Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

The elephant in the room is going to be Sanders and the new Tassie team.

Surely the AFL won’t screw us like they did with GWS and Ward.
Why would the AFL care we aren't a big club with a big following to flex too make them want to do anything to appease us.
Can absolutely see another Ward type shafting happening again.
We will squeal about it but AFL will just do us over yet again. Only have to take a look at our AFLW team has been decimated to see where we sit in the scheme of the league

We can debate about whether we should have given him more games for tactical reasons (and given that we were playing well in 2021 broadly you can argue we made the right choices), but in terms of contract, we offered Lipinski as good a deal as he was getting anywhere else. He wanted security of game time, which is understandable - and while he's played a good game here, it's not as if he's been a lock in the Pies' best 22 in his time there, which shows you that he's not necessarily guaranteed himself more game time than what he had at the last couple of years at the Dogs.
The big knock on Lipinski was that his defensive efforts were poor and in particular his tackling. I don’t actually think he’s made that much progress on that score but it might just be something Collingwood don’t worry about for him.

I do recall some pretty bad efforts (including a shocker late in the 2020 final against St Kilda). If it had been me I would have played him more but I do understand why he wasn’t played every week.

Actually it's definitely something to ponder. We do unrest better than most clubs I reckon.

Am I just imagining that?
I actually agree. We’ve had a lot of crises (particularly the three times in my lifetime we’ve been close to folding).

Interestingly enough back around the Eade era some of my Essendon supporter mates said they thought we had a good culture.

It surprised me a bit at the time but since the 80s we’ve had a legitimate crack at the flag, done our time rebuilding and then had another crack around 7 years later (1985, 1992, 1997-99, 2008-10, 2016 and 2021).

I’ve wished at times we were more professional, wealthy and ruthless but I do think as a club we keep our heads down and keep working regardless of the circumstances, and better than many others.

The big knock on Lipinski was that his defensive efforts were poor and in particular his tackling. I don’t actually think he’s made that much progress on that score but it might just be something Collingwood don’t worry about for him.

I do recall some pretty bad efforts (including a shocker late in the 2020 final against St Kilda). If it had been me I would have played him more but I do understand why he wasn’t played every week.

We have been quite poor as a tackling club for a while (overall, of course some excellent ones like Libba/Bont/Macrae).

But that’s also youth, if a 23yo is missing tackles like they were at 18 it’s a different issue, which may be part of the reason he was moved on. Game plan too, we’ve been contest-focused for a decade plus and Collingwood won a flag with a focus on quick ball movement & spread.

With that, you can carry others easier, this board would crucify Hoskin-Elliot as he’s so outside he lives in a tent, but he was playing a crucial role for them and did it well.

Why would the AFL care we aren't a big club with a big following to flex too make them want to do anything to appease us.
We will squeal about it but AFL will just do us over yet again. Only have to take a look at our AFLW team has been decimated to see where we sit in the scheme of the league
The "small club" thing is a bit of a furphy these days, IMO.
We're actually pretty well run off-field.
We seem to make a profit each year, we have assets and strong cashflow.

As a supporter base, we revert to the poor-old-Dogs attitude when things go wrong, when we really should be thinking of ourselves a solid club in all respects.

The more we see ourselves as a strong member of the league, the bigger we will become.

I reckon our attitude, as a collective, is about 15 years behind the reality. So is everyone else's opinion of us. It's a lag that we don't need.

Time that attitude changed.

Interestingly enough back around the Eade era some of my Essendon supporter mates said they thought we had a good culture.
There were probably two big moments that changed the club.

One was the $20 million we got from the Howard government in 2004 to upgrade funding. That was a gift.

The other was when Jason Akermanis, however his time ended and how he's a persona non grata since, was convinced to come to us. He was legitimately being chased by half the league and even he writes in his book about the perception about the Dogs being a poor club that can't recruit players of his type, and being pleasantly surprised about what he was being sold.

They're not things that get talked a lot about here, but they're two key ways off and on the field we left the Dogs of old behind us and became a modern, equal club in the AFL.

How has he not been in Collingwood's best 22? he has played pretty much every week since he arrived there
Yet he was still sub for their Grand Final team

Is it such a bad thing that 3-4 senior players are looking at moving on? I assume we are talking Daniel, Macrae and others who are on the fringe now. We need to keep refreshing the team. It’s life… Most teams can usually only carry 3-5 older players and even less if the teams not competitive.

Yet he was still sub for their Grand Final team
So he has played every game when not injured in 2 and a bit years, plays one as sub and that is your argument that he is not in best 22 and would have had same opportunity? That has got to be the weakest argument and use of fact gymnastics I've seen in a long time. Maybe we can get Crisp as he played 1 game as sub this year so clearly isn't in their 22 either 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Macrae will go. CD is an interesting one. I cannot understand why bevo doesn't play him in the high hf role as he has that coming to the stoppage. It's an out number at the source and CDs footskills somewhat eliminates the spare defender that doesn't roll up with him. It's the perfect role for him

I don't think Macrae will go. CD is an interesting one. I cannot understand why bevo doesn't play him in the high hf role as he has that coming to the stoppage. It's an out number at the source and CDs footskills somewhat eliminates the spare defender that doesn't roll up with him. It's the perfect role for him
CD is a defensive liability - it's a big risk that teams will rebound from half back through CD and his opponent. He is the easiest player to push off the ball and is slow and short. Great when he has the ball but a problem when he doesn't.

