The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess the question is will the roof be solid or will it be translucent?
They’ve said for over a year now that it will be translucent like the roof on Forsyth-Barr stadium (Dunedin). It’s much cheaper to build than a solid roof and it also makes the ongoing costs less because the grass can be exposed to natural light.

3 years of gather round might do the trick.

With 19 an uneven number have tas play Thursday then again the following Tuesday
The remaining 8 games 1 Fri 3 sat 3 sun 1 mon sat sun double headers or use Blundstone or York park

17 Hobart 7 York park yearly for 3 years ( which only needs minimal investment) is 1 more than Perth stadium gets now
Yep gather round in Tassie for 28,29 and 30.

Trust me. The roof will be what makes this stadium great and worth building. I hope the AFL does not budge an inch.

Nobody will care if the stadium costs $550m, $650m or $715m. It's all the same to them. Getting rid of the roof, the only part that will make this stadium attractive to international acts over other potential venues, would be the the biggest waste of money possible. Remember this isn't just an AFL stadium, and you might be the 0.1% of AFL purest who loves watching wet and windy games of football from underneath your raincoat while you shiver in the cold, but the vast majority dont. Even if they did, it would still make the stadium less multi-purpose.

It has to be able to host MONA festivals, concerts, exhibitions and cricket. The roof is 100% essential.

As someone who is an MCC member and a member of Marvel tenanted club.

There is absolutely nothing better than being on the train in to Marvel on a cold winter day when it's pissing down outside knowing the conditions are perfect. Not to mention trying to juggle kids in these conditions. The roof is the best thing about Marvel, hands down even vs marvels steep stands being probably the best place to watch football in the country.

The MCG is an absolute hell hole in these conditions and it happens a lot. Anyone who "enjoys" sitting in the rain in 10 degrees on a Sunday afternoon game is talking complete s**t

Magnify this by 10 fold for the wind etc experienced down in Hobart.

An ETFE roof on an oval playing field would be a show stopper also. It would instantly be one of the more iconic grounds in the country and I think somewhere most people would want to attend once.

With no roof, it's basically Giants Stadium or Metricon.....

30k with the ability to expand in future would be ideal. 23k is definitely too small, especially if it's constructed in a way that prohibits increasing capacity in future.

As someone who has been involved in the construction of many stadiums.

You have one shot at this in terms of the capacity.

There will be no future expansion if your government is already squabbling over a few hundred million over a roof.

Stadium expansions are extremely expensive. Obviously if you have a roof, the expansion potential is almost zero.

With cost blowouts, Kardinia Parks final expansion costs aren't far off the cost of your entire stadium.

As someone who is an MCC member and a member of Marvel tenanted club.

There is absolutely nothing better than being on the train in to Marvel on a cold winter day when it's pissing down outside knowing the conditions are perfect. Not to mention trying to juggle kids in these conditions. The roof is the best thing about Marvel, hands down even vs marvels steep stands being probably the best place to watch football in the country.

The MCG is an absolute hell hole in these conditions and it happens a lot. Anyone who "enjoys" sitting in the rain in 10 degrees on a Sunday afternoon game is talking complete s**t

Magnify this by 10 fold for the wind etc experienced down in Hobart.

An ETFE roof on an oval playing field would be a show stopper also. It would instantly be one of the more iconic grounds in the country and I think somewhere most people would want to attend once.

With no roof, it's basically Giants Stadium or Metricon.....
Hobart can definitely be windy at times but it definitely isn't Wellington in New Zealand for example.

As someone who has been involved in the construction of many stadiums.

You have one shot at this in terms of the capacity.

There will be no future expansion if your government is already squabbling over a few hundred million over a roof.

Stadium expansions are extremely expensive. Obviously if you have a roof, the expansion potential is almost zero.

With cost blowouts, Kardinia Parks final expansion costs aren't far off the cost of your entire stadium.
I agree with what you are saying although the stadium is going to be designed in a way so it can be expanded up to 40,000 even with a roof.

Hobart can definitely be windy at times but it definitely isn't Wellington in New Zealand for example.

I've been to enough games at Blundstone now to know it can blow and be freezing.

Melbourne itself can be an arctic shithole for 80% of the winter games.

The roof will be the biggest attraction for travelling sports fans and your tourism dollars imo.

I agree with what you are saying although the stadium is going to be designed in a way so it can be expanded up to 40,000 even with a roof.

Wont happen.

Every new stadium in Australia "is designed in a way for future expansion".

AAMI Park was given the same caveat when it was released. AAMI park would cost about $25,000 per seat to expand.

It's a line item and some minor engineering designed to keep down criticism when they announce a 23,000 seat stadium.

With the roof, you can add 100% to the forecasted costs.

In my view, you should build a 30,000-35,000 seater with a ETFE roof. You can then be a major player for major events around the country with concerts, soccer, cricket, rugby etc.

Even if they aren't lying when they say this (some people enjoy ice baths too), they have to realise they are a total minority and most people don't enjoy that. Most people don't enjoy watching wet weather football either, and when it comes to economic benefits of a stadium, catering to what "most people" want is incredibly important.

