Senior 11. Mitchell Edwards (2023 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

The Sean Darcy rumours have been going on for as long as the Scott Lucas's ones from 20 years ago. Move on.
We dont and never really needed sean darcy. The price tag is way too high when we can go out and snag the two rucks we have wirh mid 20’s and 30’s picks.

Thr sort of compensation we would have to give for Darcy is better spent on a KF or a gun mid

The draft for mine is all about future options and list balance. I have felt for some time that we have been light in talls. We now have three/four rucks on our list .. with Edwards .. I think as a bonus maybe we have anotehr player who could be the tall option ina post Hawkins era. Not a real FF but a tall set of hands. Hawkins is a rare beast. You cant just replace him but his role might be re imagined..

Doesn't mean we do not look at other options in the future either.

Even if Conway is a star primary ruck, in the post Blicavs world we'll need a second ruck and they can probably play in the same side as long as one is useful up forward. It sounds like Edwards does okay in that area.
It looks like ever since that dreaded Max Gawn prelim the club have said enough is enough, we're fixing this for good.

It's expensive and uncharacteristic to take two rucks pretty early in the draft...but if they're both guns then we'll be well on our way to another flag.

We can play both of them, too.

Richmond won flags with Nank, Soldo, Lynch & Jack all playing. Likewise WC with Vardy, Lycett, Darling, & Kennedy.

Dees too with Jackson, Gawn, Brown & McDonald.

It's a fallacy that you can't play two key forwards and two rucks, it's actually closer to the norm if we look across the recent premiers.

Only us, and Collingwood didn't do it, and even then the Pies played both Cameron & Cox, with both being over 200cms to go with Frampton & Mihocek.

Even if Conway is a star primary ruck, in the post Blicavs world we'll need a second ruck and they can probably play in the same side as long as one is useful up forward. It sounds like Edwards does okay in that area.
Post blicavs world? two rucks is not a new thing. In fact its less common now then it previously was.

ottens and blake/west, king and barnes, bourke and flanagan, barnes and stoneham.

It looks like ever since that dreaded Max Gawn prelim the club have said enough is enough, we're fixing this for good.

It's expensive and uncharacteristic to take two rucks pretty early in the draft...but if they're both guns then we'll be well on our way to another flag.

We can play both of them, too.

Richmond won flags with Nank, Soldo, Lynch & Jack all playing. Likewise WC with Vardy, Lycett, Darling, & Kennedy.

Dees too with Jackson, Gawn, Brown & McDonald.

It's a fallacy that you can't play two key forwards and two rucks, it's actually closer to the norm if we look across the recent premiers.

Only us, and Collingwood didn't do it, and even then the Pies played both Cameron & Cox, with both being over 200cms to go with Frampton & Mihocek.
The main point with those two teams is that Gawn and Lycett are #1 rucks and Jackson and Vardy were forwards and could ruck, and thats the balance you need.
We are a bit different in that we have Stanley in the ruck and Blicavs who is a mid who can ruck.

Whats interesting is that WCE team in 2018 ran with Lycett and Vardy in the ruck from Rd 18 onwards because NicNat basically played Rds 1-17 then got injured and missed the end of the season.
Lycett played 25 games for 10 goals, and NicNat 15 games for 6 goals. Vardy then comes in for 10 games for 7 goals, so its not like they were running a set up like Melbourne where Jackson kicked as many goals as NicNat and Lycett combined and was a constant forward threat.
Vardy doesn't get into the team without the NicNat injury, meaning WCE were intent on running two #1 rucks and it was working well for them.

Post blicavs world? two rucks is not a new thing. In fact its less common now then it previously was.

ottens and blake/west, king and barnes, bourke and flanagan, barnes and stoneham.
I obviously mean the current edition of this team and how it would evolve.

Of course you already knew that, but a pedantic "don't you remember the club during the generations before Blicavs" felt like a triumphant post.

I applaud you. Now that I have recovered from my amnesia, I do remember those partnerships and the hundreds of others that have existed in the AFL history alone.

The thing I'm most curious is why did be bother adding Furphy to the list?

Assuming Stanley plays 1st ruck, we now have to split VFL ruck time between Conway and Edwards next year. Which means Furphy will probably end up being pushed into a KPD role... But we just drafted O'Sullivan.

The challenge with young rucks is you only have space to properly develop one in the VFL because they just take gametime away from each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where does this kid rank among the ruck stocks in this draft class? Was he no1, no2, etc
Depends on who you ask, and at different points of the year.

