Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

This morning woke up with this song on my mind after a difficult day was had,
found myself singing it as I was putting on the kettle for the first coffee.

I remember buying this album in New York in 1988 on cassette for the walkman.
I was desperate for a soundtrack that blocked out the difficulties of maintaining equilibrium there.
It worked and I would take one day off a week, just to hang out at International House doing laundry in the basement or hanging out in the beautiful art deco foyer lounge doing nothing.
So far behind me now in the rearview mirror of memories so near I can touch the sentiments still.

Have a good day out there in the waves RZSS denziens.

Favourite track on the album:

A bit Eurocentric / Anglocentric (I know), but this album transcends language. I have had a number of happy Pepper moments, but one of my favourites was when one of my brothers arrived unannounced at my flat in St.Kilda one winter's night in the mid 80's with four or five of the most impossibly beautiful Danish women that he had met somewhere. They all had a reasonable, but at times imperfect grasp of English, and at a loss as to how to entertain everyone, I resorted to jazz cigarettes and Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. A splendid time was guaranteed for all and after a lot of smiling and a bit of a sing along, they all left happily to continue their adventures.

A nice memory.

Last edited:

Yo La Tengo - RZSS PREMIERE

A few years old now, but I still love this song. Great clip too, depicting a typical day at the RZSS. The notes on the board are worth a look, as the band make a music genome map, list their influences, ask some philosophical questions and quote lyrics. Clearly this band know their music.

PS - if you look closely you will notice Sun Ra gets a mention, as do a host of RZSS favourites.

Last edited:

A few years old now, but I still love this song. Great clip too, depicting a typical day at the RZSS. The notes on the board are worth a look, as the band make a music genome map, list their influences, ask some philosophical questions and quote lyrics. Clearly this band know their music.

PS - if you look closely you will notice Sun Ra gets a mention, as do a host of RZSS favourites.

Love, love, love adore!
As I love the descriptive additional monikers of RZSS denziens.
True to form some don't wish for position descriptives to be attached, claiming that their mission is all encompasing and not to be restricted to one role alone.
They are quite feral about domesticating signifers and wish to roam unencumbered by a collar or microchip.
Last seen enjoying sonorous morning tunes out back by the sticks, stretching in the sun rather pleased with the permissive capacity of the institution that is undaunted by individuality.
It is splendid to observe that around our hallowed fire pit stakeholders would rather play with sticks than with stakes.

Love, love, love adore!
As I love the descriptive additional monikers of RZSS denziens.
True to form some don't wish for position descriptives to be attached, claiming that their mission is all encompasing and not to be restricted to one role alone.
They are quite feral about domesticating signifers and wish to roam unencumbered by a collar or microchip.
Last seen enjoying sonorous morning tunes out back by the sticks, stretching in the sun rather pleased with the permissive capacity of the institution that is undaunted by individuality.
It is splendid to observe that around our hallowed fire pit stakeholders would rather play with sticks than with stakes.
I always like to have a few sticks about the place. I am an adherent of the “Low Stakes, High Sticks” approach to pedagogy.

Here is my current favourite:

IMG_0191.jpeg IMG_0192.jpeg IMG_0194.jpeg

Thank you! I'd never heard of them until this morning. Gives me another lovely distraction for the day chasing up other music of theirs.

Thank you! I'd never heard of them until this morning. Gives me another lovely distraction for the day chasing up other music of theirs.
Yo La Tengo are an AMAZINGLY GREAT band.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

S for Stick: >stick songs

file cabnet.jpg

Rhythm stick

Stick with me baby Krauss & Plant

Sticks and stones the Pierces

Sticky fingers

Pick up sticks Dave Brubeck

I am the sticks

Stuck in the middle of the sticks

Stick together the obvious cliche

Stick out your tongue Elvis Costello

Four sticks of Zeppelin

In the sticks Warrant Official
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsVS97YuiN0&ab_channel=Warrant-Topic

Stick em up beastie boys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Zek9IruiM&ab_channel=downwiththeking1

Magic stick 50cents worth

Sensitivity Sticks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWG6apzIWAk&ab_channel=NoahKahanVEVO

Thug sticks

I want to repost this song from the article because it's my favourite version of it and I recognise someone I did acting classes with at the time. She was a big Allnighters fan, which was another fun band to see. Love the pointy boots too. I wore mine until they disintegrated. I'd buy them again if I was blessed with more cash.

I loved this film clip with the stop animation..perfection.
I think this Stick song wins the award as the most appropriate RZSS stick song for it's stickiness of sentiments that reinforce RZSS values.
We at the RZSS are all sticking with the stick as we stick with you..whoever you maybe and which ever stick you are playing with at any given time.
RZSS cats reiterate, that support for playing with sticks and sticking around is our mission.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back