Past #16: Aiden Bonar - drafted by GWS #11 '17 ND - traded to NM end '19 - 25 NM games - thx Bon

Remove this Banner Ad

RF08's Season Review

Games Played: 10
Avg Disposals: 10.7
Goals: Nil
Stat Highlights: 80.6% disposal efficiency
- 8 defensive half pressure acts per game

Best Game
Round 5 Vs Geelong - 20 disposals, 6 marks, 3 rebound 50's
Round 6 Vs Fremantle - 19 disposals, 10 marks, 5 inside 50's

Summary

After shifting from the midfield to half back mater on in 2020, the expectation was that Bonar would cement his spot in the best 22 come season 2021. After a fantastic pre-season Bonar started the year in the best 22. He played the first 8 games of the year in defence and was really starting to find his niche as a lockdown defender who could play on both smaller and taller opponents. In those 8 games he starting to find the balance between attack and defence. In the first half of round 8 he was comprehensively beaten by Jordan De Goey, and his terrible night continued when he injured his ankle in the 3rd quarter. The ankle injury was worst than feared and he ended up spending over 3 months on the sidelines. It seems to be the case with Bonar, that as soon as he starts to find some continuity, he picks up some sort of injury. He returned to the side for the last 3 games of season, but his form was a little big uninspiring, often getting caught out of position while also not providing much offence. In a show of faith the club offered him a two year contract towards of the end of the year. It's obvious that Noble is a fan of his talent, but personally, I feel this pre-season will either make or break him as a definite best 22 player. He has all the hall marks of a good half back with his explosiveness, elite closing speed and courage, but he needs to get some resilience in his body so that he can get an extended crack at it. Hopefully he will get a full pre-season, so he can continue to build his tank and defensive craft so he can become more consistent next season.

RF08's Season Review

Games Played: 10
Avg Disposals: 10.7
Goals: Nil
Stat Highlights: 80.6% disposal efficiency
- 8 defensive half pressure acts per game

Best Game
Round 5 Vs Geelong - 20 disposals, 6 marks, 3 rebound 50's
Round 6 Vs Fremantle - 19 disposals, 10 marks, 5 inside 50's

Summary

After shifting from the midfield to half back mater on in 2020, the expectation was that Bonar would cement his spot in the best 22 come season 2021. After a fantastic pre-season Bonar started the year in the best 22. He played the first 8 games of the year in defence and was really starting to find his niche as a lockdown defender who could play on both smaller and taller opponents. In those 8 games he starting to find the balance between attack and defence. In the first half of round 8 he was comprehensively beaten by Jordan De Goey, and his terrible night continued when he injured his ankle in the 3rd quarter. The ankle injury was worst than feared and he ended up spending over 3 months on the sidelines. It seems to be the case with Bonar, that as soon as he starts to find some continuity, he picks up some sort of injury. He returned to the side for the last 3 games of season, but his form was a little big uninspiring, often getting caught out of position while also not providing much offence. In a show of faith the club offered him a two year contract towards of the end of the year. It's obvious that Noble is a fan of his talent, but personally, I feel this pre-season will either make or break him as a definite best 22 player. He has all the hall marks of a good half back with his explosiveness, elite closing speed and courage, but he needs to get some resilience in his body so that he can get an extended crack at it. Hopefully he will get a full pre-season, so he can continue to build his tank and defensive craft so he can become more consistent next season.

Best Game for me was definitely the Geelong game where he pulled Dangers pants down.

In a nutshell went from Bonars to Bonar and back to Bonars:p
I still have hope that Aiden will become someone who can rotate through the middle. Is a lovely young man apparently without any streak of nasty. Very humble .

I don't see him as a mid at all. Maybe as a stopper, but he gets lost in transition and hasn't really shown the ability to accumulate the footy at all across the journey.

I don't see him as a mid at all. Maybe as a stopper, but he gets lost in transition and hasn't really shown the ability to accumulate the footy at all across the journey.

And that will be his problem then, we want as many as we can to spend time in the middle. As I stated aways back, our very own Blitzkrieg.

In a nutshell went from Bonars to Bonar and back to Bonars:p
I still have hope that Aiden will become someone who can rotate through the middle. Is a lovely young man apparently without any streak of nasty. Very humble .

He will be fine. People have short memories.

Like a lot of people, I just don’t know whether Aidan has got it or not. He was a highly rated junior so there must have been something that caught the recruiters eye.
I can see him as a Spud Firrito type who can play on talls or smalls.
Coming from a different angle would it be worthwhile getting Spud to become a mentor to him? Guiding and encouraging not just from a playing viewpoint but also sharing how he became a highly respected and talented player after being rookie drafted.

He has all the hallmarks of an athletic intercept defender. He just needs continuity and to be surrounded by players that can let him shine. Those being real KPDs and a fleet footed halfback or two.

He would be an absolute rock in a backline like this
B: Bonar McKay Turner
HB Perez Corr Hall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His closing speed as a defender is quite exceptional. The physical attributes are all there, just needs some physical continuity so he can work on his game awareness etc.

Not great timing for him. Hope he's not cut from Mason Wood cloth of a constant 2 steps forward, 1 step back with his career.

Explains why he was doing laps on constant rotation yesterday when I dropped into training. Didn’t notice any strapping or a sense he was favouring his wrist while running though.

Hopefully back sooner rather than later and the medicos can work out what his issue is. Recurring injuries are career killers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back