Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Remove this Banner Ad

Maj is the shit in defence and a great backup ruck to.

BTW who played on Caddy, serious question?

When he played as a nominal Forward, he had a revolving lazy susan of North opponents that included Sammy, JMac, Clarke, Marley, Maj and Scotty T. None of those named spent any great length of time on him - he was fairly evenly shared around and his influence was mostly curbed during the time he spent playing as a Forward.

The problem was when he went into the Midfield. Which he did frequently throughout the game, both as back-up Ruck and playing as a 'small' Mid. Was present at quite a few centre stoppages, being manned at different times by an assortment of Mids - saw Higgins, Jed, Cunnners, and later in the game, Benny J all standing him at different points. But as far as 'manning him up' goes, stoppages was as about as far as it went.

And that was when he got off the chain a bit. Several times during the game he was allowed to roam the ground unchecked, and there were a number of Richmond I50's where he was just left to run around close to goal without anyone picking him up. For the benefit of the pitchfork and flaming torch crew, it's worth noting that three of his four goals (and a number of his score involvements) came from when he was playing as a Mid. So you'd assume that loose-checking North Mids (perhaps on occasion not prepared to run hard enough the other way) were somewhat of an exacerbating factor there. I'm comfortable with the whole 'head-to-head' thing where appropriate, but when the ball is deep inside their 50, you have to drop back and man the **** up.

When playing in the Ruck he also got a hold of Goldie around the ground a bit. There was one point where he went into the Ruck and for the next couple of minutes quickly racked up 4 or 5 influential touches forward of centre, while for the same time Goldie didn't get near it.

It's all a bit baffling to me because, despite the decent numbers he's posted of late, I've always thought he was just a shit haircut with a very ordinary footballer under it. M'eh.

Yeah club happy with his efforts his was spent for as bit there, " he's the only bloke in the AFL who plays full back and then enters the ruck".
Has a fair bit to do with why the AFL Player Ratings have him so high among KPDs this year. The stints in the ruck and around the ground give him more involvement in play than a stay at home KPD and he's generally not stuffing up.

Has a fair bit to do with why the AFL Player Ratings have him so high among KPDs this year. The stints in the ruck and around the ground give him more involvement in play than a stay at home KPD and he's generally not stuffing up.

Utility IS his best position.

It allows for maximum offensive match up, and flexibility in the event the opposition attempts to tactically exploit him.

When he played as a nominal Forward, he had a revolving lazy susan of North opponents that included Sammy, JMac, Clarke, Marley, Maj and Scotty T. None of those named spent any great length of time on him - he was fairly evenly shared around and his influence was mostly curbed during the time he spent playing as a Forward.

The problem was when he went into the Midfield. Which he did frequently throughout the game, both as back-up Ruck and playing as a 'small' Mid. Was present at quite a few centre stoppages, being manned at different times by an assortment of Mids - saw Higgins, Jed, Cunnners, and later in the game, Benny J all standing him at different points. But as far as 'manning him up' goes, stoppages was as about as far as it went.

And that was when he got off the chain a bit. Several times during the game he was allowed to roam the ground unchecked, and there were a number of Richmond I50's where he was just left to run around close to goal without anyone picking him up. For the benefit of the pitchfork and flaming torch crew, it's worth noting that three of his four goals (and a number of his score involvements) came from when he was playing as a Mid. So you'd assume that loose-checking North Mids (perhaps on occasion not prepared to run hard enough the other way) were somewhat of an exacerbating factor there. I'm comfortable with the whole 'head-to-head' thing where appropriate, but when the ball is deep inside their 50, you have to drop back and man the **** up.

When playing in the Ruck he also got a hold of Goldie around the ground a bit. There was one point where he went into the Ruck and for the next couple of minutes quickly racked up 4 or 5 influential touches forward of centre, while for the same time Goldie didn't get near it.

It's all a bit baffling to me because, despite the decent numbers he's posted of late, I've always thought he was just a shit haircut with a very ordinary footballer under it. M'eh.
Very nice breakdown and seems about right, sometimes is saw Hartung competing with him in the air, which is not ideal.

To be honest i always thought Caddy was pretty decent, Richmond got him as a gift and he blends in well with their strong midfield.

Either that or we give him the kerridge....

Higgo shld have spoilt one mark on the flank but kudos to caddy ......and he converts Good player

V pleased with Maj Thought his ruck work was xclnt If the other backs can keep training him up he has certain skills which are just different and let us mix our squad up a bit

Reward the players for top notch effort

Need to play Our way now
We have a lot of talent

With the defence experiment I was expecting him to be the weak link and exploited the same way Loogie was. Pleasantly surprised in that regard (and pretty much every regard when it comes to Maj's effectiveness down back), and *really* happy at him taking stints in the ruck. ATM he's probably the best ruck on our list and I think having a ruck role is good for him because it lets him get his hands on the leather a bit more.

