2 to 3

Remove this Banner Ad

noideaatall

Premiership Player
May 14, 2011
home, sth of hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I give the following players 2 to 3 years: Howe, whe, Adams, pendles, Adams, mihocek, Elliott, cox.
Cox could go sooner if he is relegated to the twos this year. The point of this thread is we have a third of our line up & key talent in their last few years.
What I get from this is we have an opportunity next year but need to remain in a building state for quite a while.

I give the following players 2 to 3 years: Howe, whe, Adams, pendles, Adams, mihocek, Elliott, cox.
Cox could go sooner if he is relegated to the twos this year. The point of this thread is we have a third of our line up & key talent in their last few years.
What I get from this is we have an opportunity next year but need to remain in a building state for quite a while.
Howe = Dean
WHE = meh
Adams = Bianco/Reef/ HH/ Macrae/ Draper/ Husthwaite
Pendles = praise the lord
Mihocek = Johnson/ Keeler/ Freddy
Elliot = Hill/ McCreery/ Ginniven
Cox = Rucks are always replaceable

I think we'll be fine

Sidebum? Memblebury is the big out and this may well be the final year.

It probably bears repeating what I said in another thread, or maybe I just like the sound of my own virtual voice. I don't think it's a case of replacing players like-for-like, especially when there's no one quite like Howe or Elliott in the whole comp let alone in any given draft.

I think that the release of Grundy and the recruitment of McStay, Hill, Frampton and Mitchell demonstrates that the approach is not as much "Howe/Elliot/Sidey is leaving, who replaces his style of play?" as it's "we play XYZ and need ABC players to fill all these roles... Where are the holes and what holes might appear?" Within that structure, certain roles are prioritised. It's clear that ruck is not high on the priority list for example. Role players will suffice in the ruck and if we have better without a salary cap premium, that's a bonus.

We may seek to address a shortfall across the list. For example we clearly looked for pace recently. We may want X number of intercepting defenders, or Y number of forwards who can rotate through the midfield.

Speaking of midfield, Naicos is the Pendles replacement in a broader sense, if we're looking for one. Again, not like-for-like but by the end of 2024 he gives us an absolutely elite midfield maestro who can play forward, mid or drop to halfback if needed. We're bloody lucky to have the kid, because the whole competition only gets a handful of players that good in a generation.

Always end by basking in the glory of all things Daicos.

Howe = Dean
WHE = meh
Adams = Bianco/Reef/ HH/ Macrae/ Draper/ Husthwaite
Pendles = praise the lord
Mihocek = Johnson/ Keeler/ Freddy
Elliot = Hill/ McCreery/ Ginniven
Cox = Rucks are always replaceable

I think we'll be fine
I stopped here.

Forgot Sidebum, big out, give him 3. It's not simply about role replacement - most of these have had & have a change in roles. Nor capacity as this is dropping off. Nor experience. It's about all of these lost over a short period of time. 1/3 of the current team.
We recruited an age group to peak together & now so many will finish around the same time. I question whether we will be able to head out with a war chest for one big name - we may need to spread that between a number.

If you made this thread 2-3 years ago (end of 2019 Eg) you would’ve had the following players ending within 2-3 years:

• mayne
  • Thomas
  • Roughead
  • pendles
  • Sidebottom
  • Varcoe
  • reid
  • Dunn
  • beams
  • Greenwood

And this isn’t including players who have been traded out of the last 2-3 years.

Point being, every list has turn over, and we’ve shown a consistent ability to regenerate and this will happen again. Players will come in for players that go out, well draft and develop a few gems and the cycle continues.

The most important part for me was who was the special talent that will take over whenever pendles stops playing, and ND35 looks every bit capable of being that for the next 10-15 years.

If you made this thread 2-3 years ago (end of 2019 Eg) you would’ve had the following players ending within 2-3 years:

• mayne
  • Thomas
  • Roughead
  • pendles
  • Sidebottom
  • Varcoe
  • reid
  • Dunn
  • beams
  • Greenwood

And this isn’t including players who have been traded out of the last 2-3 years.

Point being, every list has turn over, and we’ve shown a consistent ability to regenerate and this will happen again. Players will come in for players that go out, well draft and develop a few gems and the cycle continues.

The most important part for me was who was the special talent that will take over whenever pendles stops playing, and ND35 looks every bit capable of being that for the next 10-15 years.
Yep. Replacing 8 players in 3 years really isn't a big deal - especially when guys like Cox and WHE form part of the 8.

