Opinion First Choice Ruck - Pitto vs TDK

Remove this Banner Ad

A better game from TDK.
Pittonet is the preferred no.1 ruck.
Hopefully we can continue to blend the two into an effective setup.
How many years do people want to keep saying this? Honestly I feel like I'm enabling problem gamblers by continuing the conversation...

The smart move is to pick one of them, refresh the depth and build out. Pick rucks that have a dynamic aspect about them, for those aspects of a football game that go on for 98% of the match.

I don't mind a slow ruck if the mids can channel the ball through them in midfield and they ruck all day. I don't mind an undersized ruck if they can bolt away like an extra mid and make cameos up forward. Get an effective player that considerably helps us defeat the opposition.

TDK is way closer to that than Pittonet, and we're watching that this season. Purists can devote their energy to building a time machine to go back to the good ol' days and stop bothering people.

How many years do people want to keep saying this? Honestly I feel like I'm enabling problem gamblers by continuing the conversation...

The smart move is to pick one of them, refresh the depth and build out. Pick rucks that have a dynamic aspect about them, for those aspects of a football game that go on for 98% of the match.

I don't mind a slow ruck if the mids can channel the ball through them in midfield and they ruck all day. I don't mind an undersized ruck if they can bolt away like an extra mid and make cameos up forward. Get an effective player that considerably helps us defeat the opposition.

TDK is way closer to that than Pittonet, and we're watching that this season. Purists can devote their energy to building a time machine to go back to the good ol' days and stop bothering people.

Footy purists are still around today in the modern version of the game, where a ruck and ruck forward is present in almost every, single, side

It's not track and field

You do realise that you do not have to engage, right?
I feel you are so aggressive in your agendas that you almost always miss the point actually being made, like in this instance.

Not so at all Pitt can play only one role, TDK can play both but is much more effective when given the responsibility of number one ruck.
They play Pittonet because he's the better ruckman.
TDK has the much higher scope around the ground but isn't fantastic at the stoppage but can obviously improve.
I'm curious how we'd go with Pitt & H too because we haven't really seen it.

You do realise that you do not have to engage, right?
I feel you are so aggressive in your agendas that you almost always miss the point actually being made, like in this instance.
It's not personal, I've seen the same comment what must be 1000 times at this point.

What do you feel I've missed from your comment? That you feel the ruck position is defined entirely by the ability to grapple another ruck and tap the ball?

We need the run and Mckay is good in the ruck and around the ground. He even concentrates more than Pitto/TDK defensively.

Mostly play just one of them and rest them giving them hoth games. Slightly more games to TDK though.

Everyone can see the bounce Jack Carroll has when he comes on late. We need more run in our side rather than Pitto on the bench.

TDK has the much higher scope around the ground but isn't fantastic at the stoppage but can obviously improve.
There is more to being a effective ruck than just going up for a ruck contest, Pitto is very one dimensional, TDK has much higher scope for growth, that will only happen playing number one.

Some of TDK’s tap work today was sublime.
He was jumping all over Witt’s.
We smashed them at clearances.
TDK will pass Pitto like ships in the night.
I reckon he has already.

It's Pittonet for me, I just don't see TDK as a ruckman, yes he played a good game yesterday, but I don't think he shows enough on a consistent basis as a ruckman. The problem is he isn't really a great forward either.

It's Pittonet for me, I just don't see TDK as a ruckman, yes he played a good game yesterday, but I don't think he shows enough on a consistent basis as a ruckman. The problem is he isn't really a great forward either.
There are concerns.

But where you could accuse TDK of rating a 5/10 as a fwd, you'd rate Pitto a 1/10 fwd. That's the issue with Pitto. Pitto also has no speed defensively. Only good at stoppages.

ln terms of your comments TDK not playing well on a consistent basis, he has clearly played his best football when Pitto is not playing and given a free reign in the role.

We then revert back to the two ruck set up and people like yourself say his form is not at the required level, he is absolute wasted talent playing up forward.

Pitto is competitive at ruck contests, but that is his sole element he brings to the table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see this as a massive issue. TDK is the future, TDK is the one many other clubs would go after and we have had to invest serious coin to keep on the list. If we were paying Pittonet a fortune then I would understand the need for this conversation. Invest everything into TDK. Have Pittonet there ready to fill in if TDK is injured OR bring in Pittonet when we come across good ruck combinations like Darcy/Jackson at Freo. Pittonet probably ends up playing less than half the games and thats ok because he is really only a back up player.

I like how Pitto plays but I’m firmly in camp ‘TDK only’ and have been for a few weeks.
Someone else said “with pitto, we gain a little, but lose a lot”
TDK held his own today, only watched at game so gotta watch a replay but stats wise 👍🏻
The body of evidence is mounting that we play better (and win) only playing one ruck.

But also important to give TDK a week off here and there - or play 2 rucks some weeks depending on the opposition.

I was previously of the opinion that Pitto was still #1 ruck when fit, but I think TDK has closed the gap enough that he's probably legitimately the 1st choice now.
I definitely like the team balance better with Tom as 1st and Harry giving him a chop out.
I'd like to see Pitto earn his spot back through the VFL this time, rather than just slotting back in at the expense of someone who plays a different role and would be considered stiff to be dropped.

Would like to see more of the one ruck plus Mckay option. I personally don't mind if Pitto is chosen for some games though prefer TDK because he can go fwd unlike Pitto. Also has more speed.

I think if Pitto had of played vs GC we would also have won. Having said that, it is how we win/lose is the thing to focus on.

Haven't checked but hope turnover goals improved. Turnover goals means our players are less exhausted/banged up.

We need the run and Mckay is good in the ruck and around the ground. He even concentrates more than Pitto/TDK defensively.

Mostly play just one of them and rest them giving them hoth games. Slightly more games to TDK though.

Everyone can see the bounce Jack Carroll has when he comes on late. We need more run in our side rather than Pitto on the bench.

The body of evidence is mounting that we play better (and win) only playing one ruck.

But also important to give TDK a week off here and there - or play 2 rucks some weeks depending on the opposition.

I think we need to go with 1 Ruck and the extra runner against fast teams (Coll, Syd Geel)
Edit: TDK most games, Pitto in for a few to give Tim a rest. (Noting, Pitto has been really good, much more involved around ground this year. Some outdated assumptions out there, re. him )

and,

can ‘risk’ dropping the runner for 2 rucks against the Bull Ruck setups : Melb/Gawn, Freo

IMO the win loss evidence seems to support this

I mean I thought it was solved late last year that we were better with 1 ruck and that TDK offers more away from the ruck contests, but for some reason we reverted back to 2 rucks earlier in the year. I gave Pitto votes in 2 outings because he deserved them but the fact is we are so much better with 1 ruck and the preference is clearly TDK.

By no means disappointed to ever have Pitto rucking if TDK is injured or needs a spell but its so clear we need to play 1 ruck for the benefit of the team and that TDK is more complete player. I'll stand by that in the 2 or 3 games TDK gets monstered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back