Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Good.

In all honesty, he's a senior player who didn't see a lot of game time for reasons.

If he goes on to play basically every game next year, it would create an interesting discussion about what his inclusion into a team that finished last may have meant.

indeed it will, and I look forward to Jared getting fit enough to put the theory to the test. But along the way, one of the things in play with Jared is how people read his body language (whether he means it or not). Leave aside Brian Taylor's asinine comments about him folding his arms while waiting on the bench, I saw Polec's return game in the VFL this season. Now whether he meant it or not, he seriously looked as though he couldn't have given a toss; maybe he was under instructions not to go hard too early from the S&C staff, but the way you present does count for something, and if there's seemingly no energy or enthusiasm then it can't help but be a factor in the way coaching staff look at a player.

Anything is possible. They'll speak like he's a North Melbourne player until he isn't.

I don't have any feel for Jared being on or off our list in 2022 but just because we made some comments about his future doesn't mean a deal wouldn't be struck in trade week.

If Geelong offered pick #40 and Jared wanted to go there with us copping some of the wage I reckon we'd take the deal.

Anything is possible. They'll speak like he's a North Melbourne player until he isn't.

I don't have any feel for Jared being on or off our list in 2022 but just because we made some comments about his future doesn't mean a deal wouldn't be struck in trade week.

If Geelong offered pick #40 and Jared wanted to go there with us copping some of the wage I reckon we'd take the deal.
Surely if we are paying part of his wage we should do better than #40. Our Salary cap is not struggling.

Surely if we are paying part of his wage we should do better than #40. Our Salary cap is not struggling.
I’d pay all of it for a higher pick

It was a random hypothetical rather than any sort of prediction.

The only clubs I'd imagine who'd come knocking for Jared would be those in contention who back in their medicos.

I'd be surprised if any of them would offer anything as early as a 2nd rounder and if they did I'd guess we're taking on the bulk of his wage for 2 years.

Cancerous?

Jesus.

Our lack of care for the ball is cancerous, senior players who make the same mistakes as debutants is cancerous.

Jared is an absolute warrior compared to Goldy. And he’s an absolute superstar compared to Hall, Ziebell, Turner, Mahony, Dumont, Young, Atu, Taylor.

He does have a touch of the Mark Waugh’s about him, but cancerous is a disgraceful call.

We sold him a Lemon, not the other way around.

Cancerous?

Jesus.

Our lack of care for the ball is cancerous, senior players who make the same mistakes as debutants is cancerous.

Jared is an absolute warrior compared to Goldy. And he’s an absolute superstar compared to Hall, Ziebell, Turner, Mahony, Dumont, Young, Atu, Taylor.

He does have a touch of the Mark Waugh’s about him, but cancerous is a disgraceful call.

We sold him a Lemon, not the other way around.

Agree with you that pretty average post. It's a well documented fact that he had foot issues even if his port days so will always be a case of him having to have a specific regime.

This isnt to defend him though but might be a reason why he only played the one game at AFL before being so called managed again. Season was gone and opportunities to develop others.

Hopefully big pre season and the team will be more ready for him than the one he battled in back in 20

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Port offered him 3 years because of a poor medical. If he can’t get on the park next year it really does highlite how bad our medical team has been.

The boy can play, when fit.
Port didn't want to overcommit to him because they weren't convinced they'd be able to manage his chronic foot problem and when we aren't able to either, our medical team is sh*t?

Our medical team gave the thumbs up to a 5 year deal.
You don't know what they said. It was a risk, which we took, given that we had been crying out for an outside run and carry player and Polec was one of the best in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't know what they said. It was a risk, which we took, given that we had been crying out for an outside run and carry player and Polec was one of the best in the comp.
And it looks like a pretty stupid decisions. Risk wasn’t worth the reward.
As I said, he’s a very good player, but his ability to play beyond the 3 years was always going to be very iffy.

