Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

More or less the usual. Some of the unpressured skill errors while running forward absolutely hurt my soul, but the majority of what he did was A-ok. Was surprised at how good his meters gained were in the end, but the stats say he kicked significantly more than usual which would go a long way to explaining that. A good thing too.

Surprised he's copping hate today. He and McKay were our best 1 on 1 defenders and he used his run pretty well.
But that's the thing, mate. He does a lot of things to a decent standard and then undoes it with the most mind-numbingly dumb decisions or awful skill errors resulting in turnovers. I said it about Mahony, it's fine when it comes from the youth, but we can't have it from the leaders and 200+ game players.

I wanted to see what contributed to Curtis Taylor's head knock, 4Q, 13.54 on the clock, Atley receives a free kick for too high, spots Walker on the wing completely on his own, and misses the pass by a conservative 20m, Walker eventually gets the pill back with help from Scotty, and under a bit of pressure hacks a kick forward, poor Curtis was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and got completely poleaxed.

Was real good today.

Agree. Looked like a senior player and I don't mean that facetiously.

Always involved in his sector, defends, rebounds and KEEPS RUNNING HARD all day.

I'm never going to claim Shaun has squeezed his maximum potential out of himself but I wish a few posters had been more involved (or switched on) in the 90s.

As good as we were then we had plenty of blokes doing all kinds of "dumb stuff' in games that Shaun would get chastised on here for, in any given week. We just had a strong unit that turned up most weeks that covered these errors up.

Agree. Looked like a senior player and I don't mean that facetiously.

Always involved in his sector, defends, rebounds and KEEPS RUNNING HARD all day.

I'm never going to claim Shaun has squeezed his maximum potential out of himself but I wish a few posters had been more involved (or switched on) in the 90s.

As good as we were then we had plenty of blokes doing all kinds of "dumb stuff' in games that Shaun would get chastised on here for, in any given week. We just had a strong unit that turned up most weeks that covered these errors up.

I remember the 90s and I simply cannot recall a 200+ gamer who consistently made rookie errors and basically lacked a football brain.

Atley is athletically gifted and has high level football skills. Elite, even, since he has technically superior kick, mark and handball skills. But he is a dumb footballer - he consistently makes poor choices. A fellow poster suggested to me after the game that Shaun spends 100% of his focus on obtaining possession and as a result he has no plan as to what he will do with it. It's a good call.

I've said it before, his best moments are when he has no time to think but just act on instinct. Unfortunately, his main weapon gives him more thinking time than most and that (thinking) is his key weakness.

I remember the 90s and I simply cannot recall a 200+ gamer who consistently made rookie errors and basically lacked a football brain.

* ME, DID YOU WATCH THE OTHER 21 BLOKES ON THE GROUND?!

DO YOU THINK THIS NEW GAME PLAN ISN'T GOING TO COME WITH RUST FOR ALL PLAYERS!

fu** ME, DID YOU WATCH THE OTHER 21 BLOKES ON THE GROUND?!

DO YOU THINK THIS NEW GAME PLAN ISN'T GOING TO COME WITH RUST FOR ALL PLAYERS!

I watched them all, of course. Was disappointed with a handful of players (Tyson, Larkey, Zurhaar mainly - I'll excuse Polec for being rusty and jury is out on Young and Menadue), but am just resigned to the fact that my knock on Atley for the last few years is validated every time he plays. I'm unwilling to let it be justified by learning a new game plan, because he's perfectly suited to the new game plan except for his inability to make good decisions when he has the ball. Not always, but too often.

I watched them all, of course. Was disappointed with a handful of players (Tyson, Larkey, Zurhaar mainly - I'll excuse Polec for being rusty and jury is out on Young and Menadue), but am just resigned to the fact that my knock on Atley for the last few years is validated every time he plays. I'm unwilling to let it be justified by learning a new game plan, because he's perfectly suited to the new game plan except for his inability to make good decisions when he has the ball. Not always, but too often.

His DE% yesterday was ****ing 85% from 20 disposals!

The bloke has a career DE% of almost 80 and averages 1.7 Clangers & 1.5 turnovers a match whilst playing a role which requires him to take risks setting up plays off half back.

I normally have plenty of time for your input mate, but you are just flat out reinforcing your own devised biases on this occasion.

If you're expecting a faultless footballer then you had better find something else to do with your time, because they do not exist.

You're kidding?

Seasoned players missing sitters, turning it over, conceding big leads.

Happen to see Brett Allison rugby tackle himself to the ground on wing in the '99 grand final?

Choppy handball straight to opponents then have to tackle them to make up for it?

Corey McKernan completely swing and miss his taps?

Wayne Carey miss sodas during the biggest game of a year?

The "Shinboner of the Century" or "Mighty Mick" made to look hapless and hopeless against opponents when the midfield wasn't functioning?

It all happened it was just we did so much good the rest of the time it fudged over the silly stuff.

His DE% yesterday was ****ing 85% from 20 disposals!

The bloke has a career DE% of almost 80 and averages 1.7 Clangers & 1.5 turnovers a match whilst playing a role which requires him to take risks setting up plays off half back.

I normally have plenty of time for your input mate, but you are just flat out reinforcing your own devised biases on this occasion.

If you're expecting a faultless footballer then you had better find something else to do with your time, because they do not exist.

