Autopsy Cats lose to Port by 6 points after being down by 10 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Only caught the second half of this one so I have rose coloured glasses on.

It wasn't our night and Port threw everything at it. Well done to them. A completely different team (even 2nd half) to what I saw briefly last week v Adelaide.

Positive performances by Zach Guthrie and Kolo down back. Stengle continues to be our only forward in decent form. Glad to see Mullin back in the side too and doing an important job for the team.

Overall though we have too many players not at their best right now. I'm hopeful it can turn around.

Biggest negative from this game was the failure to assess Cameron after the head knock. Some things are bigger than winning a game of football. I thought our club would be better than that.

Also, while it sucks, the no advantage call was fair enough. The ump blew the whistle when he saw where the kick went and once he makes that call it has to come back.

Only caught the second half of this one so I have rose coloured glasses on.

It wasn't our night and Port threw everything at it. Well done to them. A completely different team (even 2nd half) to what I saw briefly last week v Adelaide.

Positive performances by Zach Guthrie and Kolo down back. Stengle continues to be our only forward in decent form. Glad to see Mullin back in the side too and doing an important job for the team.

Overall though we have too many players not at their best right now. I'm hopeful it can turn around.

Biggest negative from this game was the failure to assess Cameron after the head knock. Some things are bigger than winning a game of football. I thought our club would be better than that.

Also, while it sucks, the no advantage call was fair enough. The ump blew the whistle when he saw where the kick went and once he makes that call it has to come back.
No, the rule is clear on advantage. The team shows an intent to take it and the play is continuous then advantage is called. Too many people, including Chanel 7 commentators, do not know the rules!

I'm out of patience with SDK.

Horrible effort, played some of the worst football I've ever seen and only lose by 6 points. Talk about pissing away what should have been a regulation win.

It's why it was important to bank the early wins because performances like this will be inevitable but it is hard for me to accept how poor that first half was and how different we were in the second half. Just don't get it.
One of his better games. He was worse earlier in the year. His inability to kill marking contests is a worry. Ratugolea
would usually get a fist on the ball.

The tongue is a bit in cheek with my previous comment. But the main point is that our intercepting backline doesn't work if our midfield doesn't apply enough pressure to the opposition entries to make them bomb it.

If our midfield is going to continue to suck then we need to find a different backline that works best at ground level

Tinker with the backline yeah, but don't fix what aint broke. Our midfield is busted.

Last edited:
I feel like the new umpiring rules are hurting geelong as well around the refusal to pay holding the ball.

We clearly are a side that has focused on turnovers and slingshotting, so when the umpires decide to refuse to pay htb out of the blue after a few months and your strategy is around turnovers… it is frustrating and hurts you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like the new umpiring rules are hurting geelong as well around the refusal to pay holding the ball.

We clearly are a side that has focused on turnovers and slingshotting, so when the umpires decide to refuse to pay htb out of the blue after a few months and your strategy is around turnovers… it is frustrating and hurts you
The liberal interpretation of throws is probably shortening my over all lifespan

I'd say we've never been successful in recruiting an A grade ruckman, as opposed to never gone after one

We tried to get Goldstein in his prime more than once and tried to get in the race for Grundy when it was clear he was done at Collingwood.
Or just picked Grundy up in the 2012 draft when he came up at pick 17, instead of drafting ruck failures like Orren Stephenson and Hamish McIntosh. haven't had a decent ruck since Ottens.
Stanley is a premiership player which we are grateful for but, if he wasnt winning hitouts he used to be at least handy around the ground - not any more

And what if Rozee, and Soldo played tonight?
Their midfield was already 10/10, I don’t know if replacing x with y regardless of how good would have made any difference for them.

Our midfield was 1/10 that first half… putrid… if dangerfield bruhn made us 4-5/10 competitive…. We probably get closer to break even or at least stop some of the east clearance goals and don’t go 48 pts down.

Without doubt the Jeremy Cameron non goal was an incorrect decision. Chris Scott went into the presser knowing the rules and made it known..
Yeah.

Was it Hodge on channel 7 who clearly didn't know the rule?

The players clearly chose to take the advantage, it's not the umpire's decision. The umpire only needs to decide if play was continuous and if the attacking team knew they had a free when playing on.

That hasn't been the rule for ten years I recon.

Besides, the ball went quickly to a contest at the top of the square. About as good an advantage as you get

Our mids are good with effort but low on skill. They are not going to cause much damage around the ground. E.g. Petracca kicked 5 goals in Melbourne's loss to Carlton. Tonight Port got goals from Horne-Francis, Butters and Wines. Geelong's midfielders contributed zero goals. Our midfielders are busting their guts trying to limit the damage from opposing midfielders, hitting the scoreboard is the last thing on their mind. I think Geelong could play it's VFL midfield next week and they wouldn't perform any worse. We need to find a few players.

We clearly are a side that has focused on turnovers and slingshotting, so when the umpires decide to refuse to pay htb out of the blue after a few months and your strategy is around turnovers… it is frustrating and hurts you.
Yeah there's something in this. Way too many ball ups, which sux when you aren't a good rucking and clearance team.

Even free kicks for the tackled player seem to be down, and we are getting back to ball ups and controlled fumble/spill ot to teammates like the old Paul Roos teams. Ugly

I think the cats were beaten in every position by the better on the night. I am immensely proud that the cats fought back and almost pinched it despite the off night. It was an awesome comeback really, because port did not drop their intensity all night.

We thought Mannagh would come in to offer a bit of dash and evasiveness a bit further up the ground didn't we?

It makes sense to me... He has those attributes.

But for some reason unknown to me, we are playing him as an inside 50, forward pocket in the VFL.

I don't get it.

I'd be happy to see both Managh + Mullin pushing midfield minutes in the VFL and then AFL if shown good enough.

I reckon Mullin deserves a decent run in the seniors already.
Mannagh should be run through the middle in the VFL to see what he's got definetely. I have been surprised with why he's been playing solely as forward pocket in the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back