Started off as the best prospect, and then with Reads development and "can play anywhere" factor, he became the second best prospect, but still seen as the best pure tap ruckman.

It's all become a bit muddled with Goad & Green bolting from nowhere a bit, but Edwards was a constant in the top 10-30 power rankings all year, and seen as the definitive second ruck until recently.

The thing I'm most curious is why did be bother adding Furphy to the list?

Assuming Stanley plays 1st ruck, we now have to split VFL ruck time between Conway and Edwards next year. Which means Furphy will probably end up being pushed into a KPD role... But we just drafted O'Sullivan.

The challenge with young rucks is you only have space to properly develop one in the VFL because they just take gametime away from each other.
We added Furphy cause he cost nothing and we reckon he might be able to play. It's no more complex than that.

Assuming no injuries Stanley will play 15 h&a games max. Probably less. Conway will play at least 10 AFL games probably more. And he'll likely be rested completely rather than play VFL a few times to manage his load.

Edwards and Furphy almost certainly won't play every game either and we would want both playing significant time away from the ruck to develop their full game. So I don't think it'll be an issue.

This from Richmond’s “inside the draft” HS piece

“The Tigers started Tuesday trying to trade up the order from pick 35 – not down.

They ranked big boys Archie Reid and Mitch Edwards well inside their first round and so they offered West Coast pick 35 plus a future pick for No. 30 (the first selection on Tuesday night)

They declined, took Reid themselves and then Geelong grabbed Edwards at pick 32.

“We probably could’ve gone a little bit harder (at striking a trade for Reid or Edwards)”

This from Richmond’s “inside the draft” HS piece

“The Tigers started Tuesday trying to trade up the order from pick 35 – not down.

They ranked big boys Archie Reid and Mitch Edwards well inside their first round and so they offered West Coast pick 35 plus a future pick for No. 30 (the first selection on Tuesday night)

They declined, took Reid themselves and then Geelong grabbed Edwards at pick 32.

“We probably could’ve gone a little bit harder (at striking a trade for Reid or Edwards)”
Chasing a tall when the pick they traded out for Hopper could have landed Curtin, Caddy, or COS.....

Delicious

Cannot play in the same team as Conway. Strange selection
It’s emerging multiple clubs had him well inside the first 18 selections.

Just take the best player if the value is there. I mean our rucks aren’t exactly a strength. It’s why i would have taken Murphy with our later 2nd round pick.

One of Murphy or Sullivan would hit. I have zero idea why we are taking 26 year olds with picks like these.

Our mature agers seem to be getting older and taken higher theses days.

Just spent a good half an hour reading all the boards for WC and Freo - including the draft night board.

Not one joke was made about him. Not one allusion made to this bs 'myth.' All that was said was from the Freo board, was that they were mighty pissed we took him before they could match.

Not to mention, Tigers and Saints rumoured to have wanted him with Picks 33 and 35 - which is why we got in first.

Doubt 4 different clubs are that interested if any of this was remotely true. There would have been a Schoenmaker level slide otherwise.

SYL is a known s**t stirrer and loves the sound of his voice (in a manner of speaking). Doesn't surprise me in the least that he's the one who added fuel to the fire of these 'rumours.'

In these days of social media and everyone knowing everything, you wouldn't be able to keep something like this quiet. My conclusion then is it's complete BS, or a wildly exaggerated rumour (like him being drunk and mimicking the act) - rather than someone filming am abhorrent act like that and then posting it on the internet.

It doesn't make any sense, and there's absolutely no proof anywhere to back it up. Let's not let this sully a young kid's name - especially one who is a mad Geelong supporter and who hopefully has the next 15 years ahead of him at our club.

Love this pick - great potential in his own right but also essential given Conways durability issues - it’s tough on your body in the ruck so this is welcome depth as well as offering a forward/ruck option. Couldn’t ask for a better base as a ruckman. Head down, work hard Mitch and can’t wait to see you run out with the ones.

Yeah I like the thinking behind a selection like this.

Mitchell Edwards gives us some insurance with both Toby Conway and Shannon Neale, and hopefully if all goes well he will be breathing down their necks in terms of pushing for senior opportunities.

Understand he will take time to develop physically given the demands playing as either key forward or ruck; but if he puts the work in he might start making inroads by 2025.

Just watched the interview with Mitch on the club website. Seems a nice kid. He speaks well and comes across as humble….yet quietly confident and determined. Clearly has an amazing athletic profile and fingers crossed he’s got the work ethic and necessary dedication to take full advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back