Opinion First Choice Ruck - Pitto vs TDK

Remove this Banner Ad

K

Kemp (like Arrow has indicated) has attributes that suit forward 3rd tall. Namely Kemp is less great marking body on body. But very good in the clear or with a run and jump. That alone makes you think he could make a decent third tall forward as that role requires you to get up and down the ground leading away from your direct opponent. He has more speed than JSoS surely so another tick. Don't know about repeat running.

Despite all that, we have TDK, Kennedy and E Hollands that can all slot into that more physical 3rd tall forward role. Obv with Hollands its more just about quality of player rather than being considered a third tall.

I think they play one of those 3 in JSoS's role. It's also testament to JSoS who a lot mark down on this forum. He holds out those type of players from the third tall spot because of what he offers the team.
I should clarify my post.
I think TDK should be #1 ruck, so was referring to Kemp in the fwd/2nd ruck role that JSOS has played.

Cannot see Kemp being trailed in the ruck, if not still developing as a defender, he should be played up forward…
He doesn’t possess the same all round attributes as JSOS in playing the role…

Cannot see Kemp being trailed in the ruck, if not still developing as a defender, he should be played up forward…
He doesn’t possess the same all round attributes as JSOS in playing the role…
He certainly presents more laconic than JSOS who is a guy who always commits to a contest, something an undersized ruck needs to do.

I think the JSOS injury has helped Voss double down on his preference of playing TDK & Pitto.

If we are to be in contention, TDK has to build on his second half of 2023 and become our no. 1 ruck, with Pitto providing valuable support.

Big year for TDK as we also need him improving his forward craft and giving H & C a chop out.

In another interesting twist, O’Keefe and Mirkov should see this as a great opportunity and steel themselves for a massive preseason.

Replacing Silvagni the forward is easy. Replacing the forward/ruck role, that's the hard part. TDK and Pitto are first 22, but how many games do we expect them to miss this season? 5-10? Either can play 1st ruck. Only TDK can play forward/ruck. When one is out we need to find that second ruck who can go forward and that will be the challenge for us this season.

I was just writing about the quarterly performance of the company TDK (yes, the one that made tapes in the 80s.... does amazing things to my system...)

I noticed a few things
  • They massively beat expectations in their third quarter (premiership quarter!)
  • They performed much better than last year
  • They increased their expectations for the rest of 2024
Just thought you'd like to know.... Hoping to see similar trends from our TDK :p

Looks like this has morphed into a TDK/Mckay vs TDK / Pitto version with JSoS out.

With Pitto unfit, it is a no brainer to access extra speed (opting for TDk/Mckay) vs Brissy who ran all over us last year in the prelim.

When Pitto presents the best version of himself, then it is a different proposition to consider.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guy sitting next to me at today's game said it well - "If Pitto's role is to play about 10-12 games and give TDK a rest when he needs it then I'll be happy with that." I thought TDK + Crippa and Walsh smashed them today, we were really all over them in the middle almost all day. Witts has killed us in the past but not so today, TDK very good.

I'm happy with either TDK or Pitto, prefer TDK, but form, fitness and game time should decide which way we go.
Just so long as it's 1 ruckman only and allow some mobility and pressure in the forward half.

We played 2 rucks against Grundy last week. He mauled both of them, 1 or 2 rucks wouldn't have changed anything.
I believe there are very few rucks in the whole competition that influence the game enough to make a meaningful difference.(maybe Grundy, Gawn and Marshall)

Last edited:
If he earns it, sure.
The match committee on exposed form has Pitt as no.1.
TDK played out of his skin today, which was great. More please.
ln terms Pitto being number one, probably more because he can only play one position, hence why TDK plays forward when they play together.
TDK is ready to evolve just needs the number one role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back