Atley is yet another guy like Ziebell, Daw et al that you can imagine a very different career at the "right fit" club.

If Shaun had fallen to the 2010s Hawthorn or recent Richmond teams he'd probably be spoken of as a topline player.

He's in a side that barely presents him with options nor has many peers who can cover their opponents and allow him to wheel off.

You're kidding?

Happen to see Brett Allison rugby tackle himself to the ground on wing in the '99 grand final?

Choppy handball straight to opponents then have to tackle them to make up for it?

The "Shinboner of the Century" or "Mighty Mick" made to look hapless and hopeless against opponents when the midfield wasn't functioning?

It all happened it was just we did so much good the rest of the time it fudged over the silly stuff.

"consistently" was the word I used. It's the distinction I am making. All players make errors, few make the same types of errors pretty much every game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"consistently" was the word I used. It's the distinction I am making. All players make errors, few make the same types of errors pretty much every game.

I don't think his error rate is that bad mate. His issue has been producing football that fulfils ability for any sustained periods. Partly because of coaching/team inadequacy but part sits on his shoulders too.

You're kidding?

I was but a wee lad in the 1990s but my word McKernan did love to run under the ball

I don't think his error rate is that bad mate. His issue has been producing football that fulfils ability for any sustained periods. Partly because of coaching/team inadequacy but part sits on his shoulders too.

Perhaps you're right. I see a bloke making the same mistakes he's been making since his break-out first year. They're not technical, so he should have worked them out of his game.

I reckon it's the nature of the errors more so than their number, mate. Like that one where he was kicking to the wing and missed the target by miles and there was also a basic uncontested 15 meter kick that he kicked 5 meters over the guys head. They're just ******* baffling from someone of his experience, and because of the position he plays and how bad they are when they do happen, they generally result in opposition shots at goal because of how out of position we are.

I've said a few times since yesterday that I don't mind when they come from young guys because there's a clear expectation that they'll improve, but Atley just hasn't. His peak was probably 2012. Surely it's fair to demand better of an experienced player in an inexperienced team when he needs to be setting an example.

I reckon it's the nature of the errors more so than their number, mate. Like that one where he was kicking to the wing and missed the target by miles and there was also a basic uncontested 15 meter kick that he kicked 5 meters over the guys head. They're just ******* baffling from someone of his experience, and because of the position he plays and how bad they are when they do happen, they generally result in opposition shots at goal because of how out of position we are.

I've said a few times since yesterday that I don't mind when they come from young guys because there's a clear expectation that they'll improve, but Atley just hasn't. His peak was probably 2012. Surely it's fair to demand better of an experienced player in an inexperienced team when he needs to be setting an example.

No argument he ****s up but I think it's magnified by the low number of teammates who can run to make up for it.

Bachar Houli screws up a kick to the wing and he knows there'll be 5 teammates tearing into whichever opponent grabbed the turnover.

Atley does it and the opposition are off to the races.

Atley is yet another guy like Ziebell, Daw et al that you can imagine a very different career at the "right fit" club.

If Shaun had fallen to the 2010s Hawthorn or recent Richmond teams he'd probably be spoken of as a topline player.

He's in a side that barely presents him with options nor has many peers who can cover their opponents and allow him to wheel off.
I could imagine someone like Buddy licking his lips playing with Atley.
As soon as Atley takes off, Buddy would be on the lead demanding the ball.
It would literally be a rinse repeat. Atley wouldn’t have to think and Buddy would be kicking a bundle.

Dunno what happened to him. The confident kid in 2013 that would see a bloke standing in his way and would just burn past them without any hesitation, somehow became the indecisive guy who's stock in trade is stop, prop, kick it sideways, slow it all down.

It's no wonder the ball movement out of our backline has been horrendous for a decade. Our forward line being one of the most congested is a by-product of what goes on down the other end, but with a little more decisiveness from our defenders, it might just open it up for Larkey, etc to get some space to lead into. More space = less time for the opposition to structure up = less bomb it on your head entries.

This stop, start sideways s**t is for the tip and sadly Ats is your prime example of that.

Anyone else think this rule where players have to stand on the mark without moving is made for someone like Atley to take full advantage of..
Yep. He had the ball 70 out from goal and I was imploring him to take the man on the mark on and pump it in long.
He butchered it. Just not a smart footballer and an average user.

Yep. He had the ball 70 out from goal and I was imploring him to take the man on the mark on and pump it in long.
He butchered it. Just not a smart footballer and an average user.
I can’t believe people here still have hopes for this pretend poor excuse of a footballer ... I counted 6 times where he grabs the ball , legs go 100 miles an hour (going no where) , stops , props goes slight to the left , goes slight to the right , retreats ... by then he has 3-4 opposition players onto him ,, puts that “stupid” (can’t stand anymore) “deer in the headlights “ look ,, & proceeds with kicking a mongrel up & under helicopter high to a contest on the wing at best or straight to an opposing player who marks ... (Turnover) & we concede a goal....
200 plus gamer playing like a first gamer ...
im hoping Noble can see what other coaches have failed to see with this imposter called a footballer .

Atley summarizes our failure of a club to turn a superstar to his potential. At hawthorn, richmond, this dude would be possible brownlow material but at north, a servicable backman. For all his criticism, we failed him as we failed to put him in a position where his asset would be fully put to use.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back