Past #1: Majak Daw [Part II] - 54 NM games/43 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for MFC '21 - retired mid-'22

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't give the afl any ideas. I'm hoping for the lowest profile return to footy possible.

I'm hoping for anything resembling what he was finally delivering.

He's a power athlete, and the pelvic region is about as "core" as you can get.

If he can build up to that same level of burst energy and output, then he'll be back.

North Melbourne star Majak Daw is closing in on a return to senior football

SAM EDMUND, Herald Sun
23 minutes ago
Subscriber only
Majak Daw is closing in on a return to the field this season.
Daw is nearing full pace in running drills at Arden Street, little more than four months after suffering horrific injuries in an incident on the Bolte Bridge.
A timeline has not been set for what would be one of the game’s most miraculous comebacks, but a playing return is now a realistic possibility at some stage after North Melbourne’s bye in Round 14.

Daw sustained hip and pelvic fractures when he was rescued from the Yarra River on December 17, but has constantly impressed Kangaroos officials on the journey to recovery.
REVIEW LOOMING: HEAT ON SLOW STARTING ROOS
SUPERCOACH: THE BIG TRADES YOU MUST MAKE
BAROMETER: CHECK OUT EVERY CLUB’S INJURY LIST

“He’s exceeded all our expectations and we’re extremely happy with what he’s been able to achieve in this time,” North Melbourne head physio Matt Turnbull said in April.
“We tend to see trends in different players around how they retain their muscle bulk, their flexibility and that sort of thing, but we were surprised at the speed of how he was able to retain those components.

“But he’s got a lot more steps in his rehab process. We’ve been quite meticulous … every time we give ‘Maj’ a new stimulus, it’s followed up with a close examination of his pain, his range, his strength parameters and that’s going to continue given the injuries we’ve seen.”
Daw’s teammate Jamie Macmillan told the Herald Sun recently that a Daw return would transcend football.
“I would be lying if I said I hadn’t thought about it and Maj talks about it a lot,” Macmillan said.
“It’s his end goal and if it were to happen, not only us as teammates would be in his corner.
“You would have the opposition coach and fans and whole AFL community rallying behind him. He has had his troubles but now everyone wishes him the best.”
6e563c4c05498ce0b907d18641a4a5ec
Majak Daw in full flight. Picture: Michael Klein
c100cef00c7c52a61b73de683441b1a2
Majak Daw is North Melbourne training. Picture: AAP Images
Daw returned to the club on February 11 to take part in the official team photo before his return to running on an anti-gravity treadmill was celebrated by teammates and players across the competition in mid-March.

similars

“I’m very excited by this. I’ve been waiting for this for so long. Maybe I couldn’t sleep last night because of this,” Daw told the Kangaroos website.
Daw, who used an open letter in January, to state he was “blessed with a second chance at life”, is expecting his first child with partner Emily McKay.
“I hope to be back out there playing in the blue and white stripes soon,” he said.
The 28-year-old was a backline revelation in 2018 in a breakout 18-game season in a key defensive post.

SAM EDMUND, Herald Sun
23 minutes ago
Subscriber only
Majak Daw is closing in on a return to the field this season.
Daw is nearing full pace in running drills at Arden Street, little more than four months after suffering horrific injuries in an incident on the Bolte Bridge.
A timeline has not been set for what would be one of the game’s most miraculous comebacks, but a playing return is now a realistic possibility at some stage after North Melbourne’s bye in Round 14.

Daw sustained hip and pelvic fractures when he was rescued from the Yarra River on December 17, but has constantly impressed Kangaroos officials on the journey to recovery.
REVIEW LOOMING: HEAT ON SLOW STARTING ROOS
SUPERCOACH: THE BIG TRADES YOU MUST MAKE
BAROMETER: CHECK OUT EVERY CLUB’S INJURY LIST

“He’s exceeded all our expectations and we’re extremely happy with what he’s been able to achieve in this time,” North Melbourne head physio Matt Turnbull said in April.
“We tend to see trends in different players around how they retain their muscle bulk, their flexibility and that sort of thing, but we were surprised at the speed of how he was able to retain those components.

