Preview Rd 7 Geelong V Carlton Sat April 27 435 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guthrie will play twos.
He hasn’t played more than 4 quarters of footy in 12+ months.

Rohan will come in,
So will Stanley

As for Hardie, Jeka, Conway, 2E, Knevitt
I have no idea

Wouldn’t be surprised if Hardie never gets a crack at senior footy even after his strong form
If he doesn't get a gig soon, it's starting to feel like late career GHS & Constable where we don't care how much you rack it up at VFL level, we're just not going to play you.

The club would know better than us, and they certainly got those two right, so we'll wait and see.

From a supporter POV, you can't ask for much more than he's doing.

I was of the understanding a few weeks ago that he would come straight in. ‘Training the house down”.

I wonder whether they re think given how well the midfield has gone?

Although Guthrie for Clark probably strengthens us against Carlton if they think he is right
You said it and I didn't believe it

If he doesn't get a gig soon, it's starting to feel like late career GHS & Constable where we don't care how much you rack it up at VFL level, we're just not going to play you.

The club would know better than us, and they certainly got those two right, so we'll wait and see.

I think history vindicated those decisions though

Can't wait for this one guys, feeling confident but understandably so will your boys.

Love playing the cats as I always feel like you guys are the benchmark of the comp. Beat Geelong and you've really earned 4 points. Our injury list is outrageous but I must admit, you lads missing Stewart helps me sleep a little easier.

All in all this is set up to be a beauty. Actually wish I could enjoy this one as a neutral but alas, I will be screaming and throwing things an the TV like an imbecile.

Good luck all. Enjoy 🤙

Absolutely agree, the only thing that gives me any confidence is CS saying he’s doing everything right
He might get a game, he might not

We've proven too that when we're fit and firing on all cylinders, Stewy is a luxury.

Compare the end of 2021 to his suspension in 2022 and the difference is so stark.

We looked like half the side, to barely even noticing he was gone in 1 year.

Hopefully we can repeat that this week, and with the development of Zuth, SDK, JHenry, & Kola...I reckon we can.
Completely agree. That's the big positive about having such a strong system and structure. A little bit of a tweak to the defensive structure and Z Guthrie playing that intercepting and rebounding role in Stewart's absence.

Scott is a mastermind; our system is strong and we're very fit and healthy right now. As great as Stewart is, we can cover him right now.

Big game at the 'G against a good opponent - we will be up for it big time. A lighter week on the track after a heavy slog, a nice 7-day break, and we will be ready.

All and sundry in the media underestimating us again, we're a very well organised, structured and cohesive unit. We will demonstrate this on Saturday IMO.

I know Kane Cornes says some silly things at times - but he calls it as he sees it - and he knows the Cats are quality this year. At least he can change his views and admit he's wrong, unlike Buckley, who has doubled down on the Cats not being all that convincing.

He only played VFL last year because we weren’t going to make finals, so there wasn’t really much to be gained from playing him in the 1s. When’s the last time he played VFL otherwise (serious question)?

Since the old VFL website was axed, it's harder to find more historic info

But he did play VFL back in 2018 when he was returning from an ankle injury - he hurt his ankle in our round 3 clash with WCE on 8 April, and there's an article from 19 June about him re-signing that mentions he's also recently returned from injury via the VFL

His first senior game back was round 15 which was on 29 June

But using the date of the match in which he was injured & the date of the article, it was roughly 10 weeks after his injury that he returned via the VFL. He's currently been out roughly 8 weeks - so maybe only a week or two less than that injury which saw him return via the VFL

In 2021 when Duncan battled calf issues over the pre-season, he returned via a VFL practice match before a senior recall

We've shown we aren't scared to have senior players return via the VFL if they feel there's a need

Can't wait for this one guys, feeling confident but understandably so will your boys.

Love playing the cats as I always feel like you guys are the benchmark of the comp. Beat Geelong and you've really earned 4 points. Our injury list is outrageous but I must admit, you lads missing Stewart helps me sleep a little easier.

All in all this is set up to be a beauty. Actually wish I could enjoy this one as a neutral but alas, I will be screaming and throwing things an the TV like an imbecile.

Good luck all. Enjoy 🤙
Hopefully a good game no injuries 👍

In: Stanley / Tuohy
Out: Conway (managed) / Stewart (concussion)

"home" game against the in form team of the comp. need our fans to show up in full force. should be a ripper!!
In form team of the comp?

Geez people get carried away. The Crows won their only game of the season against them two weeks ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Stanley / Tuohy
Out: Conway (managed) / Stewart (concussion)

"home" game against the in form team of the comp. need our fans to show up in full force. should be a ripper!!

Wouldn't the team sitting at 6-0, including 3 times interstate be the form team of the comp...

Easily the most interesting team selection for mine.

So many things could go down.

2x ruck chance? Doubt it though.
Clark probably out after being sub twice and form not good enough to warrant a starting spot.
Does Hardie come in?
Does COS come in for Stewart? Doubt it but Stewart being out gives it a chance.
Does Guthrie come back in? Apparently ready... Maybe sub option.
Does Rohan come back in? Maybe sub option or rest/manage someone for him.
Do we bust out the Neale/Cameron/Hawkins forward line?
Touhy was managed... Does he come back in?