How do you save much money on the stadium?
No roof, $50-$75mil, but then you get just a football stadium.
Somewhere else, marginal savings if a better site to build on is used, $50 - $75 mil maybe.
Cost cutting, super basic stadium, maybe $50m.
Mac point is a risky site for a big build so will have fat contingency, but thats not real money.
So savings of $150m - $200m, you end up with a cheap sh1t stadium on your water front for the world to see... bad idea.
If its Mac Point it has to be first class, nothing else will do it... It will be a shame if that site is not used, but if politicos want to game it & cheap out so be it.

If I was going to "renegotiate" anything as the AFL I would consider offering more games at the new ground... Some extra games against Melboune clubs at the new ground for several years. That would help the business case. UTAS keeps 4 (incl Hawks v Devils, an "away" game). Hobart gets Roos v Devils (an "away" game) plus a couple more each year. You can then have 11 games in Hobart. Use the new stadium more is the answer, not a cheaper stadium.
I think it's absolutely fair for the Hawks to play a home game in Launceston still. Every other club gets at least 12 home games (due to having at least two teams in their state).

The other way the AFL could "sweeten" the deal would be to commit to having gather round in Tassie in the first few years of the club's existence.

What are the next steps in relation to the stadium? And when would construction begin?

Obviously we have a state election to get through this weekend.

What are the next steps in relation to the stadium? And when would construction begin?

The stadium is currently going through the POSS process and they will either recommend it for approval or recommend it not to be approved sometime in 2025. It will then go to both houses to be voted on and construction most like won't start until 2026 if approved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here’s the construction timeline from the stadium business case. Construction is slated to begin after POSS approval - sometime in early 2025. Even though they have POSS to get through, the government have still been proceeding with all of the pre-planning, procurement etc. Therefore, it hopefully won’t take too long after approval before they get started. Obviously, if POSS gets rejected by the parliament then they’ll be in a world of trouble (this is another reason why the election on Saturday is so significant), but we just have to play the waiting game.

Attachments

• 1E0936D8-B3A4-4375-8AD1-E28BBC1AC26E.jpeg
    1E0936D8-B3A4-4375-8AD1-E28BBC1AC26E.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 19
Wont happen.

Every new stadium in Australia "is designed in a way for future expansion".

AAMI Park was given the same caveat when it was released. AAMI park would cost about $25,000 per seat to expand.

It's a line item and some minor engineering designed to keep down criticism when they announce a 23,000 seat stadium.

With the roof, you can add 100% to the forecasted costs.

In my view, you should build a 30,000-35,000 seater with a ETFE roof. You can then be a major player for major events around the country with concerts, soccer, cricket, rugby etc.
Have you any idea whether Australia's 'other new stadiums' were completed within their envisaged budgets?
And if not, how much more of a financial burden were the stakeholders forced to bank roll.

If it comes across as a pessimistic outlook regarding the history of major building projects far exceeding their proposed costs...then that's what I'm predicting.
And it's also what the government should be communicating.

This membership drive will provide a conundrum for both the Tasmanian Government and the AFL.

If there is a no vote for a new stadium with a roof, will the AFL compromise?

If there is no vote for a new stadium all together, does the Tasmanian government ignore the membership support?

This membership drive will provide a conundrum for both the Tasmanian Government and the AFL.

If there is a no vote for a new stadium with a roof, will the AFL compromise?

If there is no vote for a new stadium all together, does the Tasmanian government ignore the membership support?
It would definitely be a big loss to not get a team after all the work put in to getting it and we will most likely never get another chance.

Marvel is my favourite venue to watch the footy at mainly due to the roof.

For the occasional game I don't mind an outdoor stadium in poor conditions, but I can guarantee you that on a Friday night after a long week, when it's blowing a gale and the rain is hammering in sideways and it's 5 degrees outside, there's no way in hell I'm bundling up the kids to go out the footy*.

*At an outdoor stadium.

Last edited:
What capacity are we thinking for this? 30k? Less?

Regardless on what it is, my girlfriend(Who is from Hobart) and myself will be flying over from the States to attend at some point. Being founding members of the Devils is so cool and can't wait for the first game!

What capacity are we thinking for this? 30k? Less?

Regardless on what it is, my girlfriend(Who is from Hobart) and myself will be flying over from the States to attend at some point. Being founding members of the Devils is so cool and can't wait for the first game!
They are building a 23,000 all seater stadium with the option to increase capacity upto 40,000 if it's ever required.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on what's going to happen now, with some kind of coalition government in control?

I guess the Lambie crew will hold the Libs to ransom over everything needed to pass through parliament. The Jacks will get some wins in their preferred vectors of health, housing, cost of living etc and JR will get his stadium. Doesn't really matter the state is going to fall into massive debt in the near future either way.

I remember this great quote from an ex UK MP who said, "Political decisions are a lot like sausages, If you are going to have to swallow them it's best not to know how they are made" ;)

Back