOC's #2 man.

Edit attached is the Independent Sports Venue Review

Attachments

• Brisbane Olympics Sport Venue Review.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
This is all pointless anyway, labor is going to lose the election. When they do liberal is just going to completely tear up this plan and do whatever they want to do, they have literally already said this.

If they are going to spend up to $1.6bil on upgrading QSAC, you are going to get a great 60k athletics stadium
A 60k seater $1.6bil redeveloped QSAC
It will be a great legacy stadium for athletics in Oz
I reckon this was Johnny Coates' long term plan, get a legacy stadium for Olympic sports
What are you basing all this on? The review says seating capacity of 40,000 which will then be downgraded to 14,000 after the Olympics.

"The Review Panel also notes that this legacy outcome essentially returns QSAC Stadium to its current functional state...".

In other words, the only long term plan Coates had was to get Suncorp upgraded instead of a new stadium for cricket and AFL.

What are you basing all this on? The review says seating capacity of 40,000 which will then be downgraded to 14,000 after the Olympics.

"The Review Panel also notes that this legacy outcome essentially returns QSAC Stadium to its current functional state...".

In other words, the only long term plan Coates had was to get Suncorp upgraded instead of a new stadium for cricket and AFL.
It's a s**t plan, one that is thankfully going to be scrapped when he loses government.

Fancy spending about $600 Million dollars on QSAC for temporary improvements, * me what a waste of money.

The two big issues I see with QSAC is it's limited access to public transport and the lack of legacy component to the stadium. Victoria Point, The Gabba or Albion proposals tick both of these boxes

What am I basing it on?? A bit of commonsense and real sports people making the final big decisions.

The review said 40k but don't go and use the QSAC, and the government said, stuff that. So I will as well.

Coates got approval for 50k for the Gabba from the IOC, because it was being redeveloped, but the IOC expected 60k for a new stadium. Rio had a 46k stadium upgraded to 60k for athletics. I expect the IOC to step in and say 60k if you are doing a cheapy upgrade.

QSAC currently has 48,500 capacity but a record crowd of 58,912 was for the 1997 Super League Grand Final between the Broncos and Sharks, with temporary seating used to boost capacity.

When it was redeveloped for the 1982 Comm Games, previously being a suburban athletics track opened in 1975, they had 1 grandstand on the western side and those bench aluminium seats that Footy Park in Adelaide used to have and capacity was about 52,000. Those aluminium seats were built on temporary support pillars, to be removed after the Comm Games, but about 36,000 seats, have been secured further and are still there 42 years later.

When the Broncos moved there for the 1993 season (and stayed there until end of 2003 season when they then moved to Suncorp after the big upgrade for the October/November 2003 Rugby World Cup), they built the eastern stand and it got branded ANZ Stadium.

The 2 grandstands, the western stand built for the Comm Games and the eastern stand built for the Broncos moving there in 1993 hold around 12,000 people.

I expect some sort of meccano set design like the London Olympic Stadium design, which was to have 80k for the Olympics, but the 2nd and 3rd tier was to be taken down and a 25k permanent seater home of UK athletics would be part of the design.

In the UK governments intervened post the games, which saw West Ham United get the ground as their home ground, it was downsized to 60k, the athletics track was left but movable seats sit on it most days and apart from 2017 World Athletics Championships and 2018 Athletics World cup, very few other athletics events have been hosted, including a couple of 2 and 3 day community events.

Look at Stadium Australia for the Sydney Olympics. The western and eastern grandstands under the big 200m steel arches had 37,000 seats in each grandstand. At the northern and southern ends there were 5,000 seats at each end that were permanent built into the concrete base.

Then both the northern and southern end above those permanent seats, they built temporary meccano set grandstands that held 15,000 people each at the northern and southern ends. That's 114,000 seats and they allowed for 2,000 standing tickets in each of the eastern and western stand for a maximum capacity of 118,000.

The last night of athletics, I sat 2 rows in front of the cauldron way back in the northern stand. It was a bloody long way back, the gradient was steep, and I could feel the stand shake, especially when the Oz women's 4x400m relay team looked a medal chance as in the end there was about half a second between 2nd and 5th place. Oz finished 5th.

Why couldn't you have 5,000 permanent seats and 15,000 temporary seats at the northern and southern ends like Sydney? That's 40,000 seats there. Ok they don't have to have that big a northern and southern end temporary stands, but 60k capacity isn't an outrageous possibility, and it should fall easily within the $1.6bil budget.

