Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

That is sad. An enduring and great song.
To add to the fund of information out there on the net, an interview about the song.
I was surprised that Alan Parsons was the producer. I'm a fan of his even though some people think that is a really daggy thing.

And very surprisingly it only ever reached 15 on the 3XY chart in Melbs.

That is sad. An enduring and great song.
To add to the fund of information out there on the net, an interview about the song.
I was surprised that Alan Parsons was the producer. I'm a fan of his even though some people think that is a really daggy thing.

And very surprisingly it only ever reached 15 on the 3XY chart in Melbs.

It was Number One for a while there with a group of friends who loved a boozy sing along.

THE MUSIC BIZ Files:
"Buying up rights to a proven hit, dusting it off and dressing it up as a movie may impress at a shareholder conference, but it does little to add to a sustainable and vibrant music ecosystem. Like farmers struggling to make it through the winter — to think of another industry upended by private equity — we are eating our artistic seed corn."

Great post Pamcake1. The situation in the film industry is similar, with major studios preferring, by and large, to regurgitate comic book hero narratives, re-boot old ideas or make films that are video game spin offs.

Poor Things, Anatomy of a Fall, Killers of the Flower Moon and Oppenheimer were well received, in part, because they broke the mould.

Here are the box office numbers for 2023.

All of which just reinforces my long held view that indie cinema, indie music and indie people are the ways to go.

Last edited:
Nice ophidian reference in the post there 3KZ is Football SS is and always has been a smart woman.

Going with my thematic flow:

Straw Houses.
Straw Men
Straw Dogs
The last straw
Drawing the short straw
Grasping at straws
There's a straw for every camel

328742_302673106422161_434492141_o.jpg
Photo taken in 2012 at Soissons in the Gers, France of the village square in the week of the Havest Festival (that is what it says in straw btw)The fete is after the harvest in an area that grows mainly Colza (rape seed) tourne a sol (sunflowers again for oil) and blaye (wheat) the harvest when it starts goes all night and day till it's done.
This village in the photo is maybe 18kms from my friends farm 'Le Hajat' and one of the markets shopped at (Tuesdays) held here.
During summer each village has a harvest festival with a night of the whole village eating together.
Always it is a lamb on a spit accompanied by a traditional bean dish (harricot blanc in a sauce des tomate).
The local village is the Commune of Lasseube Prope (translation; 'clean grass' but it actually means that the area is cleared of the ruling classes) but the local fete is held at Durban.
Going to this fete was an eye opener to rural life in 'France Profund'.
The faces, that you would see that illustrate tourist brochures on 'rustic life of the South West' come to life, animated with the local Patois (rural language of the Gers) which is dying out, the songs and jokes.
It was essential that my friends went, as they do farm (my friend Caroline who has a doctorate in Anthropology retrained as you cannot own a proper farm without having the qualification that is similar to a 2 year Diploma) and you are obligated to be part and contribute to the community life.
I was just a very privileged 'tourist' along for the ride trusted to keep my mouth shut and not be a fool as French farmers are scathingly judgemental. I mostly did not understand a thing said, as even when speaking French and not Patois the accent was very unique but I was the 'Australienne' and they were happy to know that I wasn't a stupid city person and not English.
They despise the superior English attitude and the summer invasion of English tourists who rudely get in the way of life, to the point where if asked by a tourist where is such and such, they will direct them in the opposite direction.
There are a lot of English that own places around the traps, including Andy Cato who breeds Percerons, the French equivelent of Clydesdales, who is 1/2 a km down the road. Imagine my suprise to meet Mr Groove Armada one day, when Caro said she had to go there to give him some advice on his horses (her speciality). He was nice but very cooly reserved, as he doesn't like anyone who speaks English knowing about his bolt hole that might possibly spill the beans to the press.
I got the message but Caro was confused by his attitude that day, it took some explaining to her what I implicitly understood and she said PHttt...he doesn't know my Pammy and she lost a little bit of respect at how uncool he was by being so cool calling him a stupid Anglais.

