Past #18: Shaun Atley - delisted end '21 - 237 NM games / 44 NM goals - thanks Ats

Remove this Banner Ad

Easily still in our best 22, easily.
After reading that comment thought today December 28 not April 1.
Atley has gone from the best 22 to borderline 25th to 28th best player will be depth should have traded 3 years ago as his cooked and finished at AFL level.
Hopefully he will help the kids in VFL will only play AFL if we get a massive run of injuries and if his lucky might get a farewell game late in 2021.
Plus Hayden and Perez need games at AFL level not Atley.

I don't see where anyone said he was a better footballer than Bennell, though?

The comparisons from draft years I think are pretty clearly about careers. There's plenty of blokes on that list who theoretically should have had better careers than Shaun but who did not, for a variety of reasons.

The guy works hard, plays a team based role, and occasionally shows glimpses that break a game apart. We'd love to see those glimpses more often but all in all I think he's deserved his 200+ game career more than blokes who couldn't keep their head screwed on despite all the talent in the world.
Theoretically, many think Shaun should have had a better career than he’s had!

But I agree with you. I think he’s solid and a good contributor. Gets more thrown at him on here than he deserves.
I look forward to seeing him bounce back with a new coach and solid contributors around him.

I thought he actually pulled his weight out there today, played like he knows he's subject to being shuffled out of the team on any given week with how up in the air the best 22 is.

Whatever he's been told to do differently this time around it's working well.

He hasn't been told anything.

He just did what he's done for 214 games.

I only wish we had 16 others who are just as reliable.

He usually is. Not the best, not the worst, but reliably consistent and with an elite attribute (even if he doesn't use it as often, and in a manner, as we would like to see).

A reflection of how crap we've been for a decade if people think Atley is the future.

It's like some have been conditioned to ordinary being ok. Worst 200 game player we've ever had imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's that thing about the definition of insanity?

Don't over think it. We cleaned out a massive amount last year and we kept Shaun and several other players because he stays fit and is solid enough. Expecting him to be something he's not will lead to insanity. We can't turn over a whole list in 1 off season.

Perez does his second ACL in a year where he should be pushing this bloke out of the side.

Footy is ******* cruel isnt it
I hope Atley doesnt get to 300 games. Not because it wont be an effort to get there but because if he does we will still be s**t in 4 years time.

Was real good today.
Seems some didn't think so.

In my opinion, when there is no movement upfield a running player who can break the lines can look a bit stupid. He cuts a move, looks up and sees his team mates dropping back 60 or 70M and letting thier opponents get in front. He hesitates and goes to a second option and bang. Gets sh*t-canned.

If Shevo can provide a link for him, these two might become really dynamic. Early today there were some signs that the team have been practising fast ball movement, overlaps and spread. That ended when they were pretty much shut down by Port's experience and change of gamestyle but there were good signs. We need finishers up forward though.

Surprised he's copping hate today. He and McKay were our best 1 on 1 defenders and he used his run pretty well.

There's a variety of reasons that people lose all sanity when it comes to him and they have all been well covered.

Meanwhile his 3rd coach has his name etched in for next week already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back