Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Remove this Banner Ad

As the small pressure forward, he's the first one selected
He must impact the scoreboard to the tune of a goal per game if he’s to be a permanent forward.

.4 on average is not good enough.

He must impact the scoreboard to the tune of a goal per game if he’s to be a permanent forward.

.4 on average is not good enough.

Does have to have more impact hitting the scoreboard but he was also 3rd on the list last year for goal assists.

Medium forwards provide just as much pressure and more goal kicking impact

But I think Paul Curtis will eventually play small forward

The stats tend to suggest differently in regards to pressure.

Medium forwards provide just as much pressure and more goal kicking impact

But I think Paul Curtis will eventually play small forward

Opposition will put better defender on Curtis. Because he’s dangerous.

Until Crafty is dangerous, he’s borderline, irrespective of the amount of effort he puts in.

Have been optimistic but not super enthusiastic about Mahony to date. There's statistical indicators that he has high end speed etc but haven't often seen that demonstrated on-field.

His 1st half in the intra-club was extremely encouraging though. Took a strong mark, found the ball a bit, exquisite passing on a couple of occasions and deployed his acceleration to great defensive effect.

Still don't think he has the lateral agility and split second timing to ever be a small forward in the Lindsay Thomas sense (Paul Curtis on the other hand..) but he's potentially a very useful player. An Anthony Rock (less potent near goal though) to throw in an alternative comparison to Leigh Adams.

Have been optimistic but not super enthusiastic about Mahony to date. There's statistical indicators that he has high end speed etc but haven't often seen that demonstrated on-field.

His 1st half in the intra-club was extremely encouraging though. Took a strong mark, found the ball a bit, exquisite passing on a couple of occasions and deployed his acceleration to great defensive effect.

Still don't think he has the lateral agility and split second timing to ever be a small forward in the Lindsay Thomas sense (Paul Curtis on the other hand..) but he's potentially a very useful player. An Anthony Rock (less potent near goal though) to throw in an alternative comparison to Leigh Adams.
Indeed, I'm not going overboard either, but on the other hand, I never put a line through his name as a 19 year old with a spoonful of games, on the grounds he's too small

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon he could be more of a Peter Bell than Anthony Rock. Rocky was a maniac at the contest and a human cannonball at times, but Bell was much smarter at reading the play, positioning himself and finding good options. I see some of those traits in Jack.

Sadly stats don’t show all the little things he does during play that really matter, it’s the difference between do I flick this on to my teammate with an opponent closing me down in a second or do I panic and hope for a stoppage.

He has the brains and the skills to execute and that’s why he is one of my favourites, he just plays the game really simple. Excited what he can bring this season.

Peter Bell was a gun, we’d all love Crafty to get to his level.

He’s in that middle section between Dhurkay and Trent Nicholls obviously ahead of Warren Campbell.

He is awesome ballast as we kinda need an unselfish team player doing chores that Sleevo, TT and LDU won’t always do.

Sadly stats don’t show all the little things he does during play that really matter, it’s the difference between do I flick this on to my teammate with an opponent closing me down in a second or do I panic and hope for a stoppage.

He has the brains and the skills to execute and that’s why he is one of my favourites, he just plays the game really simple. Excited what he can bring this season.
Yep, the opposition very rarely run away with it even when he 'loses' a contest. Always seems to stay in it until the cavalry arrives.

Reckon he has a significant role in our future with his consistent pressure and tackling ability. See a lot of Charlie Spargo in Mahony and he just played every game in 2021 in a stacked dees side that won the flag - and based on this preseason I think Jack might even have a better forward nouse than spargs does. Obviously a couple of intra clubs and 1 scratch match is a small sample size that does not translate to regular season performance but I'm optimistic on his output and impact on games this season.

Peter Bell was a gun, we’d all love Crafty to get to his level.

He’s in that middle section between Dhurkay and Trent Nicholls obviously ahead of Warren Campbell.

He is awesome ballast as we kinda need an unselfish team player doing chores that Sleevo, TT and LDU won’t always do.

Bell was a very natural footballer, excellent overhead mark for his size and very sharp around goals early in his career.

Never say never but not sure Mahoney has Bell's level of talent.

What he DOES appear to have in common with Peter Bell though is an extremely professional switched on approach so always plays to near his maximum level every game. No concentration lapses. That can go a bloody long way towards setting up a solid career.

Bell was a very natural footballer, excellent overhead mark for his size and very sharp around goals early in his career.

Never say never but not sure Mahoney has Bell's level of talent.

What he DOES appear to have in common with Peter Bell though is an extremely professional switched on approach so always plays to near his maximum level every game. No concentration lapses. That can go a bloody long way towards setting up a solid career.

Bell was actually cut after 2 games, so achieved whipping boy status early and went on to miss a sitter in the 99 GF which would have been 5 goals to go along with 31 touches.

Interesting comparison though as Bell was hardly the prototype footballer, even in his day. Footy smarts count for something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back