“But he’s got a lot more steps in his rehab process. We’ve been quite meticulous … every time we give ‘Maj’ a new stimulus, it’s followed up with a close examination of his pain, his range, his strength parameters and that’s going to continue given the injuries we’ve seen.”
Daw’s teammate Jamie Macmillan told the Herald Sun recently that a Daw return would transcend football.
“I would be lying if I said I hadn’t thought about it and Maj talks about it a lot,” Macmillan said.
“It’s his end goal and if it were to happen, not only us as teammates would be in his corner.
“You would have the opposition coach and fans and whole AFL community rallying behind him. He has had his troubles but now everyone wishes him the best.”
6e563c4c05498ce0b907d18641a4a5ec
Majak Daw in full flight. Picture: Michael Klein
c100cef00c7c52a61b73de683441b1a2
Majak Daw is North Melbourne training. Picture: AAP Images
Daw returned to the club on February 11 to take part in the official team photo before his return to running on an anti-gravity treadmill was celebrated by teammates and players across the competition in mid-March.

similars

“I’m very excited by this. I’ve been waiting for this for so long. Maybe I couldn’t sleep last night because of this,” Daw told the Kangaroos website.
Daw, who used an open letter in January, to state he was “blessed with a second chance at life”, is expecting his first child with partner Emily McKay.
“I hope to be back out there playing in the blue and white stripes soon,” he said.
The 28-year-old was a backline revelation in 2018 in a breakout 18-game season in a key defensive post.

:rolleyes:

Yep Brown to CHF and Maj one out at FF and let his God given talents do the rest, it only took 9 years but we worked out kick the ball where you want Maj to be and by crikey the *er will get there!!

Seems the biggest casualty that fateful night was one B. Scott

Wouldn't it be mad if he could get up for the round 20 150th anniversary match?

I’ve completely given up on this season.

BUT!

If he makes it back in round 20 then yes it would be mad and I’d expect every north supporter to make the effort and attend the game.

Would be just as inspirational as Jason McCartney comeback.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If there was going to be a shining light in a horror season...
He should have been the motivator to have a successful year
It’s embarassing what’s occurred onfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes I wonder if the players are still getting over what happened.
It was said after round 1
There’s more to life than footy etc etc
How long do they need to come round?
It’s an indictment on the list really

Sometimes I wonder if the players are still getting over what happened.

That's a bit of a cop out, I reckon. He's going from positive stride to positive stride.

We're just s**t at the moment.

It was said after round 1
There’s more to life than footy etc etc
How long do they need to come round?
It’s an indictment on the list really

Have you ever had friends try to top themselves?

Or succeed?

IIRC he was bloody lucky to survive.

I'm pissed off at how we're playing too but if those blokes can't get it together cos of that then I'll probably cut them some slack, especially after less than 5 months. They may be unable to process what happened and as a result not move on in their lives and play proper footy and if that's the case its tough s**t for us I guess cos no amount of new coaches or game plans will change that.

That's a bit of a cop out, I reckon. He's going from positive stride to positive stride.

We're just **** at the moment.

Its not how he's doing now its what could have happened playing on your their mind. I've had PTSD from a situation that worked out alright, where I did the right thing to make it work out all right (it could have been so much worse) and a couple of years later it hit me in a vaguely related circumstance.

I'd imagine the impact is different for each player, and Maj's road to recovery has been a fluidity of challenges and successes, but no one on here is in any position to decide for any of the players how they should work their way through it. I'm sure they're all doing their very best, and there's likely a whole aspect of stuff going on at a subconscious level that they're not even aware of. And as a collective to boot. The fact is we don't know. But speaking negatively about it on here and saying that they should just get over it already is not on. Ever.

Have you ever had friends try to top themselves?

Or succeed?

IIRC he was bloody lucky to survive.

I'm pissed off at how we're playing too but if those blokes can't get it together cos of that then I'll probably cut them some slack, especially after less than 5 months. They may be unable to process what happened and as a result not move on in their lives and play proper footy and if that's the case its tough **** for us I guess cos no amount of new coaches or game plans will change that.
Mate we are all on Majaks side and this all occurred over Christmas.
The support from North and non north people has been immense.
He has since returned to the club, began running, kicked a footy and has a kid on the way.
From a massive negative there has been numerous uplift moments since that should have galvanized the group.
Instead there are massive cultural issues, the gameplan is stuffed, club hierarchy is rotting from within and the coach is in the gun. If Majak is in their heads for the wrong reasons, I repeat they are doing him and themselves a disservice.

Mate we are all on Majaks side and this all occurred over Christmas.
The support from North and non north people has been immense.
He has since returned to the club, began running, kicked a footy and has a kid on the way.
From a massive negative there has been numerous uplift moments since that should have galvanized the group.
Instead there are massive cultural issues, the gameplan is stuffed, club hierarchy is rotting from within and the coach is in the gun. If Majak is in their heads for the wrong reasons, I repeat they are doing him and themselves a disservice.

