Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately he still doesn’t inspire me.

Yes he’s doing his job, especially looking at the team right now. I still can’t see Atley taking the next step.

Wish he was a more natural footy player.
What sort of next step do you want him to have? According to player ratings he's been on a solid upward trend since the beginning of last season, is top 10 in the league for his position, on the fringe of top 100 in the league and 6th at the club. His lowest player rating was outside the top 250 when he was stagnating at half back in the middle of 2016. The eye test shows that he's influencing games, he's 5th in the league for goal assists, and some of the harder to spot stats like pressure acts seem pretty good for his position/role.
upload_2018-6-26_8-8-17.png

He won't leave, and we wouldn't get what he is worth. If he needs a payrise so be it. He's earned it this year.

On a side note, don't you reckon he's an archetypal Brad Scott player now - hard, poised, passionate, bit of x-factor but also sacrifices whenever necessary to play his role? This is exactly how Scott likes players to develop imo.

Atley suffers from early expectations. Draft watchers likened him to Judd. Not his fault.

Also suffers from the first round draft pick tag. Reality of that is it was a compromised draft and late first round would really be early second now.

The only question that matters is does he add to our team and the answer is yes absolutely. Good player, not a star. Looks like he loves the club and his teammates love him. Imo Shinboner.

He would easily be in the top 10 players in our team this year (in fact over the last season worth of games). Doesn't miss games. Doesn't get injured. Applies significant physical and inferred pressure. About to hit his physical prime. Steals goals, creates more for others. On an open market he'd probably squeeze into a first round pick. Not sure exactly what people want or expect. We don't need 10 Ben Browns or 10 JZ's - as much as I love them.

I'm happy to say I wrote this guy off too soon. He has been better than a mere 'role player' this year, for mine.
I wouldnt say that i wrote him off. More to the point he frustrated the hell out of me. He always had the ability to find the ball and then find space but then it would happen. Either doubling back into trouble, hesitating after breaking lines and then being run down or simply just a really poor option .

You wouldn't think that watching him now. Plays with purpose and uses it well. The lace out pass to BBB and the daicos roller he put through both just looked rehearsed even though on both occasions required working through traffic.

now, with him at half forward flank, we are able to get the x-factor out of him in that with occasion brilliance, flash and run will result in creative play. in an adapted chinese proverb i would liken atley to the chicken fillings, its not the most tastey but too much of a waste to throw away. If atley leaves via FA, we get low points but he isn't the superstar we all thought he would become. but i would say that he is showing signs of him realizing his potential. Got to remember, a player is only as good as he is coached. His positions in the team is more inspired than ever so that he is able to thrive and put his real assets to use. What's atley's real assets? that is to run and take on the opposition. Dash run carry and cause general mayhem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back