32. Travis Cloke
33. Jackson Paine
34. Alan Toovey
35. Jamie Elliott
36. Dane Swan
38. Peter Yagmoor
39. Heath Shaw
40. Paul Seedsman

Still missing the supposedly "recovered" players.

Could this be our best 22 going into Round 1? Minus Seedsman, Ceglar, Sinclair and Elliot...

Well done Number 10 - looks close to full strength for what we got available, barring those potential best 22 guys carrying injury ( not counting Krak and Caff )

Alan Didak
Dane Beams
Chris Tarrant
Nathan Brown
Cameron Wood
Benny Johnson
Sharrod Wellingham

BTW, the Saints squad is below

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsar...1/default.aspx

Arryn Siposs (2)
Jack Steven (3)
Clint Jones (4)
Ben McEvoy (5)
Lenny Hayes (7)
Leigh Montagna (11)
Nick Riewoldt (12)
Adam Schneider (13)
Jarryn Geary (14)
Tom Ledger (15)
Brendon Goddard (18)
Sam Gilbert (19)
David Armitage (20)
Ahmed Saad (21)
Justin Koschitzke (23)
Sean Dempster (24)
Sam Fisher (25)
Nick Dal Santo (26)
Jason Blake (27)
Rhys Stanley (28)
Brett Peake (30)
Tom Simpkin (31)
Terry Milera (32)
Jamie Cripps (35)
Stephen Milne (44)

In: Saad (21)
Out: Gram (1), Winmar (17), Ray (22), Wilkes (37), Shenton (39)

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsar...1/default.aspx

So both teams having a full Rd 1 dress rehearsal hit out, by the look.

1. Alex Fasolo
5. Nick Maxwell
6. Tyson Goldsack
8. Harry O'Brien
9. Marty Clarke
10. Scott Pendlebury
11. Jarryd Blair
12. Luke Ball
13. Dale Thomas
14. Luke Rounds
18. Darren Jolly
Ben Reid
22. Steele Sidebottom
23. Lachlan Keeffe
25. Tom Young
28. Ben Sinclair
29. Jonathan Ceglar
31. Chris Dawes
32. Travis Cloke
33. Jackson Paine
34. Alan Toovey
35. Jamie Elliott
36. Dane Swan
38. Peter Yagmoor
39. Heath Shaw
40. Paul Seedsman

Still missing the supposedly "recovered" players.

Could this be our best 22 going into Round 1? Minus Seedsman, Ceglar, Sinclair and Elliot...
I think you may be close to right there,these boys who are still injured and have not been seen in any of the practice matches will not be making any miraculous recoveries now.

We may be under the pump early in the season but I would prefer to see some of the young players now so we can see how they go,I think some of these younger players will be much better off when they are surrounded by experienced players which they have not had the luxury of yet.

I think it is still better to keep all underdone players out until they are ready you never know we may unearthed a gem from the kids,we are better off coming home strong in the 2nd half of the year.

Out: Buckley (of the Simon variety). Music to my ears.

Pretty much the players in contention for round one by the looks of the squad.

Tarrant, Didak, Brown, Beams, Wood, Wellingham, Johnson still to come though.

This is the read I'm getting on things.

Sinclair, Rounds and Elliot are fighting it out for Krak and Didak's spots. Heater will move up the field to fill Johnson's role meaning either Goldsack or Yagmoor switch back to replace him. Keefe to fill the second KPB role. Ceglar to play second ruck and Sidebottom moving further upfield to cover Beams.

Most of those guys listed as available to play round one will be right to go (Taz, Wood, Beams, Johnson and Didak) but IMO should play seconds. Because the only match practice they'll have had is at most a half in the VFL during the week off. Then they come in for round 2 depending on how they went in the VFL on the w/e of round 1.

Alan Didak
Dane Beams
Chris Tarrant
Nathan Brown
Cameron Wood
Benny Johnson
Sharrod Wellingham

Shattered that these players can't even be considered for round 1 now.

The strange one is Wellingham, who played a half against Melbourne yet hasn't been seen since.

Tarrant could come straight in for round 1, but the rest would need at least one proper hitout before being considered IMO.

If any of the players not picked against the Saints and are ready for rd 1 must play in the VFL to be any chance of playing rd 1 nearly all the players
named as being in contention have not been sighted so far this season.