That's not how people work.

But before we get to that...

What are the massive cultural issues? (Apart from the same bullshit problems we've always had? If that's them then fair enough.)

Do you even know what the gameplan is (if so what is it and why is it stuffed?)

"The heirarchy is rotting from within?" Really? How is that happening? What does that even mean? This sort of language is what i expect to hear in politics.

The coach should be in the gun given we're one and five for the second time in three years with the same bullshit problems we've always had.

Back to that - If Majak is in their heads for the wrong reasons, I repeat they are doing him and themselves a disservice.

That's flat out bullshit. If he is in their (or some of their) heads for the wrong, I mean right reasons, they have every right to be that way and telling them they are doing him a disservice is not the right way to go about achieving anything except venting your own frustration. Not even a good way to do that. Its not helping him, them or us as supporters of the club (specifically in terms of us seeing the boys win a few games soon.) Its been less than 5 months since this happened and what i'm talking about might not even be a conscious process. Your attitude is ****ed up.

With respect, cos I do respect your posting.

If that's what happening (ie players dwelling on what happened before Christmas is contributing to our shitness onfield) you can't criticise the players for it. Well you can if you want but it certainly won't help anything or help solve that problem.

That's not how people work.

But before we get to that...

What are the massive cultural issues? (Apart from the same bullshit problems we've always had? If that's them then fair enough.)

Do you even know what the gameplan is (if so what is it and why is it stuffed?)

"The heirarchy is rotting from within?" Really? How is that happening? What does that even mean? This sort of language is what i expect to hear in politics.

The coach should be in the gun given we're one and five for the second time in three years with the same bullshit problems we've always had.

Back to that - If Majak is in their heads for the wrong reasons, I repeat they are doing him and themselves a disservice.

That's flat out bullshit. If he is in their (or some of their) heads for the wrong, I mean right reasons, they have every right to be that way and telling them they are doing him a disservice is not the right way to go about achieving anything except venting your own frustration. Not even a good way to do that. Its not helping him, them or us as supporters of the club (specifically in terms of us seeing the boys win a few games soon.) Its been less than 5 months since this happened and what i'm talking about might not even be a conscious process. Your attitude is ****** up.

With respect, cos I do respect your posting.

If that's what happening (ie players dwelling on what happened before Christmas is contributing to our shitness onfield) you can't criticise the players for it. Well you can if you want but it certainly won't help anything or help solve that problem.
Again mate you seem to have completely missed the point.
Majak would not want anyone feeling sorry for him nor would he want to be treated differently.
Time heals all wounds and again I stress there has been numerous events since the incident to demonstrate things are on an upwards curve.
The performance on field seems likely to cost a few careers as finishing bottom is not on and it’s a major step backwards.

Let’s take what your saying on face value. If the losses continue to mount and Scott goes because the list couldn’t deal with Majaks incident, that is an incredibly sad outcome for all parties involved. Hence why it’s an indictment on the playing list.

Again mate you seem to have completely missed the point.
Majak would not want anyone feeling sorry for him nor would he want to be treated differently.
Time heals all wounds and again I stress there has been numerous events since the incident to demonstrate things are on an upwards curve.
The performance on field seems likely to cost a few careers as finishing bottom is not on and it’s a major step backwards.

Let’s take what your saying on face value. If the losses continue to mount and Scott goes because the list couldn’t deal with Majaks incident, that is an incredibly sad outcome for all parties involved. Hence why it’s an indictment on the playing list.

Its not "feeling sorry for him". Its individual's brains not working the way they did beforehand because of the shock of it. I doubt any of them feel sorry for him but I'll bet its made all of them question alot about their lives. I hope so anyway.

And it could be sad for Scott. But he has had his chances.

The truth is the same issues have dogged the club for years. We have poor skills when we aren't under pressure, miss too many set shots at crucial times and lack composure and the will to win/killer instinct. That is all. And that is on the coach(es) and the senior players. Well some of them. (I wouldn't put it on Cunners even if his opponents get away from him too easily for example. Although I just typed that and am already changing my mind.) It may also be on other people around the club including the admin.

If we'd worked on those things sufficiently over the years and if Maj's summer is a factor in our performance that work would have buffered us to an extent. We may have lost some games but we'd still be in the season. (imo anyway.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back