The other thing is, they can build this as a permanent athletics only stadium like the University of Oregon's Hayward Field in Eugene that was used for the 2022 World Athletics championships and have the jumps and throwing events all inside the track and not have some of them on the side of the track, like you get at multi-use stadiums.

QSAC is a 10 lane track. That means the distance north/south is 182.8m x 98.4m east/west
Hayward Field is a 9 lane track which means distances are north/south is 180.4m x 96.0m east/west

At Hayward field for the 100m /110m hurdles you have lane 9 then a gap to the fence which is a bit wider than lane 10 would be, and the first row of seats is effectively lane 11.

Hayward Field is a purpose built athletics only stadium, cost $270m USD, was opened in 2021, has grandstands with 13,000 seats and expanded to 28,000 for the 2022 World Athletics Championships and was mostly paid for by Nike's Phil Knight via his foundation, who ran track during his Uni of Oregon days, under legendary coach Bill Bowerman, who was co-founder of Nike with Knight.

The pictures below show the difference of how close fans can get to the outside lane at Hayward Field compared to QSAC. The other great thing about Hayward Field is that they have a "bulge" grandstand near the finish line so that they can seat more people on or near the finish line. If the Qld government want to, they can do the same sort of things for QSAC and say it will be a true athletics only stadium in the future.

At QSAC currently they can put temporary seating in front of the grandstands and around the ground to get capacity up to 60,000. There is 8 years and 4 months before the Olympics. Plenty of time to get the design right for a 60k stadium at QSAC if in fact it is going to be the final selection for the athletics stadium.

1710834267764.png

The warm up track is on the right hand side and you can see a bit of the blue track to the right of the grandstand.

1710834152710.png

And for those who forgot what Stadium Australia looked like before the $80mil reconfiguration in 2001. The big meccano set stands at the northern and southern end had 15,000 temporary seats in each stand.

1710834366519.png

Last edited:
What am I basing it on?? A bit of commonsense and real sports people making the final big decisions.

The review said 40k but don't go and use the QSAC, and the government said, stuff that. So I will as well.

Coates got approval for 50k for the Gabba from the IOC, because it was being redeveloped, but the IOC expected 60k for a new stadium. Rio had a 46k stadium upgraded to 60k for athletics. I expect the IOC to step in and say 60k if you are doing a cheapy upgrade.

QSAC currently has 48,500 capacity but a record crowd of 58,912 was for the 1997 Super League Grand Final between the Broncos and Sharks, with temporary seating used to boost capacity.

When it was redeveloped for the 1982 Comm Games, previously being a suburban athletics track opened in 1975, they had 1 grandstand on the western side and those bench aluminium seats that Footy Park in Adelaide used to have and capacity was about 52,000. Those aluminium seats were built on temporary support pillars, to be removed after the Comm Games, but about 36,000 seats, have been secured further and are still there 42 years later.

When the Broncos moved there for the 1993 season (and stayed there until end of 2003 season when they then moved to Suncorp after the big upgrade for the October/November 2003 Rugby World Cup), they built the eastern stand and it got branded ANZ Stadium.

The 2 grandstands, the western stand built for the Comm Games and the eastern stand built for the Broncos moving there in 1993 hold around 12,000 people.

I expect some sort of meccano set design like the London Olympic Stadium design, which was to have 80k for the Olympics, but the 2nd and 3rd tier was to be taken down and a 25k permanent seater home of UK athletics would be part of the design.

In the UK governments intervened post the games, which saw West Ham United get the ground as their home ground, it was downsized to 60k, the athletics track was left but movable seats sit on it most days and apart from 2017 World Athletics Championships and 2018 Athletics World cup, very few other athletics events have been hosted, including a couple of 2 and 3 day community events.

Look at Stadium Australia for the Sydney Olympics. The western and eastern grandstands under the big 200m steel arches had 37,000 seats in each grandstand. At the northern and southern ends there were 5,000 seats at each end that were permanent built into the concrete base.

Then both the northern and southern end above those permanent seats, they built temporary meccano set grandstands that held 15,000 people each at the northern and southern ends. That's 114,000 seats and they allowed for 2,000 standing tickets in each of the eastern and western stand for a maximum capacity of 118,000.

The last night of athletics, I sat 2 rows in front of the cauldron way back in the northern stand. It was a bloody long way back, the gradient was steep, and I could feel the stand shake, especially when the Oz women's 4x400m relay team looked a medal chance as in the end there was about half a second between 2nd and 5th place. Oz finished 5th.

