Past #15: Paul Ahern - delisted after 24 NM games/6 NM goals - thanks Pauly

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/01/19/roos-youngster-lighting-up-pre-season-training-crocker/

ROOS YOUNGSTER LIGHTING UP PRE-SEASON TRAINING: CROCKER
BY JUSTIN TALENT 13 HOURS AGO
GettyImages-905017704.jpg

North Melbourne director of coaching Darren Crocker says that injury-troubled youngster Paul Ahern is well on the path to finally making his AFL debut in 2018.

The 21-year-old number 7 pick in the 2014 AFL National Draft suffered two knee reconstructions during his time with first club the GWS Giants, with the latter forcing him to miss the entirety of his first season at the Kangaroos as well.

However the midfielder has currently managed to navigate North’s 2018 pre-season campaign without any issues, with Crocker saying the youngster is tracking “really well”.

“He’s shown everyone why we picked him up,” Crocker, who also serves at the club’s midfield coach, told SEN Drive.

“He’s smart, he’s a nice mover, he keeps his feet really well and rarely goes to ground. He’s strong through the hips and he uses the ball well.

“We’re really excited with what he has got to offer.

“We’ve obviously been very patient with him after having those two knee reconstructions with GWS. We knew he was a highly talented player. Our guys liked him in the draft when he was coming through, so they knew what he had to offer.

“We’ve just had to be patient and we’ve done that and he’s now been able to complete the entire pre-season to this point.”

Ahern was traded to the Roos for pick 69 in the 2016 AFL Trade Period, with the Giants on-trading the pick to Melbourne.

The Dees selected Dion Johnstone with the pick, who is also yet to play a senior AFL game.

1116 SEN - Darren Crocker on Drive (19/01/2018) https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/?id=168912

AHERN FINALLY READY TO REPAY PATIENT ROOS

FORGOTTEN North Melbourne youngster Paul Ahern hopes to be a role model for future draftees who may be dealt serious injury setbacks.

The untried former GWS Giants No.7 draft pick, who ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament twice in five months in 2016 before a trade to North Melbourne, will use AFLX and JLT Series to stamp his Round 1 credentials.

“I want to try and show people, no matter how big the setback, you can always get back and play some really good footy,” Ahern told the Herald Sun. “If they have a setback like a knee or an ankle it’s not the end of the world — if you work really hard in rehab you can really go places.”

The Kangaroos were prepared to be patient, signing Ahern, now 21, knowing he would not play — at any level — in 2017, regardless of any fitness and physical gains. The mandated time off was designed to give Ahern peace of mind with his knee, to focus on rehabilitation, and “listen” to his body.

“No, it didn’t really bother me at all, I just really wanted to get into my rehab,” Ahern said. “It was a good thing, I didn’t have to focus on trying to get back and playing games. “I could take my time and really focus on ... working hard in the gym and fixing areas that needed improving strength wise.”

Ahern has been in full training since November — 14 months after second reconstruction — without any knee issues. The 183cm midfielder, who last played for the Giants’ reserves in 2015, could be trialled in the backline next month, with the Kangaroos desperate for rebound and polish up the ground.

The Kangaroos will again field one of — if not — the youngest teams in the competition, and Ahern is excited about the opportunity to be a “Shinboner” in 2018.

“The word ‘rebuild’ hasn’t been used around here,” a defiant Ahern said. “We (want to have) a really good season, obviously, we’d love to be there in September, but at the moment it’s getting everyone ready for Round 1. “This year has been one of the most bonded teams I’ve been around, I think everyone enjoys coming to the club and working hard together. “I think if we can get a few wins it’s going to be huge for us.”

A year like Garner's last year - stay fit, play 14+ games. Put two years of conditioning into a confident body then look out 2019 season.

“This year has been one of the most bonded teams I’ve been around, I think everyone enjoys coming to the club and working hard together. “I think if we can get a few wins it’s going to be huge for us.”

Seems to be a common theme we keep hearing from players coming into the club from elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given up on "GarnerMakeYouSweat"?

TG doesn't get enough points for dollar value in the gimmick that is DreamTeam.

Onfield TG does stuff that are immeasurable in impact - his chase down tackles at vital stages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back