Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

Really reminds me of smoke filled share houses of my youth.
I love the Cocteau Twins. I made a ‘Seasonal’ band list a few weeks ago and whenever it starts to get cold and winter is about, the Cocteau Twins really come into their own. For me, they are the aural equivalent of an open fire, a warm bed and a cold world, seen through glass from a warm room. You can wrap yourself in them. The Cocteau Twins are my comfort band.

Last edited:

For your Sunday reading pleasure:

"It’s possible that songs have distinct features because they have a special role in human communication separate from speech, said Aniruddh Patel, a psychologist at Tufts University who was not involved in the study. What’s more, our brains appear to be sensitive to those features. In 2022, Dr. Patel pointed out, researchers discovered human neurons that only responded to singing — not speech or music played on instruments."

Often somethings are so obvious that scientific research, in pinning down the empirical evidence of proof, miss the obvious application of knowledge or entity through the ages.
Why is it that music forms a part of almost all human rituals, because those 'human neurons' recognaise fundementally the signifiers through song. The participation of singing underlies and underlines the participation in the ritual.

Last edited:
For your Sunday reading pleasure:

"It’s possible that songs have distinct features because they have a special role in human communication separate from speech, said Aniruddh Patel, a psychologist at Tufts University who was not involved in the study. What’s more, our brains appear to be sensitive to those features. In 2022, Dr. Patel pointed out, researchers discovered human neurons that only responded to singing — not speech or music played on instruments."

Often somethings are so obvious that scientific research, in pinning down the empirical evidence of proof, miss the obvious application of knowledge or entity through the ages.
Why is it that music forms a part of almost all human rituals, because those 'human neurons' recognaise fundementally the signifiers through song. The participation of singing underlies and underlines the participation in the ritual.
Thanks Pamcake1 - we all get such great value out of your NYT subscription.

The same goes for this. Not big on atmospherics, but one of the purest pieces of intelligent jangle pop music.

Put a tiger in your tank!

Television was the great child minder when I was growing up. Amazing how much of the advertising we were exposed to stuck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of my favourite tracks off one of my favourite albums with one of my favourite philosophies.

I don’t know why, but Spy v Spy completely got past me. I couldn’t name a single song. I listened to this and quite liked it. I think too much water has gone under the bridge for me to jump onto them.

I don’t know why, but Spy v Spy completely got past me. I couldn’t name a single song. I listened to this and quite liked it. I think too much water has gone under the bridge for me to jump onto them.
They were terrific live. First two albums are my favourite. A different iteration of the band is still going, just the original drummer, and the late guitarists guitar plus some of Newcastle's best session musos.

This ‘shuffled’ on in the car just as I was pulling up at home. I’m sure this is a baddonk - but it is worth posting. I just love the distorted psychedelic majesty of the piece.

Come in alone
You'll love
To let go
And I'll turn
You around
When your hopes
Gave me doubts
Oh Run and hide

Why I don't need
To believe
What you see
To look up
And around
You were gone
Words came out
To a sound

Feel I'm alive
You will see
Why I'm alive
Felt like crying
Over her
I will go
To the wall
Run from some

Come in alone
You'll love
To let go
And I'll turn
You around
When your hope
Gave me doubts
Love and hide

Put a tiger in your tank!

Television was the great child minder when I was growing up. Amazing how much of the advertising we were exposed to stuck.
Exactly why we weren't alowed to watch it. Go outside and play! If you're bored go read a book.
I remember it and some of them because it was really exotic to see actual commercials.
When finally parental restrictions were loosened there were only two chanels to watch of which the ABC always had the better programming and we never had a colour tv at home ever.

Last edited:
Exactly why we weren't alowed to watch it. Go outside and play! If you're bored go read a book.
I was an ABC child. And even then it was frequently vetted. My father's favourite saying for particular shows (Banana Splits for instance) was that they were for "backward American children" before turning it off. It was a real struggle to watch stuff like Dr Who. Kenny Everett passed for some unknown reason.

I remember it and some of them because it was really exotic to see actual commercials.
When finally parental restrictions were loosened there were only two chanels to watch of which the ABC always had the better programming and we never had a colour tv at home ever.
Being in the city, with four channels to watch (ATV0, ABV2, HSV7 & GTV9) we were ‘spoiled for choice’. My mum had four boys under the age of eight and my early memories were of regular little brothers arriving and the needs of the new baby being paramount. Plonking us in front of the television bought mum some peace. That said, if the sun was out, we would be booted outside to climb trees, catch lizzies and taddies, piff yonnies, play chasey and depending on the season, cricket or football. We certainly watched a lot of TV, but the prevailing orthodoxy was that you didn’t waste a sunny day.

PS - The new avatar ROCKS, Pamcake1

Last edited:
I was an ABC child. And even then it was frequently vetted. My father's favourite saying for particular shows (Banana Splits for instance) was that they were for "backward American children" before turning it off. It was a real struggle to watch stuff like Dr Who. Kenny Everett passed for some unknown reason.
We only got a TV when I was 8. We were allowed to watch one hour on the ABC only and it had to be negotiated with us 4 kids (little sister kind of didn't count.) So at the start it was Mr Squiggle, Felix the Cat, Magic Roundabout, Kimba, Adventure Island, Sea Spray and the Banana Splits, that did move on to Dr Who but I used to hide behind the couch terrified because I thought it was all real. As teenagers we watched, the Goodies, Countdown, Monty Python etc.
Having been so long denied I would watch anything for a few years there.
Ah the days of waiting for something other than the test pattern! And it was in B&W not like this on a tiny twelve inch with a dodgy aerial.

3273823cc498aafb529ed89ed6a6ba33.jpg

Last edited:
1716322384204.jpeg
“I predict that the RZSS will be approached by a Cultural Attaché from UNESCO who will invite the school to promote world peace and understanding through the celebration of cool music and countercultural perspectives in visual art, literature, philosophy and the media.”

Last edited:
1716323336799.jpeg
“How countercultural do we have to be? For instance, can I still play The Jam? I would argue that Paul Weller isn’t exactly countercultural, but he has written some great songs. Take this for example.”

Last edited:
1716323661430.jpeg
“I love that song! You are right, The Jam are hard to categorise. I will consult with spirits and see what they say. I like this song too.”

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back