Why couldn't you have 5,000 permanent seats and 15,000 temporary seats at the northern and southern ends like Sydney? That's 40,000 seats there. Ok they don't have to have that big a northern and southern end temporary stands, but 60k capacity isn't an outrageous possibility, and it should fall easily within the $1.6bil budget.

The other thing is, they can build this as a permanent athletics only stadium like the University of Oregon's Hayward Field in Eugene that was used for the 2022 World Athletics championships and have the jumps and throwing events all inside the track and not have some of them on the side of the track, like you get at multi-use stadiums.

QSAC is a 10 lane track. That means the distance north/south is 182.8m x 98.4m east/west
Hayward Field is a 9 lane track which means distances are north/south is 180.4m x 96.0m east/west

At Hayward field for the 100m /110m hurdles you have lane 9 then a gap to the fence which is a bit wider than lane 10 would be, and the first row of seats is effectively lane 11.

Hayward Field is a purpose built athletics only stadium, cost $270m USD, was opened in 2021, has grandstands with 13,000 sets and expanded to 28,000 for the 2022 World Athletics Championships and was mostly paid for by Nike's Phil Knight via his foundation, who ran track during his Uni of Oregon days, under legendary coach Bill Bowerman, who was co-founder of Nike with Knight.

The pictures below show the difference of how close fans can get to the outside lane at Hayward Field compared to QSAC. The other great thing about Hayward Field is that they have a "bulge" grandstand near the finish line so that they can seat more people on or near the finish line. If the Qld government want to, they can do the same sort of things for QSAC and say it will be a true athletics only stadium in the future.

At QSAC currently they can put temporary seating in front of the grandstands and around the ground to get capacity up to 60,000. There is 8 years and 4 months before the Olympics. Plenty of time to get the design right for a 60k stadium at QSAC if in fact it is going to be the final selection for the athletics stadium.
Non-sequiturs about the athletics stadiums for the Sydney and London Olympics are bizarre. Those venues have retained a high % of capacity post-Games, signed lucrative tenants, and constantly attracted major concert acts. None of that is going to happen with the QSAC proposal, but it'll still cost $1.6 billion.

Keen observers would note Mr. Handball used the word "legacy" three times in his first post, but not once in his even longer rant after being questioned about it.

Also used "temporary" 7 times in the 2nd post (as in "temporary facilities are great"), after avoiding the word in the first post. Oh wait, he did use it once... to disparage the Victoria Park proposal.

Quite a pivot.

Non-sequiturs about the athletics stadiums for the Sydney and London Olympics are bizarre. Those venues have retained a high % of capacity post-Games, signed lucrative tenants, and constantly attracted major concert acts. None of that is going to happen with the QSAC proposal, but it'll still cost $1.6 billion.
How is London some sort of bizarre non-sequitur?? The Sydney example was one about scale of temporary short term capacity.

UK athletics for at least 7 years and closer to 9, were told the legacy of the London Olympics was they would have a new permanent home. The IOC members voted on that proposal. LOCOG and the UK government did their budgets based it on a build of 80k then a reduction to 25k capacity. Then after the Olympics politicians intervened over the next 18-24 months and stole UK Athletics' promised legacy. Too late for IOC to get upset, and a better long term bang for buck for UK taxpayers, but that's not what LOCOG promised.

That was never proposed for Brisbane / Oz and athletics in the original bid book, but now there is the opportunity to change it.

Keen observers would note Mr. Handball used the word "legacy" three times in his first post, but not once in his even longer rant after being questioned about it.
So if you don't see the word legacy you can't comprehend the concept??

Why do you reckon I used the Hayward Field in Eugene example in my second post?? Its the type of legacy athletics in Australia would be left with if the Qld government agreed to an athletics only stadium like Hayward Field and not a multi-purpose stadium with a combo of permanent and temporary seating. And an athletics stadium where the crowd is as close as Lane 11 or Lane 12, will produce a lot better experience.

But mummy, mummy, he didn't use the word legacy in his post!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is London some sort of bizarre non-sequitur?? The Sydney example was one about scale of temporary short term capacity.
London and Sydney put their stadiums to appropriate use, in accordance to the money spent on them. Complete opposite of the QSAC proposal.

So if you don't see the word legacy you can't comprehend the concept??

