Autopsy Round 6, 2024 : Hawks skittle Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Teamwork talks at Hawthorn and that was a great team effort today against North.

Strange game. First 9 minutes North dominated. We couldnt get the ball past the centre square and then BANG, something happened and we piled on goal after goal.

Thought MacDonald was the player in the 1st Quarter that got us moving. He was just everywhere driving the ball forward.

In the 2nd it was McKenzie. Same thing, just cutting North off and driving the ball forward or looking for and more importantly, picking the best option to kick or pass to.

3rd qrt Chol did some 1% things that mattered and kicked some goals.

Final qrt was more the defence as a collective.

Midfield group including Meek was excellent. Nash back to his old self. Worps and Newk in and under everything.

Go Hawks

Good to have a win - players returning and maybe the confidence boost they need to see a few more wins

Happy that Sam retains his record over Clarkson

Nice to win. Still wasn't quite sure if they were going to play the theme song or the Benny Hill music by the end. We have a bit of work to do.

We probably don’t win that game against any other team. North are VFL level at best.

Sing the song and bring the mouth Guards back to training on Tuesday, we have lots of work to do.

We played better than North to win the game. But that isn’t hard to do.

The amount of really basic and bad errors in the second half would have head us under the torch against anyone else, even with a 40 point lead. Lots of room for improvement but a win should hopefully provide some confidence and belief to do better.

It is nice to think we might get a few key players back and nothing would be more pleasing than to knock of the Swans. One can hope.

In the 2nd it was McKenzie. Same thing, just cutting North off and driving the ball forward or looking for and more importantly, picking the best option to kick or pass to.

Mackenzie’s glimpses of his best are absolutely a delight. I think he shows more at this stage of his career than Day did, so if he follows a similar trajectory when he gets to game 50 he’ll be bloody terrific to watch.

We probably don’t win that game against any other team. North are VFL level at best.

Sing the song and bring the mouth Guards back to training on Tuesday, we have lots of work to do.
Negativity after a win for such a young team annoys the crap out of me. We should have beat the reigning premiers 2 whole weeks ago. A lot of talent not playing today. Day, Lewis, Watson, Jiath, Ward and Breust* to name a few. Dear and McCabe are exciting key position prospects. This season is all about player development and we saw some nice glimpses of what Mckenzie, Macdonald, Ginnivan, Mitchell and Weddle in particular are capable of!

Sam Mitchell and the coaches need a good pat on the back too .
Team/club rightfully copped it last week and Sam was able to pull the right triggers during the week to get a response.
A wins a win but it was a 7 goal belting when I was expecting a grafting 3 goal win.

Confidence is king.
Maybe not beaten any side but Adel, Rich or North… possibly Saints.. but once the gorilla sized monkey is off the back as per last year the belief grows as they know they can do it.

The pressure was high today and we rose above it. I’ve no doubt the Hall of fame dinner came at the right time.

Don't want to dwell too much on North in this thread because I'm happy we've got the win, but I can't be the only one that thinks Xerri has only been good on the stats sheet this year. I feel like clubs just don't give a s**t about playing on him because he keeps taking it out of the ruck himself and it goes nowhere. Great individual stats, but I've watched quite a few North games this year and he's making their mids less effective.
Absolutely spot on. Bloke doesn't venture far past the middle of the ground either. Instead of being down the line for the bailout kicks he wants to ruck every minute of the game. Sure he won the hitouts but Meek had much more influence around the ground because he played like an actual ruckman does and got up and down the ground. That one passage of play when Xerri took it out of the ruck unopposed than a quick kick ended up with Meek who was playing a kick behind the play is what I'm talking about. You don't have to nominate for every ruck contest if your opponent isn't contesting. Way too worried about doing his own thing and not what Meek was doing.

Nice to finally get a win. First half was pretty good. Second half was ok.

Nice to see a few players under pressure step up. Here’s hoping they can go on with it next week. Hopefully Day comes back next week, and maybe brust if fit.

Midfield was a lot better, but it’s hard to gauge when you’re playing north. Next week against the swans will be a massive test. Happy for the boys and all the supporters who got to bloddy shittyhad this evening. Hopefully we just go on with it next week.

