Past #19: Josh Walker - drafted #23 '11 RD (GFC) - traded to BLFC end '15 - signed by NM as DFA end '19 - 54 NM gms/6 NM gls

Remove this Banner Ad

So do I, but it would be a fourth club. They can't all be wrong.
Brisbane targeted Josh as a needed key forward as he had a few 5 goal games against them . Thepeople who use this three club thing to denigrate Walker are ignorant of what actually happened

I love Jed, but if we rookie one player for me it should be Walker.

If everything goes up the sh!t with injuries then he’s a serviceable player to come in.

If everything goes right and he plays a full season at CHB in the VFL then the development of our kids will be better for it.

Why? He's a serviceable player who gives 100% every time. The bloke got his teeth knocked out in the line of duty for our club.

100% on Walker, but he got his teeth knocked out cause he didn’t wear a mouth guard. Astounding that anyone playing AFL doesn’t wear a mouth guard, it’s not like this is a game of competitive lawn bowls!

100% on Walker, but he got his teeth knocked out cause he didn’t wear a mouth guard. Astounding that anyone playing AFL doesn’t wear a mouth guard, it’s not like this is a game of competitive lawn bowls!
Speaking as a dentist here I bet that Josh gags badly on a mouthguard.

Everyone gags as if you didn't at all you would inhale all the fluid in your mouth and throat as you are born and life would be short. Like my nose sticks out further than most people some people gag on anything(apart from food) that gets past their front teeth.

I used to umpire cricket matches and would nag keepers standing up to the stumps to wear the face guards. Without going into the issue a mouth guard would be useful but in some cases it would be like jumping out of an aircraft at 30,000 feet without a parachute but putting on a helmet!!

My nagging never worked but then I started to hand out business cards and going on about how much dental work I could score from their injuries.

This worked and I know of three keepers who came to me in later games and said they had started to wear the face guards at training and in matches.

It's not the message. It's the messaging.

Speaking as a dentist here I bet that Josh gags badly on a mouthguard.

Everyone gags as if you didn't at all you would inhale all the fluid in your mouth and throat as you are born and life would be short. Like my nose sticks out further than most people some people gag on anything(apart from food) that gets past their front teeth.

I used to umpire cricket matches and would nag keepers standing up to the stumps to wear the face guards. Without going into the issue a mouth guard would be useful but in some cases it would be like jumping out of an aircraft at 30,000 feet without a parachute but putting on a helmet!!

My nagging never worked but then I started to hand out business cards and going on about how much dental work I could score from their injuries.

This worked and I know of three keepers who came to me in later games and said they had started to wear the face guards at training and in matches.

It's not the message. It's the messaging.
Surely, it's annoying at first but the benefits outweigh getting used to the experience of wearing one, but like you said it's in the messaging.

I suspect Josh wishes he wore one in hindsight. Funnily, back when I played most of the team didn't wear mouthguards, would have saved me that many times I wouldn't have enough fingers on my hands to count.

Was in martial arts before footy though, so I guess I got used to having one early.

We have absolutely no key position depth so we could do much worse than rookie-listing Walker.

I get that he's probably not good enough and we should be looking to move past him, but we're not really in the position to do so atm. Logue or McKay go down and we're just as ****ed as we were last year.

12 months on the rookie list, allowing us a solid safety net and the opportunity to once again build our KPD stocks next season is prudent list management IMO, especially with the expanded rookie list.

We have absolutely no key position depth so we could do much worse than rookie-listing Walker.

I get that he's probably not good enough and we should be looking to move past him, but we're not really in the position to do so atm. Logue or McKay go down and we're just as cactus as we were last year.

12 months on the rookie list, allowing us a solid safety net and the opportunity to once again build our KPD stocks next season is prudent list management IMO, especially with the expanded rookie list.
I feel that Josh could be important as the defence depth if he was put on the rookie list - he has proven lock down ability, but with some stronger options in the team he could also be the number 3 defender as opposed to being number one.

I can also see a case for Jed being rookied but agree with others that he might prefer to move back to Darwin and if so, all the best to him.

I am less convinced that North would rookie Turner but if Jed leaves it is a possibility.

I love Jed, but if we rookie one player for me it should be Walker.

If everything goes up the sh!t with injuries then he’s a serviceable player to come in.

If everything goes right and he plays a full season at CHB in the VFL then the development of our kids will be better for it.
100% agree with this 👍

I get that he's probably not good enough and we should be looking to move past him, but we're not really in the position to do so atm. Logue or McKay go down and we're just as cactus as we were last year.

I’d say we have Corr , Dawson & Bonar as KPD depth if needed. I like Walker for what he’s done at North but I see it as step backwards if we keep him on the list now .
I remember Walker being a bit of a swingman when he was at the Cats & Lions . Someone that could also play forward & snag a few goals . He did do that in the first couple of years with us too. But in recent times when we tried him there due to severe necessity, he looked terrible. Almost like he had NFI what he was doing.
So due to this , I reckon delisting him is a good call . Try to recruit a young key defender this draft to work with our Pick 23 or early 40’s pick .

I’d say we have Corr , Dawson & Bonar as KPD depth if needed. I like Walker for what he’s done at North but I see it as step backwards if we keep him on the list now .
I remember Walker being a bit of a swingman when he was at the Cats & Lions . Someone that could also play forward & snag a few goals . He did do that in the first couple of years with us too. But in recent times when we tried him there due to severe necessity, he looked terrible. Almost like he had NFI what he was doing.
So due to this , I reckon delisting him is a good call . Try to recruit a young key defender this draft to work with our Pick 23 or early 40’s pick .
none of those guys are capable of at least competing with the really big forwards. They're all 2nd or 3rd tall types.

Surely not walker. That’s regression.

So far off it as a key defender. Game has moved past him. He tried against all odds to be fair, but looked way out of his depth. So many opposition ‘highlights’ seemed to have walker involved somehow.

Wish him well, but would be amazed if he plays afl next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really liked him in 2020 but then 2021 and 22 happened resulting in closing my eyes every time he had to kick anywhere other than long down-the-line.

Got every bit out of himself and kind of reminds me of Pederson but a worse kick and less mobile.

Should have been rookied for depth instead of Turner. Was UnLucky to be dropped last year when he was made the scapegoat vs Geelong even when the previous 6 games he had averaged only 1 goal against him. Wish him all the best

Remove this Banner Ad

Back