The strange one is Wellingham, who played a half against Melbourne yet hasn't been seen since.

Tarrant could come straight in for round 1, but the rest would need at least one proper hitout before being considered IMO.

I could have sworn Wellingham's been out on the track lately and each of the other players suffering from injury has been reported on so there is the slight possibility that Bucks is sending Wellingham a message.

Also the VFL squad for the Geelong match hasn't been announced yet AFAIK? Perhaps we'll get a complete idea once that's out.

Shattered that these players can't even be considered for round 1 now.

Will I guess Keefe will be Playing RD 1 and 2nd Ruck is between Dawes and Ceglar. Ceglar to be a Sub?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very disappointing and not the least bc once again whatever Geoff Walsh etc say down at Collingwood regarding an injury you can double it.

I would think like most of you this is our Rd 1 side, you cant bring in 6 players who havent played a NAB Cup pre-season game and to that end it shapes up as a very difficult first month or so for us.

I would think the best side we could put down for Rd 1 would be;

B Toovey, Keefe, Maxwell
HB Shaw, REid, OBrien
C Thomas, Swan, Clarke
HF Fasolo, Cloke, Sidebottom
F Paine, Dawes, Elliott
FOLL Jolly, Pendlebury, Ball
INT Sinclair, Goldsack, Blair, Young
EMERG Rounds, Yagmoor, Seedsman

For me i would go with Paine over Dawes as looks to me if club is keen to have Dawes have a run in the ruck.

I only go Clarke over Yagmoor bc it would be tough to bring him into a match where so many new faces will be playing.

Jury is still out for me on Sinclair. Kicking is a worry and he falls to his feet to much.

Seedsman looks a talent to me.

Swoop and Matty, you are absolutely correct. The lack of game time into those key players, and certain starters, plus the unavailability of the long term injured is our ONLY concern. Form, results etc are insignificant.

A slow start does produce the consequence of allowing less flexiblity in resting/team selection in the back end of the season. I think it's now accepted that all teams will rest key players to have them at near to optimum heath at the business end of the season. The point is, a progressive build up is no guarantee that all will be well, personal wise in August /Sept, not to mention the further injuries.

Let's see if a few of those blokes play the ressies game on Saturday.

But otherwise yeah, it's hard to see too many of them playing round one without a game or two under the belt.

If we have a similar team for round 1 we are in big trouble. Won't beat Hawthorn with that team.

My thoughts too. Buddy Franklin might have the chance to cut loose on us this time, because even if Tarrant plays, he will be underdone. One thing we have going for us is Bailey's absence, apparently for 3 months with a wrist injury. If Franklin, Hale, Gunston and Roughead are all available, we will not have the talls in the back line to match them. I don't like the way this year is starting.

My thoughts too. Buddy Franklin might have the chance to cut loose on us this time, because even if Tarrant plays, he will be underdone. One thing we have going for us is Bailey's absence, apparently for 3 months with a wrist injury. If Franklin, Hale, Gunston and Roughead are all available, we will not have the talls in the back line to match them. I don't like the way this year is starting.

Yeah don't remind me lol it's giving me nightmares thinking about it. At least we'll still have the midfield to break even or maybe beat them there. But once it gets into our forward and backline that's where the trouble begins.

Harsh but going by how his played in the NAB Cup it's fair.

Can't believe how much his gone down hill. Looked really good a couple of years ago even last year at times.

You could make a strong case for him playing on Hale in the forward line. Both as inagile as eachother.

Based on this team, probable best 22 players Beams, Brown, Taz, Johnno, Didak, Wood and Wellingham can't all play even if the get a VFL game this week and next week.

At a guess, I'd say only Taz will be risked as a 'rush straight in'. He has great natural fitness and won't have to be too concerned with his 'touch' as that's hardly a key to his game.

Given Ceglar has pulled out, I'd think Dawes is a near cert to start as back-up ruck.

These guys have a big chance to get a gig ni round 1:

Yags
Elliott
Marty Clarke
Paine
Rounds

Even if Taz is not right. I'd think we'll go with just Reid and Maxy on the resting tall. That will be slightly offset by Baileys injury and Hale probably have to be 1st ruck. Reid gets Franklin.

We have to remember, don't just rush guys back for round 1. We have 22 rounds to make the top 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back