I read the centre of Glenferrie Oval on the train this afternoon. It said 19-5. H&A Season 2024 Premiers :D
The streak has started. It is our destiny. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frost being sensational today takes nothing away from his previous good games.

How many contests did he impact when peeling off his man? How many spoils? How many big hits and strong tackles. I don't recall him ever having a better game for us.
Larkey kicked 3 but 2 were from turnovers that weren't Frosts fault. That dropped mark was just unlucky as he created a great contest and that ball could have spilled anywhere. Barely lost an actual 1 on 1 against him all game and chopped off heaps of entries by killing heaps of contests. Bloke has been brilliant this year. A real leader.

Also how good is Dylan Moore. Genuine heart and soul player.

Conor Nash interview post game

Good to get the W.

While it was clear we were the better side, I feel the score board probably flattered us. A 6 goal burst in the 2nd quarter setup the win and then it was just a scrappy arm wrestle for the rest of the afternoon.

Pleased with the teams defensive effort, hopefully it's something we can carry forward into next week. While it can be tiring it's something that creates pressure on the opposition that then create opportunities to score which the team feeds off.

Lot of people on here didn't go to the game and had a better view of things on TV (and replays) than me at the ground, so if I get anything wrong, it's because I was at one end of Marvel, not sat on the sofa.

Nearly everyone improved from last week which was the minimum benchmark tbh.

Nearly all of them get a pass mark - extra commentary on a few below.

Very good games from Chol, Meek, Morrison, Scrimshaw, Gunston, Frenchy.

McDonald showed better intent - he actually led at the ball, and got the reward. Faded, but it's a base to work from.

Weddle backed into the pack on a few occasions - big tick young man.

Amon better on the wing after starting first 8 mins down back - tick for Sam

Hardwick stayed forward - bang average game - black mark for Sam for not moving him - would have been nice to swap Weddle in for the 2nd half. Lets not see that again please.

Ginnivan is clearly being affected by the 'non-calls' - an absolute disgrace. A couple were right in front of me, and you could see the anguish on his face. This has gone way beyond a 'please explain' from the umpires - the integrity of the game is in question with so many blatant free kicks not paid.

Moore was excellent.

Nash - so much right, and then so much wrong, but he got stuck in and I feel he has turned the corner.

Sicily. If he is not injured, then it's something mental or personal affecting him. Just not anywhere near his best for long periods of the game. Try removing the Captaincy?

I think there is something happening in his life. Maybe footy isn't the #1 priority right now. Concerning.

Frost - gotta be leading the B & F by some margin. Fantastic game.

The umpires were dreadful. Putrid. Those at the ground were howling at them for a multitude of calls that were just plain wrong. The goal umpire, well, what was the point of him.

That has to be the bare minimum of the standard set for the rest of the season from Hawthorn if we want to win more games as North Melbourne are Fitzroy bad.

I hope the TV showed the amount of lazy, no-contact, one-way running wasters that are stealing a living at that club.

You won't see a worse team that them in the AFL anytime soon.

They are cooked. Absolutely cooked and if AFL House has anyone with their balls still attached, you start the process of sending them to Tassie and amalgamate.

No fans, gutless, talentless players with no game-plan. Joke of a club, crap coach, and zero chance of holding on to their better players at the end of the year.

They won't win a game.

Lets not get carried away - we beat what we had to, but it wasn't much.

It's a start. Enjoyed the win - let's see how we go against Sydney.

We showed a lot more grunt around the contest which was sorely lacking last week. McDonald was outstanding today, I was calling for him to be dropped last two weeks but he was definitely back to his best today and then some

Chol worked his ass off all four quarters - that is his benchmark going forward

Worpel must be carrying an injury??

McKenzie will be an A grade mid - no doubt in my mind

My man Dylan Moore - absolute star and leading the way whilst Sicily is struggling for form

Clarkson looks shot as a coach and it seems to affecting the playing group. It is sad to see but no more handouts - they literally pushed McKay out the door to get pick 3 and now have no decent talls down down back

Phillips at pick 3 is still one of the worst draft decisions I have seen in a long time. Just not up to it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back