If Preuss wasn't struggling I would be all for rotating between him, Daw, and occasionally Waite (when needed) and half the time chaining Preuss to the left side of the goal square and Brown to the right, clearing everybody else the **** out of the F50, and getting the two of them to lead in opposite directions.

Back to Maj though, I'm still in somewhat of a shock that he looks that comfortable so soon into the season. Surely it means he can only improve? Either way, top marks to him for finally getting some reward for effort and some bloody decent form.

Right, just so all are up to speed. The Majak thread isn’t about well thought out responses.

It is about poster x calling Maj as it really is, or .......................

giphy.gif

who is poster x ?

Ha- no wasn't directed at a particular individual Poster x is generic.

LOL- that is funny I did get a solid larf :thumbsu:

If I ever find myself in the dock I may just venture down that path, insanity does see a sentence reduction quite often.

And as much as you feel I may have been alluding to you, the first Maj thread had plenty of nasty posts and you it would seem had internet connectivity issues for years. As you never posted in the thread- bloody Telco's!

I do enjoy your work snake, we don't always need to agree.

Enjoy the evening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After his move into defence Majak Daw now has a clear understanding of his role in a North Melbourne side which has exceeded expectation this season, but according to the 195cm utility, the club isn’t receiving the credit it deserves.

Daw has been in the competition since 2011 and, prior to this season, has played in almost every position on the ground - bar the back-six - without much success or luck with injury.

But in a bold move at the beginning of the year, North Melbourne coach Brad Scott showed faith in the 27-year-old and pushed him into defence where he has since thrived.

“I think I’ve caught some people by surprise of how well I’ve adapted to the position,” Daw said on Friday morning.

“I’m still learning, I’ve still got a lot of work to do in terms of playing on different match ups and learning when to come off [my opponent] and cover my teammates, that’s the part of my game that needs to evolve.

“I was excited to have the opportunity to make a position my own, have one focus and really look to gel with the other defenders: Scott Thompson, Robbie Tarrant and Jamie Macmillan.

“(Those guys) have been enormous in my development.”

Daw has played 37 of a possible 162 games due to horror runs with injury and inconsistent form, but he never lost self-belief and now calls himself a defender.

“I’m doing all the defensive stuff, training with the defenders, playing like a defender, and I suppose I don’t do much goalkicking anymore … so yes (I would call myself a defender now), Daw said.

“I’ve always had the attributes to play AFL footy, it’s just I’ve been inconsistent.

“Now I know what I need to do, I have a clear understanding of what I want and need to work on during the week. It’s been a linear progression, I’m learning each week, playing different teams, but I’m just really enjoying my footy.”

North Melbourne has played a much-improved brand of football this season and is 10th on the ladder with four wins and four losses, but Daw believes his side isn’t receiving the recognition it deserves, particularly considering Nathan Hrovat was scoffed at in February for suggesting the club aimed to play finals footy.

“There’s a lot of outside noise about us at times and people haven’t given us the credit that we deserve, but that’s footy, that’s life,” Daw said.

“I think the belief we’ve got amongst each other, we’re really enjoying our footy. Last week was disappointing, but to match it with Richmond for such a long time… they’re the benchmark and we weren’t too far off.

“Sometimes people give you the credit, sometimes they don’t.

“What we worry about here at the footy club is what we can do and what we can control.

“The rest is irrelevant.”

Daw and his teammates will depart for Hobart on Friday afternoon in preparation for their clash against GWS on Saturday.

An injury-plagued Giants have lost their last two games by an average losing margin of 43 points, while they are still missing stars such as Josh Kelly (groin), Toby Greene (foot), Brett Deledio (hamstring) and Phil Davis (concussion).

Does anyone think we are playing him to lift his trade value

Absolutely makes sense, we’ve a couple of youngsters in Tarrant and Thommo showing signs. Would be great if we could turn a rookie selection into say pick 69. Would be a win, of course leaving a side the years of development we’ve put into him.

This thread is good for my resolve .

Absolutely makes sense, we’ve a couple of youngsters in Tarrant and Thommo showing signs. Would be great if we could turn a rookie selection into say pick 69. Would be a win, of course leaving a side the years of development we’ve put into him.

This thread is good for my resolve .

He hadn’t proven that he can defend one on one with any of the guns of the Comp.

You only need to get body contact on him and you’ve got him done.
I’d take a pick in the top 30 for him

He hadn’t proven that he can defend one on one with any of the guns of the Comp.

I highly doubt that will ever happen, and I do commend you for having a football knowledge that extends beyond the highlight clips on the club website.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back