Didn't we offer Ward a dodgy contact?
And if Sanders leaves, shouldn't we point fingers at "Beast Mode" Power, rather than cry AFL conspiracy?

Actually it's definitely something to ponder. We do unrest better than most clubs I reckon.

Am I just imagining that?
You can actually watch a movie regarding how well we sooked up the Joyce era.
Wallace's departure wasn't much better.

Also offer Harley Reid anything he wants that should be on the whiteboard in Powers office
Not sure there’s much chance of that haha

I was thinking though what if we offered the sanders pick and English for pick 1 last offseason? I doubt the Eagles agree to that but Reid in our midfield set up would be pretty amazing (even without English)

I do think Sanders will be a good player though.

Didn't we offer Ward a dodgy contact?
And if Sanders leaves, shouldn't we point fingers at "Beast Mode" Power, rather than cry AFL conspiracy?
My memory's a bit hazy on the Ward era (60 games at the Dogs) but IIRC it was as much that we didn't anticipate the way the expansion clubs would operate and failed to lock him in to a contract over that period. If we'd offered a tad more (like maybe $50k pa) at the right time he probably would have signed before the Giants rolled into town laden with large bags of money. (Some will say "but then we might not have got Macrae" but Ward was at least as good as Macrae so we were still every chance to win the 2016 flag.)

As for Sam Power, much as we sing his praises there have been a few eyebrow-raising renewals and signings recently. I can probably live with a few dubious signings and maybe even the overly-generous contract years of some of the renewals as long as we lock in our key top 10 players (and you can leave Libba out of that because he's a year by year renewal who is no flight risk at all).

I'm still not entirely happy with the draft assets we had to give up for Sanders either but if he turns out as good as some say he'll be (and we can get him to stay long term) then I'll probably put those scruples aside.

The "small club" thing is a bit of a furphy these days, IMO.
We're actually pretty well run off-field.
We seem to make a profit each year, we have assets and strong cashflow.

As a supporter base, we revert to the poor-old-Dogs attitude when things go wrong, when we really should be thinking of ourselves a solid club in all respects.

The more we see ourselves as a strong member of the league, the bigger we will become.

I reckon our attitude, as a collective, is about 15 years behind the reality. So is everyone else's opinion of us. It's a lag that we don't need.

Time that attitude changed.

Absolutely - we have a very good balance sheet - better than most.

Shaking the battling dogs tag is impossible, I don’t GAF.

I used to get smashed by my mates as a dogs supporter - that stopped many years ago when we became a very consistent and reasonably successful side and started regularly beating the big 4.

I now have enough ammunition to easily win any banter - so much so that I have to instigate it these days.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My memory's a bit hazy on the Ward era (60 games at the Dogs) but IIRC it was as much that we didn't anticipate the way the expansion clubs would operate and failed to lock him in to a contract over that period. If we'd offered a tad more (like maybe $50k pa) at the right time he probably would have signed before the Giants rolled into town laden with large bags of money. (Some will say "but then we might not have got Macrae" but Ward was at least as good as Macrae so we were still every chance to win the 2016 flag.)

As for Sam Power, much as we sing his praises there have been a few eyebrow-raising renewals and signings recently. I can probably live with a few dubious signings and maybe even the overly-generous contract years of some of the renewals as long as we lock in our key top 10 players (and you can leave Libba out of that because he's a year by year renewal who is no flight risk at all).

I'm still not entirely happy with the draft assets we had to give up for Sanders either but if he turns out as good as some say he'll be (and we can get him to stay long term) then I'll probably put those scruples aside.
I'm not overly fussed with Power, but I piss my pants laughing everytime I hear "beast mode".

Macrae is far better than Ward, nothing to do with the "beast mode"

Sanders will probably captain Tassie. He is gone already, that's why he slipped so "beast mode" could draft him where he did
We are in the now, so we recruited a gone kid for the now.

The feeling was Dunkley was leaving,and their was a certain coolness from the players towards him. Bont who he had been so close with, was suddenly never seen off field with him anymore. I don’t get that feeling so much with Baz. He certainly shows he is more invested in the Bulldogs than Dunkley.
Yes, all those selfies with the Daicos brothers tells me he is fully committed to the Dogs.

I'm not overly fussed with Power, but I piss my pants laughing everytime I hear "beast mode".

Macrae is far better than Ward, nothing to do with the "beast mode"

Sanders will probably captain Tassie. He is gone already, that's why he slipped so "beast mode" could draft him where he did
We are in the now, so we recruited a gone kid for the now.
It's amusing when you constantly have a go at others for posting in "absolute certainties" and then you post this drivel with certainty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back