Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
Which one of these sexual snakes did you rate better? For me, it's way too close to call - I can't separate them. This is why I am leaving the decision up to the soccer folk at BigFooty.

Steve Guppy possessed one of the most lethal crosses in English football (both to the opposition and his own team), and his runs down the left side were breathtaking to watch, whether induced by sheer joy or the fact you were choking on something. He had a unique ability to be able to not play a number of positions on the field, pretty much 11 of them. Froggatt on the other hand, was seen as the answer to England's left sided troubles, by making sure he stayed away from the left wing. Illness nearly took his life, but he came back with a vengence and his name remains in English folklore as one of the most amphibious.

Also, did anyone catch Guppy's cross to Ade Akinbiyi in 2001? Because I didn't, I'm not even sure it existed, and if it did then Ade would have surely muffed it, but golly gosh it was a fair effort.

Petrie Dish said:
Which one of these sexual snakes did you rate better? For me, it's way too close to call - I can't separate them. This is why I am leaving the decision up to the soccer folk at BigFooty.

Steve Guppy possessed one of the most lethal crosses in English football (both to the opposition and his own team), and his runs down the left side were breathtaking to watch, whether induced by sheer joy or the fact you were choking on something. He had a unique ability to be able to not play a number of positions on the field, pretty much 10 of them. Froggatt on the other hand, was seen as the answer to England's left sided troubles, by making sure he stayed away from the left wing. Illness nearly took his life, but he came back with a vengence and his name remains in Ebglish folklore as one of the funniest.

Also, did anyone catch Guppy's cross to Ade Akinbiyi in 2001? Because I didn't, I'm not even sure it existed, and if it did then Ade would have surely muffed it, but golly gosh it was a fair effort.

Excellent thread topic PD.

Personally, the Frogger was a better player. Guppy was a lot of huff and puff and little substance. The Frog man did possess a handy cross but was one of the biggest crocks going around.

Mind you, their clubs didn't help in getting selected for England. Frog man played for Coventry and Wolves (amongst others), and Guppy was a Leciester man. Hardly the kind of squads you'd go to for finding a left winger for the national team.

You raise some very valid points there, ScouseRat.

Froggatt IMO was only prevented from being one of the finest left wingers of his generation by a poor run with health and injuries, and when he was at his best he literally had my jumping out of the pond one day with excitement.

Guppy reminds me a lot of someone like Dean Sturridge or Wim Jonk - as you say, a reputation for being able to produce talented pieces of play, but they were few and far between. Very Nick Barmby or Tony Yeboah-esque.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back