Why do you reckon I used the Hayward Field in Eugene example in my second post?? Its the type of legacy athletics in Australia would be left with if the Qld government agreed to an athletics only stadium like Hayward Field and not a multi-purpose stadium with a combo of permanent and temporary seating. And an athletics stadium where the crowd is as close as Lane 11 or Lane 12, will produce a lot better experience.

But mummy, mummy, he didn't use the word legacy in his post!
I have no idea why you're comparing the $1.6b QSAC proposal to a $400m college venue.

You went from "it will be a great 60k legacy stadium" to "it will be a 14k dump costing 4x more than necessary".

The popularity of sport in Australia, mixed with Australia being a popular destination as a tourist, means that anything less than an 80,000 seat stadium for the athletics is a shocking decision which will see many people missing out on seeing the athletics in person.

There is only one real stuff up by the BOCOG/government and that's the main stadium.

Rio was the first Olympics to split the ceremonies from the athletics using the Maracana for ceremonies and Estádio Nilton Santos - home of Botafoga in Brazil's Serie A competition, was already a football stadium with an athletics track around it, and was upgraded from a 46k stadium to 60k stadium for the Olympics, and LA in 2028 the ceremonies will be held at Hollywood Park / SoFi Stadium and the athletics at the several times upgraded LA Coliseum which was used in 1932 and 1984 games for athletics and the ceremonies.

So its no biggy given that the ceremonies will be at upgraded Suncorp and the athletics at QSAC.

If they are going to spend up to $1.6bil on upgrading QSAC, you are going to get a great 60k athletics stadium, which already has a warm up track there next to the main stadium. That's one thing the Gabba redevelopment couldn't provide is a warm up track near the stadium and to me looked like it had to be built 4 or 5km away. The Victoria Park proposal looked like the warm up track would be temporary and removed after the games.

It will be a great legacy stadium for athletics in Oz, it just wont be a great new, best bang for bucks multi purpose stadium close to the city and lots of train and other public transport for Brisbane.

I'm stuffed if I know how a new 55k stadium on a greenfield site can cost over $3bil as per the Independent Sports Venue Review recommended.

A 60k seater $1.6bil redeveloped QSAC might not have all the bells and whistles of LA's SoFi stadium which cost an estimated $5bil USD, but its part of a 300 acre redevelopment real estate project, but Brisbane and Oz will get a more than adequate Olympic athletics stadium.

I reckon this was Johnny Coates' long term plan, get a legacy stadium for Olympic sports rather than all the monies go on a cricket and AFL stadium. Coates isn't a fan of AFL - particular all the government largess they have been able to get the last 20 years, at the expense of Olympic sports.

If you read the Independent Sports Venue Review every other stadium/arena is pretty much on track as per the bid documents and any small change the government has accepted, like moving the Breakfast Creek Indoor Sports Precinct (Albion) to a new venue at the relatively nearby alternative Boondall or Zilmere.

If this was a normal Olympics bidding process then September 2025 would be the vote for a 2032 games, but awarding 2 Olympics in September 2017 to Paris and LA changed the timing.

Johnny Coates played it beautifully in the middle of Covid when nobody else was ready for a bid, to convince the rest of the IOC to have a vote on Brisbane, 11 years before the games, which was the only bid. Getting Oz to host another Olympics, using the memory of how great Sydney was run, was Coates last legacy as AOC president, finished up in May 2022 and as IOC Vice-president and basically IOC's #2 man.

Edit attached is the Independent Sports Venue Review
The qsac stadium will be torn down the day after the Olympics. It will only exist for 14 days. And I don't think it's going to be 60 thousand. 40 thousand is what I'm hearing. 1.6 billion dollars and nothing to show for it. That is the definition of white elephant.

The popularity of sport in Australia, mixed with Australia being a popular destination as a tourist, means that anything less than an 80,000 seat stadium for the athletics is a shocking decision which will see many people missing out on seeing the athletics in person.
Agree. But 80 thousand is out of the question. Both QLD parties aren't even willing to build a 55 thousand seat stadium.

Its an utter disaster. As I said all along, Queensland is simply not big enough for an Olympics.

The qsac stadium will be torn down the day after the Olympics. It will only exist for 14 days. And I don't think it's going to be 60 thousand. 40 thousand is what I'm hearing. 1.6 billion dollars and nothing to show for it. That is the definition of white elephant.

Yes. It will have the lowest capacity since Amsterdam 104 years ago.

Yes. It will have the lowest capacity since Amsterdam 104 years ago.
Yep its ridiculous.