I mean for all we know the medical staff could’ve been overruled, regardless of the tools the guy has they are pretty useless if he’s injured. With the kind of money offered you do not take that risk.

If the med staff were overruled then that is horrendous, if they weren’t and gave the thumbs up they should be held responsible, I mean at the time it was common knowledge that port had concerns.

I mean for all we know the medical staff could’ve been overruled, regardless of the tools the guy has they are pretty useless if he’s injured. With the kind of money offered you do not take that risk.

If the med staff were overruled then that is horrendous, if they weren’t and gave the thumbs up they should be held responsible, I mean at the time it was common knowledge that port had concerns.
It’s actually a huge possibility with Joyce and Scotts in charge.

You win some and you lose some, Higgins and Waite were always injured and got healthy. Polec has struggled. Can't get it right every time.

Just on the "lazy" footy, everyone who has played understands the value of a solid preseason and continuity in your body and how that affects performance on the field. It's simple with Polec, do what we can get him to the line and hopefully some continuity in his body will see him back to his best (or close enough to it) next season.

I doubt that it works like that. The medical staff would give advice on the risk and the recruiting staff would consider that, along with everything else.

You win some and you lose some, Higgins and Waite were always injured and got healthy. Polec has struggled. Can't get it right every time.

Just on the "lazy" footy, everyone who has played understands the value of a solid preseason and continuity in your body and how that affects performance on the field. It's simple with Polec, do what we can get him to the line and hopefully some continuity in his body will see him back to his best (or close enough to it) next season.

And he is still what 28, so still time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Doesn't sound like he's going anywhere.

The coaches said:

“For Jared it’s all about his body, he’s had an interrupted couple of years. He’s got to work really hard in getting his body to a level where he can withstand the rigours of AFL football. We’re looking forward to him having a really good off-season and pre-season. If you think back to his best footy, his speed, kicking and link-up were at a really high level. He’s just got to find a way to get his body back up to the fitness levels where he can continue to perform consistently.” - Jordan Russell (midfield coach)

His foot was stuffed before he came over to us remember? Plenty of PA supporters saying that at the time.

I doubt that it works like that. The medical staff would give advice on the risk and the recruiting staff would consider that, along with everything else.
That’s my point, the med staff should have known. It was pretty common knowledge. However maybe 1% chance Joyce and Scott pulled the trigger, they had such a hard on for recruiting a big fish it has a minuscule amount of possibility

That’s my point, the med staff should have known. It was pretty common knowledge. However maybe 1% chance Joyce and Scott pulled the trigger, they had such a hard on for recruiting a big fish it has a minuscule amount of possibility
I don't understand what you're saying. Of course the med staff would have known. F***, even I knew. What do you mean 1% chance Joyce / Scott pulled the trigger? History tells us that they did. They would have advice from the medical people that there was a risk, and then decided to go ahead anyway. As The Anvil wrote above, there was risk attached to Higgo and W80 too. Sometimes they come off, sometimes they don't.

I’m saying it’s on the med staff.

North Melbourne has committed to taking Jared Polec in next month’s Rookie Draft as the club looks for more flexibility with list spots going into the National Draft. The decision means the club will need to delist Polec in Friday’s List Lodgement.

The Roos will now be able to select up to six players in the NAB AFL Draft, with the club holding picks 1, 20, 42, 47, 72 and 77.

GM Football Brady Rawlings said the move offered greater flexibility to bring in youthful talent at next month’s draft.

“All our picks from 42 onwards will come in significantly as other clubs use earlier selections to bid on father-son and Next Generation Academy players,” Rawlings said.

“We’ve obviously got a couple of premium selections at the top end of the draft, but having more picks after that provides a great opportunity to bring in some talented players who lacked exposure over the past two COVID-affected seasons.

“Once we get past the national draft, we’ll call Jared’s name out in the rookie draft.

“Jared’s cooperation with this list option has been appreciated and will not affect his opportunities at AFL level in any way.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back