Past Liam Sumner

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't show much but seemed to have neat skills and a tiny bit of intensity for a short moment, if he was fit enough he might have had a chance, ball still seems to be in his court.

Hope not.

Never had a great run with injury, not much of an athlete too.

All the best, Liam.

Made up nearly 5 metres in the space of 30 there. You've been shooting from the hip a bit lately! :p

I think if he can put in a better pre-season, there's a rookie spot there for the taking. Hope he finds it within himself because he's a very talented forward waiting to happen.

Made up nearly 5 metres in the space of 30 there. You've been shooting from the hip a bit lately! :p

I think if he can put in a better pre-season, there's a rookie spot there for the taking. Hope he finds it within himself because he's a very talented forward waiting to happen.

I've got an URTI so I've been a bit dogmatic in my posts lately.

But we (on the Carlton board) can always rely on Jimmae to clarify our errors. ;)

Liam is pretty quick, no doubt. I don't know much about his endurance, he's still quite chunky at 24.

I've got an URTI so I've been a bit dogmatic in my posts lately.

But we (on the Carlton board) can always rely on Jimmae to clarify our errors. ;)

Liam is pretty quick, no doubt. I don't know much about his endurance, he's still quite chunky at 24.
He has, but remember he had a modified pre-season in 2016, and an interrupted one this year, before succumbing to a hamstring issue, followed by an adductor issue.

His form looked alright before the adductor complaint, and he pretty much faded from there. I don't blame him for a bit of pudge given the kinds of injuries that he's had, but he's got to eat and train smarter from here on out if he wants to get himself back into AFL contention.

Unfortunately fitness will always be poor as he has chronic ankle problems which will always hamper his ability to get AFL standard.
If this is true its important information that people should consider before judgments are made.
Shame he could not make it at cfc. I thought he really had something good.

That handball from that number 9 kid :heart:

When Boekhorst took off on his rundown chase and tackle, you can see Sumner setting off from the other side of the square. He arrived at the spot where boekkie tackled a couple of seconds later.

I know it's a long shot now but I still think he can be a regular fixture going forward - if he decides to put in the work this off season and has luck with injuries.

I was lucky enough to have a good chat to Liam at the B&F. I was there with my son and Liam was very generous with his time.

He said he was really happy to be back in Melbourne amongst family & friends; it seemed really important to him.

He said he was looking forward to a full preseason as he didn't have one last year and as such he felt he was about 80% of the fitness required.
Ye he has plenty of ability and a genuine sort of man.
Problem is get him to 80 plus percent fitness and they begin to breakdown,the curse of sports.
He had several injury issues this year and would imagine he would always have issues going forward.....he may get a couple years as rookie if he can stay trouble free but we may have moved on by then anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has it ever worked delisting a player only to then pick them up again as rookie? I can't think of one player that has followed this path and turned out any good.

Has it ever worked delisting a player only to then pick them up again as rookie? I can't think of one player that has followed this path and turned out any good.

Heath Scotland

I guess Andrew Carrazzo was a similar situation to Alex Silvagni, was at another club, got delisted and we rookie listed him.
Well I was thinking of players that stayed at the same club, but point taken. There may be hope for Sumner yet.

A rookie spot may give him the required kick up the A - doubt it though, have heard his head is swollen. I'll give him a second chance if the club see fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back