Opinion 16 a side - why not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bounce the bloody ball already! This 16 a side bs, will soon be forgotten!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If you didn't keep bouncing it to the top of the page this would fade into the depths of obscurity like so many threads before it.

16 a side "may" reduce congestion.

It may also reduce the number of contests.

If thats what you want, then go for it. There is enough keepies off for my liking already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congestion battle: 16-a-side footy might be trialled next pre-season

I've always wanted this. Someone tell me why it's a bad idea.
Why??? What makes you think this will change the game for the better??? Just remember,
  1. Coaches will always attempt to employ a game plan to have the game match played on their terms.
  2. When point 1 fails, coaches will employ a second set of tactics to control the tempo of the game to limit the amount of damage inflicted by the opposition.
  3. Such tactics may involve putting more numbers around the contest. Congestion helps control opposition tempo.
  4. Should point 3 fail, a coach will resort to putting numbers behind the ball to make scoring as difficult as possible. The return of the flood.
  5. When players get tired, if it's not their turn to come off, they will be rested behind the ball. This is why killing off the I/C won't work in the modern game.
  6. I fail to see how 16-a-side will change any of previous 5 points.
If the AFL is serious about cleaning up congestion then it already has the mechanisms to do so within the current rules without destroying the fundamentals of the game:
  1. Pay a free kick against those who blatantly throw the ball out of contested situations in full view of the umpire. Yes I'm calling out Pendlebury, Thomas, S.Mitchell, Hodge, T. Mitchell, Lewis, etc, etc. Must happen at least a dozen times a game. Congestion cleared.
  2. Reward the tackler when an opponent doesn't dispose of the ball correctly, irrespective of prior opportunity. Get rid of the shades of grey and make the rule easier to umpire. Congestion cleared.
  3. Pay a free kick against taggers who are holding onto their opponents when not in possession of the ball. Congestion cleared.
  4. Get rid of the 10m protected area around the mark. The second opponent who may have stayed just outside of 5m to prevent the player moving off laterally now goes to a position behind the ball adding to congestion at the next contest.
  5. Throw-ins to take place from the boundary line again to open up more of the field. May assist in clearing congestion in conjunction with point 6.
  6. Pay a free kick against ruckmen who deliberately knock the ball out-of-bounds at throw-ins. Congestion cleared.
  7. Simplify the high tackle rule. I don't care if Selwood & Mathieson drop their knees. It's either high or it's not. The more shades of grey there is to a rule the harder it becomes for an umpire to adjudicate and arrive at a consistent decision.
  8. Get rid of every rule/interpretation change brought in by Kevin Bartlett aimed at taking the game back to 1932. I like KB, but he's very backward-thinking, which is why he's not the person to take the game forwards.
  9. Get back to paying marks only after the ball has travelled at least 15m. Encourages players to make position/find space further from the contest and may aid to reduce the amount of players around the contest.
  10. Bring back the rule where all players are fair game to be bumped and shepherded when within 5 metres of the ball whether they are expecting it or not. This includes at stoppages, ball-ups and throw-ins.
  11. Bring back the 3rd man up. Will prove to be one of the most farcical rule changes since the substitute rule was introduced.
Think that far too many people are far too happy changing the rules willy-nilly rather than assessing the tools they already have at their disposal.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back