Traded 11. Tim Kelly (2018 - 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't this guy have a lot of discipline/attitudinal issues which hampered his ability to get drafted in previous years, and he overcame this with a strong support network outside of football? Seems something of a risk that the go-home factor will be strong and he will struggle to keep himself up to the standard so far from home and his social network.

The pick otherwise makes sense, however. Geelong needs small forwards who can kick goals and play now, and he should be able to do that provided those aforementioned concerns don't quell his capacity to perform for Geelong at AFL.

I think that's Liam Ryan you are thinking of

Can anyone share why he was consistently overlooked in previous drafts? And what has now changed for him?

What the ****? Somebody please explain, aaand he's listed as currently injured. Of ******* course he is.
Forgive the intrusion from a Freo supporter - But I also follow South Fremantle in WA and saw a lot of him in WA this year.

At WA level he is an elite clearance machine. Had one game this year where he had 20 possession to half time and was moved to the forward pocket and kicked 7 goals in the second half. People had the record books out looking for when the last time anyone had 35 possessions and 10 goals in 1 game

Had a lot of injuries as an 18 year old lost the passion and came back this year.

Xavier Ellis (ex hawthorn and west cost) was quoted as saying he is a starting 22 player in any AFL team.
If we had a 20's pick I would be the happiest man in Aus at the moment.

I can only hope he gets homesick.

So Ablett and Kelly v Motlop and Powell with a pick swap in next years draft outstanding.

On the surface Kelly is a bit of a flight risk with a young kid and from WA but Geelong rarely take these sort of flighty players so presumably with our pre draft interest in him flagged they have really done the due diligence on him and he was keen to move over.

We had to take him at Pick 24, as the Eagles and a few other clubs would've been all over him.

Tbh, this guy could be as good as a Motlop or a Daniel Wells. We had to take him early, and this is a perfect fit for us give the list and the window.

Haha, I knew once I mentioned this guy's name in an email to Wellsy, the fact that he did not respond to my email suggested they were seriously looking at him already, you can't let the Cat out of the bag before Draft night! It was my only recommendation actually.

Eat your words?....you might have to get your foot out of the way first.

Kelly was selected by many in top 25...he's strong and hard and ready to go...if we hadn't taken him WCE would have.

Great selection IMO.

West coast paused for a while deliberating over their next pick. I have no doubt it was because they wanted to draft Kelly ahead of Liam Ryan.

I liked him when I watched him earlier. A Rolls Royce of a player that likes to carry the ball but I'm not sure he's that quick. But he's really clean and I think will have the type of impact that Stewart has had.

Not quick?

Someone did alota serious video editing then if that boy ain’t quick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems something of a risk that the go-home factor will be strong and he will struggle to keep himself up to the standard so far from home and his social network.
I don't think so - he's shown that he knows what rejection is like and how very special it is to get drafted. Ho knows that you have to make sacrifices and work bloody hard to make in in the AFL. He is not some young wide-eyed kid for whom everything has come easy and the rigours of AFL life is a shock. Now that he is in a team, he'll work work hard to cling on to this opportunity. He'll stick.

Anyone care to give a run down of this bloke?
I know very little about him although he does look familiar (did he lack fitness the last few years?).

Really good player, can win his own ball in congestion but has real breakaway speed from the contest and hits up targets well by foot and will run to create a second option, a real 70-80m player and kicks goals too.

Has had to lift his consistency the last few years but had a fantastic year in the WAFL this year like Menegola did in 2015 and we all know how well he made the step up. That consistency will be the query as will how well his partner settles in Vic (they have a young child and she is pregnant with twins so she will have to manage three young kids in a new state) but I am sure that the club is aware of this and will have the support networks in place for it.

One to watch over summer for your supercoach teams, we have a real vacancy for a quick line breaking wingman with Motlop gone and he could play lots of senior footy in year one like Stewart did.

Oh really? I retract my point then.

You were thinking of Liam Ryan from Subiaco (I think WCE really wanted them both and pushed for Ryan once we took Kelly) who Subi have had issues managing. Kelly has always worked really hard to pursue his footy he just hasn't had a breakout year until this year. Whether he can consistently stay at that bar he has set this year and how well his partner settles in an unfamiliar environment with 3 kids will determine how well he goes but there is a lot of talent there and he fills a key need for us.

I don't think so - he's shown that he knows what rejection is like and how very special it is to get drafted. Ho knows that you have to make sacrifices and work bloody hard to make in in the AFL. He is not some young wide-eyed kid for whom everything has come easy and the rigours of AFL life is a shock. Now that he is in a team, he'll work work hard to cling on to this opportunity. He'll stick.

I agree with all of that completely however it doesn't necessarily mean his partner will stick, raising 3 kids under 4 including twins away from home will be a real challenge (this is assuming the club doesn't bring extra family members over etc) I did note with Wilson this year how he was really happy at the Giants but his partner found it difficult to stick it out and that's why Freo convinced him to come back, so that's a risk here but no doubt the club will have interviewed Kelly's family several times and done their due diligence on it.

At the end of the day I think it's worth the risk as maligned as Motlop was he filled a role that we are not flush with options for, at the end of the day this debate comes down to do you want Kolo/Blicavs on a wing again or shoehorning a player from another position there (for example Parsons etc) or do you want Kelly there? The answer's obvious to me and while we are in the window that makes it worth the risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back