List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This year is a write off, send the players off early for surgery from around round 18, draft the best mods available, make a play at McLuggage (very unlikely), let Membrey walk as a UFA and then go again in 2025.

We can't trade our established stars, it would just backfire and we don't need any more fringe players.

We need more Owens, Windhager and Wilson types and we will only get them through the draft. Another top 10 pick this year is vital, can't trade it.
If the season's a write off then send the players in for surgery now. In fact I'd be more radical and send everyone in for surgery whether they need it or not.
At least we won't get any more injuries.

Firstly I am not a Troll and secondly I am not advocating getting rid of steele, wilkie, sincs and marshal for late first rounders. What I am saying is that if any team is willing to trade pick 15 or better for any of Sinclair, Steele & Marshall we should take it. The key here is that we do one of these trades per year. ie. Sinclair this year as he is the oldest. Steele at the end of next year and then Marshal the year after. Bear in my mind if we didn't get pick 15 or better I would not do the trade. This would enable us to go to the Draft each year for the next 3 with 2 FRDP's instead of just the normal 1.
All you’re doing is trading ourselves into the territory of where North is at presently, plenty of quality youth but insufficient level of quality experience to provide maturity and direction. It will be a continuous negative cycle.

All you’re doing is trading ourselves into the territory of where North is at presently, plenty of quality youth but insufficient level of quality experience to provide maturity and direction. It will be a continuous negative cycle.
You are wrong Mr. It's only 1 senior player traded out per year and in the meantime the whole list has aged by 3 years. This is how you do it without crashing like North did. And at the same time you are adding young guns to the Core group 2 at a time instead of just 1 every year. Can you see what I am saying Mr?

Yeah, right. Hill was always coming. Bell just bent our amateurs over. We suggested Acres on top of offering a first rounder, second rounder and a bunch of other picks.
Why wouldn't we have been happy to move Acres on anyway? Did almost nothing for us. Did so little for Freo they let him walk.
He's started to play some good footy at 28. But any better than our wingers? I don't reckon.

You are wrong Mr. It's only 1 senior player traded out per year and in the meantime the whole list has aged by 3 years. This is how you do it without crashing like North did. And at the same time you are adding young guns to the Core group 2 at a time instead of just 1 every year. Can you see what I am saying Mr?
Your whole pitch falls apart when you remember absolutely no one is paying top 15 for Steele or Sinclair and even Roma only a contender with no decent ruck would consider him and they won’t have a pick in the top 15.

They’re all players we would rate higher internally than they would be rated externally.

Why wouldn't we have been happy to move Acres on anyway? Did almost nothing for us. Did so little for Freo they let him walk.
He's started to play some good footy at 28. But any better than our wingers? I don't reckon.
Nah Acres showed a bit even being played out of position mostly.

I’d assume we could have haggled harder and potentially kept him, he certainly wasn’t the key piece of the trade and plenty around here didn’t want us to trade him.

Be interested to see how Crouch's knee recovers. There has been some suggestion his knee is chronic putting some doubt over his future.

Either way we still need more midfield talent as Crouch is very much a 100 metres gained per game player.
Both 2 someone's will be needed. Steele and crouch only probably have a year or 2 before the downward trend starts

No. It’s a simplistic & speculative approach to a far more dynamic situation. If I was trading footy cards it would make sense.

How can you trade away quality assets without a guarantee their replacements will be of the same or better quality. You can’t, so it’s high risk. Example, Will Phillips at NM Pick 4 is a bust. There is no guarantees. Or how can you replace or fill their playing position void with the same quality with no succession plan. Once again you can’t, high risk. You can say play Jack Hayes as a #1 ruck, he’s only 1.93m

Last edited:
Not that I would, but with Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher, 10 other high draft picks and god knows how many more…they will come good in a big way.

He was very good at Freo but got cut to make cap room for Jackson. Playing him on a wing made him the player he should have been. Champion data had him rated along side Langdon as the Brest wingman in the competition.

How can you trade away quality assets without a guarantee their replacements will be of the same or better quality.

If you want guarantees then you've picked the wrong pastime.

But on the probabilities, the player you take with the pick is more likely to be part of our next flag side than Sincs will be. Sincs has 3-5 years left and we're very unlikely to win a flag in that time. The player you take might not make it, but if he does then we get 10+ years out of him and he would have a chance at being part of a side that seriously challenges.

You have to take the time dimension into account otherwise your analysis is worthless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know plenty love McCluggage, but he's outside, isn't he? And also the priority for Brisbane to re-sign.

I'd be keeping an eye on Berry - an inside mid playing outside due to Brisbane having too many inside mids, so more of what we need, and would be cheaper salary wise?
Can genuinely do both. Last 12 months he has played a lot more inside and been very good. I would argue his impact on the outside is greater, but we are talking about a very high bar here.

