Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor guy has had the worst possible run.

Seriously im thinking Jacobs wont play again. Just not improving.

really feeling disappointed for slamming sammy wright, cant help but think he's playing days are over. :-(

Fishy has become a lot more important player all of a sudden.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever it is I'm certainly not writing him off just yet. As the report stated a stress reaction has shown up so they'll be taking a more cautious path henceforth, gradually increasing the loading. He's an important player and he's had a shitty run with his body's trevails. He may never play 20+ games in a season again but instead play 15ish (plus finals eventually I bloody hope). In the interim a kid or two will gain some experience at the level and our depth will be improved.

Get well Sammy!

Whatever it is I'm certainly not writing him off just yet. As the report stated a stress reaction has shown up so they'll be taking a more cautious path henceforth, gradually increasing the loading. He's an important player and he's had a shitty run with his body's trevails. He may never play 20+ games in a season again but instead play 15ish (plus finals eventually I bloody hope). In the interim a kid or two will gain some experience at the level and our depth will be improved.

Get well Sammy!
Yep - we have got to stand by him and give him every possible chance. Important to do that as a club, in my view.

Ankles are such a tricky thing with the whole mechanism and loading.

I had a hairline fracture from playing footy early days when I was 17. Creaks and cracks every time I rotate it, and puts added stress down the opposite side of my foot causing my calf to play up. All from a hairline fracture,

You can imagine that there's a fair bit of referred injury occurring here

How does an ankle cost you over a season ffs...

Is it stress fractures that wont heal, mismanagement or both?

Sounds like a bit of both to me...

A body is not a piece of machinery. I don't see that there has to be mismanagement any time it doesn't respond as hoped.

Damn shame for North and Sam, though, Nick Bowen on the money there.

Ankles are such a tricky thing with the whole mechanism and loading.

I had a hairline fracture from playing footy early days when I was 17. Creaks and cracks every time I rotate it, and puts added stress down the opposite side of my foot causing my calf to play up. All from a hairline fracture,

You can imagine that there's a fair bit of referred injury occurring here
As my podiatrist would say, the feet are like the foundations of the building. If there's something wrong with the foundations, it affects the whole building.

A body is not a piece of machinery. I don't see that there has to be mismanagement any time it doesn't respond as hoped.

Damn shame for North and Sam, though, Nick Bowen on the money there.

I agree, but i cant say ive heard of too many leg injuries(except stress fractures) that take longer than 12 months to heal. When i say mismanagement, i mean could there have been a better way in hindsight to treat said injury? Should we play the long game more often with surgery straight up instead of trying to manage injuries and have them recur? How many times do our injuries start at 2-3 weeks and then stay there? How many times do they start at 7-8 weeks and then stall at the 2-3 week mark?

Meh. Probably clutching at straws lol

I agree, but i cant say ive heard of too many leg injuries(except stress fractures) that take longer than 12 months to heal. When i say mismanagement, i mean could there have been a better way in hindsight to treat said injury? Should we play the long game more often with surgery straight up instead of trying to manage injuries and have them recur? How many times do our injuries start at 2-3 weeks and then stay there? How many times do they start at 7-8 weeks and then stall at the 2-3 week mark?

Meh. Probably clutching at straws lol
Kieran Harpers ankles cost him a career. Its a complex joint that takes a massive load and once they go they can be difficult to manage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back