Retired #17: Adam Cooney - Announces retirement and has cleaned out locker

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd give him an opportunity to redeem himself against the Dee's this week and if he can't pull his finger out of his arse we'd be better placed playing the likes of Laverde Fantasia or Edwards.

Yeah a little part of me dies every time this guy gets a game.

I know it's not his fault but he's just so far off being an AFL player.

I think he's good value around the club but he simply cannot be playing senior footy. Offers nothing offensively or defensively. Please, no more. Along with the shotgun, this is the worst trade we've ever made. Let us forget it please.
Cooney and Shotgun should both count themselves lucky they are not horses.

Why are we surprised - Many at the time suggested it was a risky decision - Cooney had a good 2012 and the trade then may have been justified, but his form in 2013 was ordinary - One of the issues is that Cooney is a midfielder and rarely plays as a midfielder.

He might be a bit past it now... but he IS a Brownlow Medalist. Can't really escape the fact that he WAS an AFL player, and WAS a very good one. I still think he should earn his spot, but yeah.
HIiiii Guuuuuuys!!!!!!!!

shane_woewodin_2000_169e1el-169e1h7.jpg

I'm with Sausage Rioli - cut him loose

yep ditch him. fast-track the youngsters, that's the motto for 2016.

Kinda feel bad for him, as he came to Essendon hoping to play in a successful side.
Now the Bulldogs are flying.
Still, football is a ruthless business, and it might be time for a drive to the country for this old dog.

Lost his explosiveness which was his biggest asset yet kind of holds onto an arrogance that his quirky off the cuff decisions are acceptable instead of doing roles within his body and ability...

My buddy had a full meltdown hissing and spitting at the TV screen over some of the team moral busting bs he tried against the Suns... I was fearing for the Bravia and flying remote stiches during yesterday's match a lil...

Last edited:
Kinda feel bad for him, as he came to Essendon hoping to play in a successful side.
Still, football is a ruthless business, and it might be time for a drive to the country for this old dog.
I have a different recollection of the trade, my impression being Cooney wanted to play on for the doggies, the doggies weren't as keen, Essendon were willing to take him under the false illusion we were going to have a crack in 2015.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long is the one to watch imho
Agreed. Once he puts on size and gets his tank up to the requisite standard he'll be an AFL player IMO. Has the speed, skills and agility to make it.

Agreed. Once he puts on size and gets his tank up to the requisite standard he'll be an AFL player IMO. Has the speed, skills and agility to make it.

Do we have a VFL practice match this week? Need to get along no and watch this kid. Spoke with someone from the club recently and they are super stoked with where he is at. Almost ahead of where they expected him to be. Won't be at all surprised to see him debut sooner rather than later

Do we have a VFL practice match this week? Need to get along no and watch this kid. Spoke with someone from the club recently and they are super stoked with where he is at. Almost ahead of where they expected him to be. Won't be at all surprised to see him debut sooner rather than later
Yep, Punt Road Friday Night.

To think we could of had Calib Daniel with the Cooney pick.

One of the worst trades ever.

Get over it. Every club makes trades that do not work out for whatever reason. Yes we could have picked Caleb Daniel who has done well in 11 games so far but is no lock to be a star yet. Over the years we could have picked any number of blokes but you can not look it it that way. We could have picked Luke Parker but we didn't. The fact is we got Lanngford and Laverde which worked out well.
If you dwell on every pick the club makes that you do not agree on you will always be bitter. Looks like the ****ed this one up. Big deal it happens. History says if you get 60% of your picks right you have done extremely well.

Play in a successful side? Haha anyone knows better than that. We haven't won a final in over a decade and he thinks we're going to waltz in and pinch a flag?? The whole club was delusional.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back