Opinion 16 a side - why not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course it will open up the game, as there will be around 12% extra available space on the ground per player.

It may change the way some recruit and may change the way coaches map out their tactics, but more space will make it more open. It's only logical.
16 on the ground and 6 interchange. No-one loses.

I'm all for it. Have been for a long time.

KB was spot on today about this issue. Cant and shouldn't be changed to 16.

The AFL charter was created for a reason. To keep the key elements to Aussie rules footy, so that different administrations down the track can't change those!

Oval ball. Oval ground. 6 points for a goal. 1 point for a behind. 18 players per side on the ground.

Start changing one of the key aspects to what the game was built on and what next? Super goals? Play on a soccer shaped rectangle ground?

Can't believe I am agreeing with KB, but if you want to get congestion down cap the interchange to 6 changes for the game.

We have lost many of the key aspects of the game over the years, the AFL hasn't really shown any commitment to protecting the really key elements at all.

I don't really see 18 on the field as being a key aspect.
16 a side worked very well in the VFA for years.

We went from two reserves, to two interchange, then three and now four. These things all changed the game too.

If 16 on field leads to less congestion I'm all for it. I look forward to seeing it trialled at least.

Edited to add, zoning and offside are the things that would actually be a big change to the game, 16 a team really doesn't take away from the game being aussie rules at all.

Last edited:
I'd like to see it trialled at the top level for a bit before deciding, but it sounds ok to me.

the VFA did it for about 65 years, was good footy with more space even on a smaller ground. Would be a much better look on say the SCG.

they also had the throw pass for about 20y years

Congestion battle: 16-a-side footy might be trialled next pre-season

I've always wanted this. Someone tell me why it's a bad idea.

A little late to the party on this, but why do you like the idea?

Ill have a go at why it stinks.

Reducing the amount of players on the ground from 18 to 16 will have no bearing on congestion as it doesn't address the issue the game faces and thats, reducing the amount of players in a certain area at a certain time.

When discussing reducing field numbers, it is often stated, just remove the wingers. This in itself might work on the team sheet but what are the unintended consequences? The phasing out of a second ruck or a second tall defender/forward as all clubs players will be required to cover a lot more ground. The amount of players around the ball won't change just the amount of space that the disputed ball is kicked to.

If the AFL were serious in combating congestion then they would award more free kicks which speeds the game up, spreads the players and allows teams to actually put a forward in place as they know the game would be played on the break more.

Another option is zones, not like netball zones and no lines painted everywhere but a simple rule of a team having to have 3 forwards and 3 defenders in their respective halves removes a minimum of 6 players from around the ball.

Dropping the number of players to 16 from 18 also allows the game to be eroded from what it once was in to something the AFL want it to be. It doesn't take it back to how it was, it takes the game somewhere new and what next? Rectangular fields, last touch rules, no tackling, allowing throwing the ball.

Where does it end?

Get rid of every rule/interpretation change brought in by Kevin Bartlett aimed at taking the game back to 1932. I like KB, but he's very backward-thinking, which is why he's not the person to take the game forwards.

Bring back the rule where all players are fair game to be bumped and shepherded when within 5 metres of the ball whether they are expecting it or not. This includes at stoppages, ball-ups and throw-ins.

Do you not see that nearly all your points are trying to take the game to what it once was, a free flowing easier to umpire game? The thing you criticise KB for is the thing you are advocating.

16 a side will do little to ease congestion if all the players are still filling the same area.

Over the first 3 rounds i have seen vision of 36 players in 1/3-1/2 of the ground, half the ground is vacant. There is already a lot of space/room, the biggest issue is too many players in a certain area.

Making each team have 3 forwards and 3 backs in their respective halves removes players from congested areas and doesn't discriminate against certain body types.

How can reducing players not reduce congestion, when there is more ground available per individual?
I think you're stuck on it being a relative small number, hence you feel your logic somehow stacks up.

Example:
If we added 10 players per side would it become more congested? Of course it would. Obvious right?
If we deducted 10 players per side, would it open things up? Again obvious. Correct?

Even if you use an extreme example of having 32 players in half a field as against 36, congestion is reduced.....Obviously.

How it would ultimately play out is the bigger question but to say that reducing numbers wouldn't reduce congestion is folly.

This is true, I didn’t articulate my response/reasoning very well.

I’m short, I think this idea is very simplistic, doesn’t account for unintended consequences and doesn’t stop every player being in a very small part of the ground at one time.

I would much rather see zones as I believe it encourages the recruitment of players of all sizes and positions, it removes a certain number of players from around the ball/stoppages and it also means that when the ball is won and the players spread there is actually players to kick to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back