Last edited:
Also saw this on my FB feed and thought you might like it:

"House of the Cretan Woman" (Bayt al-Kritliyya) in Cairo, Egypt, built in 1631 CE, and was named so after it came to possession of a wealthy woman from Crete.
In 1935, Major Gayer-Anderson, a retired collector and self-described Orientalist, was granted permission to reside in the house.
Gayer-Anderson oversaw the installation of electricity and plumbing, and the restoration of fountains, pavements, and other parts of the interior of the home. He populated the building with his personal collection of art, furnishings, and carpets, and he built a sailing boat he used to collect these antiques from all over Egypt, it was docked on the Nile not far from the house.
In 1942, Gayer-Anderson was forced by ill health to leave Egypt, and he gave the contents of the house to the Egyptian government. King Farouk granted him the title of Pasha. Gayer-Anderson died in England in 1945, and is buried in Lavenham, Suffolk.
The house was turned into a museum, known as the Gayer-Anderson Museum and is noted for being one of the best-preserved examples of 17th Century CE, domestic architecture left in Cairo.
432762750_889323956537856_4118074976401379552_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cretans have a reputation for being unique among the peoples of Greece. They are fiercely independent and love a good ‘blood feud’. During World War 2, when the Luftwaffe were dropping invading German Paratroopers onto the island, there were accounts of civilian women attacking them with pitchforks and men retrieving antique firearms in defence of the island.

This is one of my all time favourite photographs. It shows two brothers and a comrade, who are members of the Cretan resistance to fascist occupation. All three are handsome, proud and exemplify the Cretan spirit.

1710889697633.jpeg

Last edited:
Covers;

"Setting You Free by Mick Harvey, taken from the first solo album in over 10 years, Five Ways to Say Goodbye. The new 12-track collection, out on 10th May, will include original compositions alongside tracks written by artists as varied as Ed Kuepper (co-founder of The Saints), Fatal Shore (Phil Shoenfelt and Bruno Adams), David McComb (The Triffids / Blackeyed Susans), Lo Carmen and Lee Hazelwood"
The press release blurb for the sneak peak below:

Last edited:
This topic is of Booming interest. (now edited 3KZ is Football )
I was going to use the word play of boom, booming, boomtime and Boomers but the word and usage of 'Boomers' is a concept is "divide et impera" and the recognition of that needs to be acknowledged...I don't want to go there and use that concept of division and I do not support it....so Boom there goes that smartypants construct.

I've been following this for years as has the NYTimes more recently.

The scientific investigation of psychoactive drugs. Is it possible to quantify on a scientific basis? I very much doubt it as it is inherently flawed to be 'explained' by it as science requires the empirical, quantifiable and literal provability.

The scientific and medicinal evaluation so it can be used by the pharmaceutical industry as a new product.

The history of usage in the 1950-60's of both the alternative cohort and the military industrial complex and it's subsequent banning.

The desire by the alternative cohort of the mid last century era to have access now that they are 'in charge' and have some sway.

The proven use in various studies including end of life, depression, war injuries and other sectors of the mental health arena.

I have never gone there.....it's a personal choice.
Because I saw a lot of people tripping out as a youngster, I didn't understand it and some of the affects I saw made me very wary.
Because I have a cousin who is 10 years older than I am who fully embraced the life style and frankly went down an avenue too far and has been trying to find his way back to wherever others think he should be. Whether he is actually in the 'right' place and whether he would have gone down that avenue anyway sooner or later or just a little way and turned back, I can't tell.
Because I'm a refusnik.
Because I was too busy doing and thinking up stuff that I wanted to do and not into that kind of tourism.

I am interested in the map, the chart, the orienteering.
I am interested in the sociology of the phenonema, the writing up of it and what I know of actual current usage.
I am interested to point out there are more than a few flaws in this article, as I can see the seams of agendas here.
A major one is of the Methodist person being held in high esteem......uh oh.

"Dr. Griffiths acted like a “spiritual leader,” the complaint said, infusing the research with religious symbolism and steering volunteers toward the outcome he wanted. And he allowed some of his longstanding donors — supporters of drug legalization — to assist in studies, raising ethical questions.
“These are serious allegations that need to be investigated,” said Joanna Kempner, a medical sociologist at Rutgers University who reviewed the complaint for The New York Times. The clashes at Hopkins, she added, mirror a broader debate in the field over “blurring the lines between empirical research and spiritual practice.” " quote from below article

Last edited:
Covers;

"Setting You Free by Mick Harvey, taken from the first solo album in over 10 years, Five Ways to Say Goodbye. The new 12-track collection, out on 10th May, will include original compositions alongside tracks written by artists as varied as Ed Kuepper (co-founder of The Saints), Fatal Shore (Phil Shoenfelt and Bruno Adams), David McComb (The Triffids / Blackeyed Susans), Lo Carmen and Lee Hazelwood"
The press release blurb for the sneak peak below:

Looking forward to this release.

This came out in September of last year and I really like it.
1711071894234.jpeg

This topic is of Booming interest. (now edited 3KZ is Football )
I was going to use the word play of boom, booming, boomtime and Boomers but the word and usage of 'Boomers' is a concept is "divide et impera" and the recognition of that needs to be acknowledged...I don't want to go there and use that concept of division and I do not support it....so Boom there goes that smartypants construct.

I've been following this for years as has the NYTimes more recently.