Given his age and skillset, combined with our defincies and the way we want to play, not sure there is a better fit out there for us in the league. For what its worth I think he probably stays. But for me, I would be happy to go very very large on the offer and see what happens. We are drafting well, but need a to take a risk or 2 if we want to jump into the next grouping

Personally I think a starting midfield of McCluggage, Steele and Windy, with Wilson & Wood on a wing, can at least break even with any group out there

I know plenty love McCluggage, but he's outside, isn't he? And also the priority for Brisbane to re-sign.

I'd be keeping an eye on Berry - an inside mid playing outside due to Brisbane having too many inside mids, so more of what we need, and would be cheaper salary wise?
I'd be having a good crack at getting both. It probably means Seb is waved goodbye and Crouch retires after next, but thats ok.

If they are Free Agents then fair enough however I do not feel as though we are ready for FA"s yet. Build a top 4 capable team through the draft first and then think about FA's.

Fair enough, people understand my assertion but it still freaks me out that people don't agree. Just look at our last 10 years and surely it tells us that we are going nowhere fast?

In 10 years we kept our 1st pick & went to the draft 8 times (in 2016 we basically deferred our pick to 2017).

The draft isn’t the be all & end all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have little confidence in the club who reckons progress is dragging an ex-coach who really couldn't get his teams over the line in GFs, out of retirement to try and get some kind of success. It failed with Blight and it will again with Lyon. It is loser mentality, and that's what has plagued our club for decades.
Settle down Ratts

Both are much better players than a lot of ours. The Dogs are trying to play kids to move forward and not play the same old crew that have fallen short. Macrae is a bit lower hurt factor than some f the absolute elite mids but he's still an extremely good player. Daniel was the best distributor back man in footy for a few years and his kicking is absolutely elite.

The two of them would have more All Australians than the whole Saints list put together..
I really rated McRae when he was a ball magnet and his extra height was handy but he’s not the same player and has been forced out of the mids. I look at who he’d displace on a wing and I just don’t see the point that’s an area of strength for us. Across half forward he’s not pushing out poo or owens and he’s in fact never been a goal kicker so I’m still not really interested unless it’s as a pure mid.

Daniels I’ve never been a fan off, his lack of height makes him easy to exploit and being the best short kick in the comp is a backhanded compliment, who wants a guy kicking 20 metres.

The bulldogs are moving on with youth and looking to find form, missed the finals last year and look set to miss again. Not everyone plays into their thirties sometimes guys best football is behind them a lot earlier, maybe their best is well behind them.

Anyway I’m not against bringing in cheap trades Im fact I’m more than happy to look over out of favour, blocked or ready to burst out players. We desperately need a young ruck, the club made a play for Draper and Xerri unfortunately we missed both but we’ll have our sights set on someone.

Firstly I am not a Troll and secondly I am not advocating getting rid of steele, wilkie, sincs and marshal for late first rounders. What I am saying is that if any team is willing to trade pick 15 or better for any of Sinclair, Steele & Marshall we should take it. The key here is that we do one of these trades per year. ie. Sinclair this year as he is the oldest. Steele at the end of next year and then Marshal the year after. Bear in my mind if we didn't get pick 15 or better I would not do the trade. This would enable us to go to the Draft each year for the next 3 with 2 FRDP's instead of just the normal 1.
It would have to be top 10 for Sincs or Marshall but me feeling is this would destroy moral and culture which is worth more than high draft picks.

The real question is how do we get in on GCs picks.
If the draft is deep bundling up a player with our early pick for 3 picks in the 15-25s would be looking at

Best bet is to use our cash to cop a salary dump in return for a draft pick. Similar to what Geelong did for Bowes and pick 7

Who are some high paid spuds? Zac Williams types

Best bet is to use our cash to cop a salary dump in return for a draft pick. Similar to what Geelong did for Bowes and pick 7

Who are some high paid spuds? Zac Williams types

That was kind of insane by Gold Coast, and unlikely to happen every year.
Good if you can get it though.

Acres did more than nothing for Freo, hit some form before arriving at Carlton. Freo have been notorious for low balling breadth of their squad and dining in on players like Jackson which has stretched their cap.

Yeah, right. Hill was always coming. Bell just bent our amateurs over. We suggested Acres on top of offering a first rounder, second rounder and a bunch of other picks.
Hill had 2 years to run on his contract, so Bell held all of the chips and we were desperate to do a deal considering our many failed attempts to attract serious talent cough Josh Kelly cough

It was suggested at the time that Blake was a salary dump for us, which was a shocking thought at the time based on the quality of our list. Perhaps we weren't in cap trouble, but we definitely saw Blake as someone earning too much for his output at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back