Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

For some reason, after watching that Wright/Jacobs video, I felt that both will be retired by year's end. Hope to be proven wrong.

I get your meaning, these two are surplus to our needs, jacob is not part of the future, this lock down type is not superseded by a team effort so it's no longer a one man job. Wright is competing with EVW and only due to his injury prone nature is wright not completely out of the picture. Wright is turning 28 in 2018, EVW 20 so time in not in the wright hand.

I get your meaning, these two are surplus to our needs, jacob is not part of the future, this lock down type is not superseded by a team effort so it's no longer a one man job. Wright is competing with EVW and only due to his injury prone nature is wright not completely out of the picture. Wright is turning 28 in 2018, EVW 20 so time in not in the wright hand.

You forgot to tell us about how you hit your thumb with your hammer in Yr 8 and how that extrapolates to the end of an Afl career.

When I was 7 years old I took a screamer over the tallest kid in the class, crashed the side of my head on the top of his head on the way down and from there on my otherwise glittering career spiralled downwards.
Those back to back premierships would have saved the 'roys Horace

Once slammed my thumb in the door of dads Kingswood HQ Wagon. Meant I could only hitch hike, in one direction!

It was cold and rainy one day in under 12's and therefore I wasn't really "into it". What could have been if not for that one rainy day...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wright returns
Marc McGowan

6 February 2018 2:08 PM

Hard-luck defender Sam Wright has entered the next stage of his recovery from persistent foot and ankle problems, rejoining the main training group at North Melbourne.

The 116-gamer last played an AFL match in round 11, 2016 and had repeated setbacks that restricted him to three VFL appearances last year.

Wright underwent five ankle operations, but it was the foot issue which ruined his 2017 campaign and saw him turn to the Australian Ballet's principal physiotherapist, Sue Mayes, this pre-season.

Mayes has taught foot-strengthening exercises and technique to several Roos, including Wright and Ben Jacobs, who has also rejoined main training after missing all of last season.

North has been patient with the 27-year-old, who is entering the third and final year of his latest contract and remains an important member when he is fit.

Meanwhile, high-flying forward Taylor Garner, fresh from a career-high 18 games last year, continues to complete an abbreviated program.

Garner, 24, is one of the Kangas' most exciting prospects, but has a history of hamstring and knee injuries and his program reflects that.

He was held out of the club's AFLX trial games in mid-January, as well as time-trial running and match simulation late last year, and has often trained inside Arden St's headquarters instead.

Garner is viewed as someone capable of one day graduating into a midfield role, but his limited pre-season may postpone that move.

The Roos have taken a similar off-season approach with Kayne Turner, another who had a career-best 2017.

Wright returns
Marc McGowan

6 February 2018 2:08 PM

Hard-luck defender Sam Wright has entered the next stage of his recovery from persistent foot and ankle problems, rejoining the main training group at North Melbourne.

The 116-gamer last played an AFL match in round 11, 2016 and had repeated setbacks that restricted him to three VFL appearances last year.

Wright underwent five ankle operations, but it was the foot issue which ruined his 2017 campaign and saw him turn to the Australian Ballet's principal physiotherapist, Sue Mayes, this pre-season.

Mayes has taught foot-strengthening exercises and technique to several Roos, including Wright and Ben Jacobs, who has also rejoined main training after missing all of last season.

North has been patient with the 27-year-old, who is entering the third and final year of his latest contract and remains an important member when he is fit.

Meanwhile, high-flying forward Taylor Garner, fresh from a career-high 18 games last year, continues to complete an abbreviated program.

Garner, 24, is one of the Kangas' most exciting prospects, but has a history of hamstring and knee injuries and his program reflects that.

He was held out of the club's AFLX trial games in mid-January, as well as time-trial running and match simulation late last year, and has often trained inside Arden St's headquarters instead.

Garner is viewed as someone capable of one day graduating into a midfield role, but his limited pre-season may postpone that move.

The Roos have taken a similar off-season approach with Kayne Turner, another who had a career-best 2017.
I do hope that Sam W. has a much better season, and gets some game time . Will be good to see him back

Once back to full fitness I’d love to see him occasionally rotated through the half forward line. He was so reliable in front of goal early in his career.

Overall our team would fair very well defensively with a fit Wright, Jacobs and Williams. That’s an extra 20 odd tackles a game.

Agree 100%. He's very important.

His reliable left foot in high pressure contests is what allowed Wright to hit up a target without trying to weave his way through onto his superior right. It could be the difference in close contests with only a couple of minutes left on the clock. Or even in the dying seconds.

I remember that time he played on after injuring his leg against the Dogs in R06, 2016. There was one play when Firrito shanked the kick dangerously into the middle just outside our 50 and the Dogs surrounded the loose ball in a heartbeat to counter.. but out of nowhere, Wright ran in and kept the ball secure, placing more stress on his leg and risking further injury.

Dedication.

I'm really impressed with how conservative North are with regards to their management of injured players, or those with question marks with their rehab time. To hear Garner and Turner have been working indoors, obviously isn't ideal - but knowing they would be following some pretty stringent rehab protocols is really reassuring for their longevity within the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back