Past #16: Scott Thompson - to retire end of 2019 season - thanks Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats footy, players snipe other players. Terms of "playing on the edge", "unsociable football" arent just throw away lines, players with a bit of mongrel are a necessity. When we seen Lewis belt Goldstein, Hodge belting our captain at the time, why do you think it happened? They targeted us :- we were threatening the Hawthorn machine at the time and they punched the bejesus out of us. And while we didn't actually lay down, we didn't actually even up the score in this department, whether it was in that game or the games after.

Im all for it when its both players on equal footing but when one player is tackled to the ground with another North player holding his arms down and Thompson comes over the top and drops his elbow in his face thats not on. He was extremely lucky to only get 1 week for that. I dont care if other clubs do it, i hate that stuff in football.

Thompson used to be a gun defender. He would intercept and play in front but as the injuries have come he has gone back to wrestling and the niggle. I understand why given he isnt able to stop the guys he is playing on but he went too far.

Im all for it when its both players on equal footing but when one player is tackled to the ground with another North player holding his arms down and Thompson comes over the top and drops his elbow in his face thats not on. He was extremely lucky to only get 1 week for that. I dont care if other clubs do it, i hate that stuff in football.

Thompson used to be a gun defender. He would intercept and play in front but as the injuries have come he has gone back to wrestling and the niggle. I understand why given he isnt able to stop the guys he is playing on but he went too far.
I'm not saying youre wrong Thommo if you could ask him as his best mate would say he tried nail him chest 1st and throw the elbow upwards his face area.......it was sloppy yes, but to say he shouldnt do it , and we be nice boys on the park I say no.
Ive been hit on the park and Ive dished it out too. As I said its part of the game.......
On finishing up:- just say its grand final day and Thommo does it to Dangerfield, would your reaction be the same?? I mean its for a flag?

Thread title change needed.

I was surprised to learn tonight that our dour, defensive number 16 is actually Nathan Thompson, not Scott.

Here I was thinking that Nathan was a forward who retired years ago, but the ever erudite Basil Zempilas set me right. :drunk:

Played very well tonight. He's far from a write off with his fitness returning based on that effort against a 200cm opponent who's often described as "the best young forward in the AFL". Durd's and co have more developing to do before they can be relied upon to do as Scooter did tonight.

Thread title change needed.

I was surprised to learn tonight that our dour, defensive number 16 is actually Nathan Thompson, not Scott.

Here I was thinking that Nathan was a forward who retired years ago, but the ever erudite Basil Zempilas set me right. :drunk:

Erudite; thesaurus - " full of shite "

Scooter is back! Barring a 60m bomb and that cheap goal over the back from a free thommo monstered lynch! Cant remember lynch winning a 1v1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great game - with that ball coming down freely like it was it was a wonder their big forwards didn't kick 6 each - Thommo won a lot of one on one contests which was critical to the win.

Played very well tonight. He's far from a write off with his fitness returning based on that effort against a 200cm opponent who's often described as "the best young forward in the AFL". Durd's and co have more developing to do before they can be relied upon to do as Scooter did tonight.

Amazing isn't it? When the team applies more pressure the defence improves.

Never thought Thompson was as bad as many made out certainly wasn't in the LT / Swallow form trough. There were weeks that Mick Martyn and Glenn Archer would've been annihilated in our defence such was the uncontested ball allowed in.

Good to see Scott T get a bit of kudos the last couple of weeks though.

Amazing isn't it? When the team applies more pressure the defence improves.

Never thought Thompson was as bad as many made out certainly wasn't in the LT / Swallow form trough. There were weeks that Mick Martyn and Glenn Archer would've been annihilated in our defence such was the uncontested ball allowed in.

Good to see Scott T get a bit of kudos the last couple of weeks though.

In a preseason interview with the club he informed us he'd played with injury most of last year. It showed, and he wasn't selecting himself of course and he doesn't strike me as the type of bloke to shirk his responsibilities when the selectors call upon him. He certainly appears better equipped to resume his role versus the gorillas this year and we're seeing the results.

A defence filled with kids would get utterly slaughtered in this day and age, particularly one with a midfield which has a tendency to nod off defensively for long periods.

In a preseason interview with the club he informed us he'd played with injury most of last year. It showed, and he wasn't selecting himself of course and he doesn't strike me as the type of bloke to shirk his responsibilities when the selectors call upon him. He certainly appears better equipped to resume his role versus the gorillas this year and we're seeing the results.

A defence filled with kids would get utterly slaughtered in this day and age, particularly one with a midfield which has a tendency to nod off defensively for long periods.

Interesting to hear that TT. Agree with your comment re his mindset - very similar to his BFF Spud in that he'll rock up and have a crack with every ounce of his guile, nous and bag on underhand tricks to try and broker a win for this team.

The Bizarro Wells.

Superb game from Scooter..... I thought Lynch would destroy him, I thought wrong. He hardly got a sniff, just made the most of limited opportunities. Thompson very creative coming out of defence too.. Massive big tick for the selection committee for keeping the faith when most on Big Footy (myself included) wanted him hung drawn and quartered.....

Never understood all the negative comments on Scooter here on this board. Gee he had a brain explosion today but for a guy who's mostly undersized, he's a damn good defender. And as a +1 is a damn good reader of the play.

Brad has both Scooter and Hansen who can be used as a +1 in defence, so he should use that advantage when the opposition decide to man up one of the them.

Never understood all the negative comments on Scooter here on this board. Gee he had a brain explosion today but for a guy who's mostly undersized, he's a damn good defender. And as a +1 is a damn good reader of the play.

Brad has both Scooter and Hansen who can be used as a +1 in defence, so he should use that advantage when the opposition decide to man up one of the them.

Spot on he made an error but it was a soft as butter free. And the rest of Scott's game more than made up for it.

Spot on he made an error but it was a soft as butter free. And the rest of Scott's game more than made up for it.

Yep was soft as butter for a free, but he has nothing to gain by doing it especially after the goal was kicked. He is a hell of a player though and I love him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back