All the above options and Mannagh, Mullin and Knevitt will probably sit in the VFL

Usually there's one or maybe two ways it could go down and it's pretty predictable.

This week so many things have a genuine chance to happen and it'll be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Completely agree. That's the big positive about having such a strong system and structure. A little bit of a tweak to the defensive structure and Z Guthrie playing that intercepting and rebounding role in Stewart's absence.

Scott is a mastermind; our system is strong and we're very fit and healthy right now. As great as Stewart is, we can cover him right now.

Big game at the 'G against a good opponent - we will be up for it big time. A lighter week on the track after a heavy slog, a nice 7-day break, and we will be ready.

All and sundry in the media underestimating us again, we're a very well organised, structured and cohesive unit. We will demonstrate this on Saturday IMO.

I know Kane Cornes says some silly things at times - but he calls it as he sees it - and he knows the Cats are quality this year. At least he can change his views and admit he's wrong, unlike Buckley, who has doubled down on the Cats not being all that convincing.

Yes, I just watched that. Basically Buckley reading out the scores from nobodies we've beaten so far, and Kane arguing overboard on we're the best everything including decisive wins over Melbs and Bris, also with the best coach.
We don't need approval, and I was almost resigned to a close game, but I can't stand a jealous flog.
Hope they destroy the Blues, soak it in olive oil and shove it up Buckley where the sun don't shine.

Yes, I just watched that. Basically Buckley reading out the scores from nobodies we've beaten so far, and Kane arguing overboard on we're the best everything including decisive wins over Melbs and Bris, also with the best coach.
We don't need approval, and I was almost resigned to a close game, but I can't stand a jealous flog.
Hope they destroy the Blues, soak it in olive oil and shove it up Buckley where the sun don't shine.
It’s another lose lose for us this week

We win, “Carlton had too many injuries”

We lose “can’t beat a top side”

If we are to win this week, our first win loss game is next week vs Melbourne

Interesting that Guthrie is available. The report seems to suggest he's been ready for a few weeks and the last 2 weeks have been about conditioning. I reckon they'll play him if they think he's ready and it might come down to Hardie or Clark for the sub role to give him a chop out of he runs out of gas in the last.

The other interesting selection call will be whether Geelong wheel out the Conway and Stanley combo in this one - going up against TDK and Pittonet? Given the weather looks ok at this stage, do we try and stretch Carlton and take away one of their strengths (The McKay Curnow TDK combo). It might also be a consideration if we are trying to stretch them down back with McGovern out.

Is this the week they go with Neale, Hawkins and Cameron in the same side?

Given it's on the larger MCG and it's dry - it might be on the coaches radar?
We don't need to beat them with height we need to beat them with speed. Backline might need Blitz or Stanley alternating to help chop out but around the ground we just need to run them off their feet.

It’s another lose lose for us this week

We win, “Carlton had too many injuries”

We lose “can’t beat a top side”

If we are to win this week, our first win loss game is next week vs Melbourne

Never mind their close wins over Rich, Freo, moderate win over GWS, thrashing North and closely losing to the Crows.
Wouldn't hang my hat on prior results at this stage, prefer Scott's modus operandi of anyone can win any game.
Still we've done everything right so far and should demand respect, the view from the top is sweet for the believers.

Buckley still burning from the 2007 PF where he had to watch us p#*s on his lifelong Collingwood Premiership dream from the bench, when the game was on the line!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuohy for Stewart seems like a “no-brainer” for mine.
Likewise a rested Stanley for Conway who would definitely be fatigued after the hard slog in Brisbane.
I tend to agree that Clark needs a full game in the magoos. He’s getting great AFL exposure but not setting the world on fire yet.
So Guthrie for Clark.
Wouldn’t mind seeing Mitch Hardie as sub but that means someone needs to be managed.
Duncan maybe?
Don’t think they’ll wanna rest Parfitt in the vein of form he’s in. Would rattle his confidence.
Maybe Bruhn just to freshen him up?

So…
Out: Stewart (concussion)
Duncan (managed)
Conway (VFL/managed)
Clark (VFL/managed)
In: Tuohy
Stanley
C. Guthrie
M. Hardie (sub)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He played VFL last and has done so in previous years...
I just think its arrogant to hold players back if they are fit to play, 6-0 is all well and good but we have a pretty tough run and it will only take a couple poor performances to be right back with the pack.

Everything you say makes sense. And might be want happens. But I do know a couple of weeks back the view was he would come in against Carlton. Personally at 6-0 and with all mids in form I think they could bring him back in VFL. But won’t be shocked If he replaces Clark.

Reckon if he does play afl they start him and then can sub him if needed

Personally I think Guth is a monty. He plays Carlton well, second of our best against them last year after Cameron (6 goals)
As an aside we gave Sav and Bews impossible tasks as it proved, Jack Bowes played his first game and we were sluggish on speed.

The question is would Cuhtrie improve our midfield, and at whose expense?,
TBF the answer must be yes if we are looking at speed, contested ball and experience.
I think he'll have their faith in a game that's made for him and he'll be hot to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back