The scientific investigation of psychoactive drugs. Is it possible to quantify on a scientific basis? I very much doubt it as it is inherently flawed to be 'explained' by it as science requires the empirical, quantifiable and literal provability.

The scientific and medicinal evaluation so it can be used by the pharmaceutical industry as a new product.

The history of usage in the 1950-60's of both the alternative cohort and the military industrial complex and it's subsequent banning.

The desire by the alternative cohort of the mid last century era to have access now that they are 'in charge' and have some sway.

The proven use in various studies including end of life, depression, war injuries and other sectors of the mental health arena.

I have never gone there.....it's a personal choice.
Because I saw a lot of people tripping out as a youngster, I didn't understand it and some of the affects I saw made me very wary.
Because I have a cousin who is 10 years older than I am who fully embraced the life style and frankly went down an avenue too far and has been trying to find his way back to wherever others think he should be. Whether he is actually in the 'right' place and whether he would have gone down that avenue anyway sooner or later or just a little way and turned back, I can't tell.
Because I'm a refusnik.
Because I was too busy doing and thinking up stuff that I wanted to do and not into that kind of tourism.

I am interested in the map, the chart, the orienteering.
I am interested in the sociology of the phenonema, the writing up of it and what I know of actual current usage.
I am interested to point out there are more than a few flaws in this article, as I can see the seams of agendas here.
A major one is of the Methodist person being held in high esteem......uh oh.

"Dr. Griffiths acted like a “spiritual leader,” the complaint said, infusing the research with religious symbolism and steering volunteers toward the outcome he wanted. And he allowed some of his longstanding donors — supporters of drug legalization — to assist in studies, raising ethical questions.
“These are serious allegations that need to be investigated,” said Joanna Kempner, a medical sociologist at Rutgers University who reviewed the complaint for The New York Times. The clashes at Hopkins, she added, mirror a broader debate in the field over “blurring the lines between empirical research and spiritual practice.” " quote from below article

This is a great article. Psychedelics may well have an important role to play in the treatment of a range of conditions, but research needs to be rigorous and not evangelical or dewy-eyed.

Interesting to know the information in below article on 'habibi Funk' not exactly my taste in music a bit to syntheticly modish. I prefer a different blend one example below but easy to also think of certain tracks on My Life in the Bush of Ghosts.
Notable to recognaise parallel styles and the particular colonial history of this musical byway.
I can certainly see how it might make for another unique Parisienne atmosphere, given the right location, the right street party, the right cafe scene but then I'm reminded of dreaming of lost personal past experience.

seated-odalisque-left-knee-bent-ornamental-background-and-checkerboard-1924-1.jpg!Large.jpg
Seated Odalisque. Henri Matisse 1924

Back in the 1980-90's it used to be a great treat to go to the Hammam at the Grande Mosquee de Paris with friends, have the full experience of the steam baths, different plunge pools and sit waiting for your number to come up, to be done over by the big mama femme d'Arabe with the black gommage massage which was not for the faint hearted, then recover by siping mint tea on the cafe terrace with a baklava and then go for a trundle around the beautiful gardens.

That was before the mass tourism invasion, before the twin towers, before these little known experiences of Paris didn't seem to cost the earth, before the place was discovered and promoted widely to the young American travellers, who seemed to discover Paris and particularly the Marais en mass in late 90's.
Something happened to the live and let live attitude in Paris that existed previously, it was noticeable, the inimic had arrived, it was a shame, they wore a differnt agenda.

Suddenly the Marais was fashionable, flooded with the loud, gauche imperialistic behaviour. Imported attitudes of segregation and division, treating the place like a human zoo to be consumed their way.
The queues for the best Falafel in a hole in the wall place, just down from Goldberg's restaurant (bombed by the PLO sympathisers in the 80's) were now a block long as it was a must do for these loud invaders, the authenticity and harmony was overshaddowed.
The Arabic elements of Paris were generally ignored and scorned by these tourists, few went to the Mosquee and if they did it was like it was behind museum glass and not a living, functioning part of Paris.

Post 9/11 it all became not so nice, with the suspicion this generated worldwide of an us and them.
This miasma left you with residual feelings of being not so welcome in the Arab quarters both in Paris and Bordeaux (marche St Michel).
At the Hammam in a visit post this dramatic change it was very apparent, not relaxed, as the thought that you were possibly American of not knowing the difference in accented French or not wanting to know or care, you became a 'them' whether you liked it or not.
The fix was in, this small piece of petit paradise was beyond reach. That world receded rent by false divisions.

France got renovated with the influx of tourist dollars, like everywhere in the late last century, noticeable as the authentic was done over and monoculture became rampant.

And then of course there is this movie:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back