If Howe is still in our best 22 by years end we are F$&@ked. I doubt he has anything left in him.

WHE could be replaced with a witches hat and I still think the witches hat would get more hardball gets. No loss. I’m more dumbfounded how he was given another 3 years. FMD.

I suppose you needed to mention Adams twice. Just as two negatives make a positive. Maybe having him named twice we might just break even. The only thing I will say is I hope no one is that stupid to make him Captain. Please for my own sanity….

Pendles will play on as long as he likes. You can’t buy his type of Professionalism. And you need it around to show the way for the others coming through. One of our Greatest ever. If not the Greatest. He goes out on his own accord. Let’s hope he makes it to 400 games.

Mihochek has been a valuable soldier who will eventually succumb to the volume of bashing and crashing he has been asked to do. Unfortunately the cliff approaching very soon. Might be done at years end.

I’m with Jen on him. If injuries don’t get him. He’ll evaluate his worth by 2025. He earned his money this year. I have plenty of respect for Billy.

Not sure where the hate for Cox is coming. He is by far now our No.1 ruck. And had an awesome year once he was predominantly rucking. He will only get better and I can see him playing at least another 3 years. His body shape is perfect for the modern day Ruckman. And you sure as hell can’t teach height.

Sidey is the one that worries me. The delusional commentary about his elite ball use is only surpassed by the continued diatribe about his tank. Just stick him in the forward line and let him kick his 40/50 goals. Much more value to us than occupying a wing where he clearly can’t keep up with the modern younger flyers. He’ll be far too clever for any dumb defender in the forward line. That may stave off his departure later rather than sooner.

If we lose all at the end of next season it might be a slight problem. But I’d expect them all to be gone in 2/3. Without doubt. With the exception of maybe Cox. Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Howe is still in our best 22 by years end we are F$&@ked. I doubt he has anything left in him.

WHE could be replaced with a witches hat and I still think the witches hat would get more hardball gets. No loss. I’m more dumbfounded how he was given another 3 years. FMD.

I suppose you needed to mention Adams twice. Just as two negatives make a positive. Maybe having him named twice we might just break even. The only thing I will say is I hope no one is that stupid to make him Captain. Please for my own sanity….

Pendles will play on as long as he likes. You can’t buy his type of Professionalism. And you need it around to show the way for the others coming through. One of our Greatest ever. If not the Greatest. He goes out on his own accord. Let’s hope he makes it to 400 games.

Mihochek has been a valuable soldier who will eventually succumb to the volume of bashing and crashing he has been asked to do. Unfortunately the cliff approaching very soon. Might be done at years end.

I’m with Jen on him. If injuries don’t get him. He’ll evaluate his worth by 2025. He earned his money this year. I have plenty of respect for Billy.

Not sure where the hate for Cox is coming. He is by far now our No.1 ruck. And had an awesome year once he was predominantly rucking. He will only get better and I can see him playing at least another 3 years. His body shape is perfect for the modern day Ruckman. And you sure as hell can’t teach height.

Sidey is the one that worries me. The delusional commentary about his elite ball use is only surpassed by the continued diatribe about his tank. Just stick him in the forward line and let him kick his 40/50 goals. Much more value to us than occupying a wing where he clearly can’t keep up with the modern younger flyers. He’ll be far too clever for any dumb defender in the forward line. That may stave off his departure later rather than sooner.

If we lose all at the end of next season it might be a slight problem. But I’d expect them all to be gone in 2/3. Without doubt. With the exception of maybe Cox. Maybe.

No need for anyone to coitus you into the afterlife. WHE was reported to have signed for 2 years. I look forward to him going well past 200 games. And all his detractors can gain further dissatisfaction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No need for anyone to coitus you into the afterlife. WHE was reported to have signed for 2 years. I look forward to him going well past 200 games. And all his detractors can gain further dissatisfaction.

Dennis, the only reason I can come up with, for your continual support of WHE. Is that you are conflicted. In that you provide player sponsorship for him. The more games he plays the longer you can keep his cutout in the office reception.

Dennis, the only reason I can come up with, for your continual support of WHE. Is that you are conflicted. In that you provide player sponsorship for him. The more games he plays the longer you can keep his cutout in the office reception.

I keep the cutout in my office thanks very much. Will is too good for reception. And I love the angst he brings to so many.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back