And if they wont to low ball the capacity they should just stick with the gabba. No need to spend 1.6 billion on a 40 thousand stadium in the middle of nowhere when they have a 40 thousand seat stadium in the city at the gabba already which is also getting a 1 billion revamp.

Busing everyone from the city to mt gravatt for an olympics athletics competition is just going to be embarrassing.

Yep its ridiculous.

And if they wont to low ball the capacity they should just stick with the gabba. No need to spend 1.6 billion on a 40 thousand stadium in the middle of nowhere when they have a 40 thousand seat stadium in the city at the gabba already which is also getting a 1 billion revamp.

Busing everyone from the city to mt gravatt for an olympics athletics competition is just going to be embarrassing.

The costsings of the different options are effectively this:

1710901115526.jpeg

And the most expensive option (the one they have chosen) delivers the least assets post olympics.

Yeah the actual vic park stadium build is around $2b I think. The rest of the $$$ is effectively transforming that space. There will be a huge legacy benefit.

The 40,000 comes from the independent Sports Venue Review report pages 24 to 29. They also briefly consider a 30,000 stadium.

The stadium wont be torn down the day after the Olympics, downsized, recommended to 14,000 by the review, but not all torn down. And it wont be overnight.

The report basically said $600m is for the legacy component and $1bil for the operational component including operational requirement works (concrete) podium, transport, temporary seating etc.

The QSAC upgrade for the 1982 Comm Games when it was called the QE II stadium had a capacity of 52,000 with 6,000 in the western stand and 46,000 seats in temporary aluminium stands/bays. Those temporary seats were supposed to go after a few years.

41.5 years later 36,000 of those temporary seats are still in place, reinforced and fortified a few times over those 41.5 years. Sure it looks cheap, probably doesn't pass a lot of building code requirements especially disable access, but they have served their purpose over the year with the Broncos playing there for 11 season, 2 state of origin games in 2001-02 whilst Suncorp was being redeveloped, the 2001 Goodwill Games and concerts over the years, etc etc.

In 2006 Athletics Australia made a simultaneous bid for either the 2011 or 2013 IAAF/now World Athletics Championships to be staged at QSAC and it would have received a significant upgrade with funding from state and federal government. I think it was either $100m or close to it. Daegu in South Korea got the 2011 championships awarded in December 2006 and in March 2007 Moscow was awarded the 2013 championships.

I would expect Oz to make a bid for either 2035 or 2037 World Athletics Championships using QSAC Olympic facilities so that would mean it wont be downsized much after 2032, if the bid is successful, and then a decision would be made post World Athletics Championship hosting.

London hosted 2012 Olympics and the reconfigured stadium was used for 2017 World Championships. Bejing hosted the 2008 Olympics and the Bird Nest stadium was used in the 2015 World Championships. Tokyo hosted 2020 Olympics in 2021, thanks covid, and the National Stadium will be used for the 2025 World Championships. The Bird Nest in Beijing will once again host the Championships in 2027.

5 months before the Brisbane team lodged its Bid Book in mid 2021 with the IOC, the 80k stadium at Albion on the trotting track greenfield site, 3 train stations NE of Central station, with 5 train lines passing thru the station was the preferred option.

Then Coates managed to talk the IOC down to a 60k stadium would be acceptable a couple of months later, and based on this and the new Cross River Rail project had started in 2020 with a new Woolloongabba train station and trams feeding into it also planned, the Qld government convinced Coates to get the IOC to accept a 50k stadium as part of its drive to make the Games a more affordable option and use more existing infrastructure by bidding cities. So the Gabba went into the Bid Book in late May/early June 2021.

I never saw a detailed discussion of costs for the 80k and 60k Albion option but what little figures were discussed was that it would be $1bil to $1.3bil range and its probably why the Gabba knockdown and rebuild was costed at $1bil, as a new oval shaped 60k stadium meant the death of the Gabba and not maximising the new heavy and light rail infrastructure that had already started to help serve the Gabba and surrounding suburbs.

I'm stuffed if I know what has happened to construction costs in the last few years. Covid, supply chain problems, inflation, construction companies falling over, interest rate rises, real wages increasing, projected costs in future dollars, all mean things are more expensive than 2020 costings but its hard to believe that the Sydney Football Stadium, had a $100m cost blown out between 2020 and 2022 construction period, but the average cost per seat was $20,000 and now we are looking at $40,000 per seat for the QSAC and almost $60,000 per seat for the Victoria Park option.

Something has gone terrible wrong somewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back