$190m Rectangular Stadium for Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Working on the project. No chance it will be upgraded to 40,000 anytime soon.
31,000 is more than big enough for the Melbourne Victory with crowds dropping back down to 20-24k mark after the initial hype of the start of A-league.
31k is too big for the Melbourne Storm. Will be half empty every week.

You can't be sure of that. League is very new to Victoria whereas soccer or football has been around Victoria since immigration began.

Have you forgotten Storm attracted well over 20,000 at the Dome for their 1st game against the Warriors this year, and over 33,000 for their Preliminary Final against Parramatta in 2007.

Olympic Park is a hole of a place and keeps many people away, I would imagine our crowds will keep growing when we get to the new stadium.

You can't be sure of that. League is very new to Victoria whereas soccer or football has been around Victoria since immigration began.

Have you forgotten Storm attracted well over 20,000 at the Dome for their 1st game against the Warriors this year, and over 33,000 for their Preliminary Final against Parramatta in 2007.

Olympic Park is a hole of a place and keeps many people away, I would imagine our crowds will keep growing when we get to the new stadium.

20,000 will probably be the highest the Storm will attract during the regular season.

League in Melbourne's attendance has stayed very much stagnate over the past 10 years so its not going to double over night now that there is a new stadium.

Isn't the world cup requirement for 10 (or some number close to that) rectangular stadiums with capacities over 50K? We currently have 1 in Brisbane and IIRC the Sydney SFS is about 40K odd.

Isn't the world cup requirement for 10 (or some number close to that) rectangular stadiums with capacities over 50K? We currently have 1 in Brisbane and IIRC the Sydney SFS is about 40K odd.

Pretty sure they're allowed to be 40k.

Melbourne Storms first game of the season last year drew just a little over 20,000. I cant see the storm filling the bubble but at least the 12,000 that are there most home matches will have a new place to watch the sport.
The Victory on the other hand, two things can happen. The Bubble opens and the crowds stay the same of 24,000 adverage. Or people start coming to the stadium and fall in love with it cause mind you the atmosphere will be 10 times louder and the crowds jump back up due to the fact your ontop of the pitch.
Walk Up is going to be hard for the Victory games. 17,000 Members thats more than half the stadium gone. You never know win another championship that number might rise who knows. Another good thing, this ground is going to look great on TV. There shouldnt be an empty seat on level 1! Bring on this time next season. Plus the Goverment have hit out and said they want a Football match played there to kick off the stadium so we'll have to see what happens.

I was wondering why the Victory would want to move to the new stadium when they were at the Dome.... until I saw the way Telstra Dome treated them with the awful pitch they prepared the other week.

Hopefully the stadium will always be able to accommodate all the fans and we don't get a situation of regular lockouts in the future because the stadium is too small.

FIFA only allows you to use two stadiums from the same city in the World Cup (?), therefore, upgrade the Rectangular stadium to 40k, scrap the TD and use the MCG.

Thats the plans anyway, I think.

FIFA would probably change that rule if it meant more money. I heard the rule was one stadium per city except for one city which is allowed two.

I know this is going to be the Melbourne Victories home ground but i thought i might ask some questions about the venue.

1. What will the stadium deal be like (will the Victory be completely ripped off like AFL teams are at the Telstra Dome)?
2. What sort of crowds will the Victory need to make a profit?

I was wondering why the Victory would want to move to the new stadium when they were at the Dome.... until I saw the way Telstra Dome treated them with the awful pitch they prepared the other week.

Hopefully the stadium will always be able to accommodate all the fans and we don't get a situation of regular lockouts in the future because the stadium is too small.

The Dome is a terrible ground for sports like league/union/soccer where a rectangular ground is required.. Its an oval shaped ground suitable only for afl IMO.

I think the Victory might have an option to play at the Dome if bigger crowds are expected, e.g. Sydney...maybe someone can confirm this.

I can't wait for the new stadium to be opened as Olympic park is a real hole and so outdated, but holds some wonderful memories for me being a Storm supporter.

I know this is going to be the Melbourne Victories home ground but i thought i might ask some questions about the venue.

1. What will the stadium deal be like (will the Victory be completely ripped off like AFL teams are at the Telstra Dome)?
2. What sort of crowds will the Victory need to make a profit?

At the dome now the Victory only need 14,000 to brake even. I would think it would be much the same at Bubble as the Victory wouldnt move across to the new stadium if it wasnt better or around the same.

The deal sees the Victory able to play any 6 games at the Dome in the season at there wish of being able to switch the game across town at anytime. All Finals matches are to be played at Telstra Dome and all Group stages of the ACL (if melbourne make it) are played at the Bubble and knock out rounds at the Dome. In other words, games where a crowd of 30,000+ is expected eg Melb v Syd, Melb v Adel the game shall be at the dome.

At the dome now the Victory only need 14,000 to brake even. I would think it would be much the same at Bubble as the Victory wouldnt move across to the new stadium if it wasnt better or around the same.

The deal sees the Victory able to play any 6 games at the Dome in the season at there wish of being able to switch the game across town at anytime. All Finals matches are to be played at Telstra Dome and all Group stages of the ACL (if melbourne make it) are played at the Bubble and knock out rounds at the Dome. In other words, games where a crowd of 30,000+ is expected eg Melb v Syd, Melb v Adel the game shall be at the dome.

The Victory are very lucky in that they don't clash with the nrl or afl season so they can command a good deal....and good on them.
No wonder some of the afl clubs are unhappy with their deals at the dome.

Going to be interesting to see how Victory and Storm compare when it comes to deals, signage and gate prices, etc. when the new stadium is ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond pubs > Plastic Docklands pubs.

Although i will miss the GW.

Cant wait.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back