Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - '23 AA & '24 NM VC

Remove this Banner Ad

Is anyone else generally concerned this guy will leave given he’d be getting 22 games at a few clubs atm. He needs to play every week imo and get gelling with bbb, I’m not fussed with results, we aren’t going to win a flag this year. It also ponders the question of big brad scott coaching for his career rather than the good of the club

Think the skipper is playing in his position - so it could be a long wait
I think it is Wood he would replace as we need Larkey to play mainly outside of 50 to drag defenders away from BBB.

CZ and JZ would then be the 2 medium talls.

With Wood's form being up and down I think Larkey will get a chance to prove himself sooner rather than later.
Sorry, lads, but I disagree with both of these takes.

I honestly might be mistaken on how often we saw this combination, but from memory, our best footy last year was arguably played with Waite playing forward with Wood, Ziebell, and Brown, and Brown has always played his best footy with another genuine KPF down there with him, rather than just a couple of tweeners. I think there is absolutely enough room to play Larkey, Brown, Wood, and Ziebell in the same forward line. It would just mean that Turner and Zurhaar would have to be our other forwards so we still get that pressure at ground level.

F: Zurhaar/Thomas, Larkey, JZ
HF: Wood, Brown, Turner
This would be my preferred forward line. Would offer a good mix of goal scoring, marking power, tackling and mongrel. Larkey and Brown are what makes this dangerous.

I honestly might be mistaken on how often we saw this combination, but from memory, our best footy last year was arguably played with Waite playing forward with Wood, Ziebell, and Brown, and Brown has always played his best footy with another genuine KPF down there with him, rather than just a couple of tweeners. I think there is absolutely enough room to play Larkey, Brown, Wood, and Ziebell in the same forward line. It would just mean that Turner and Zurhaar would have to be our other forwards so we still get that pressure at ground level.
Strangely enough Ziebell also played his best game when he was roving off of the key forwards.

Couldn’t agree more. Spot on.

Makes us very slow is the only problem and teams will rebound easily.

The only problem with that is players like Hall, LDU, Bailey don't get into the team.

5 tall/medium talls in BBB, Wood, JZ, Larkey and CZ plus just Turner as the small would never work as the forward 6.

For Larkey to be successful in out forward line, I think he needs to be either more mobile or moreaggressive. If we have issues with Brown being pushed around too easily - Larkey isn't going to be any better... He won't be much use with two KPF on the floor and no genuine crummers around

Will be interesting to see what the club put out regarding Nick. He was checking his own carotid? pulse during the 3rd quarter today and called the Doc out. Pretty much went straight off and laid down. The Docs came and checked his pulse, got the old stethoscope out to have a listen and he never returned to the field. Spent a bit of time on the phone during the last quarter from memory as well. To be fair to Nick, he was comfortably the most vocal in support from the bench.

Will be interesting to see what the club put out regarding Nick. He was checking his own carotid? pulse during the 3rd quarter today and called the Doc out. Pretty much went straight off and laid down. The Docs came and checked his pulse, got the old stethoscope out to have a listen and he never returned to the field. Spent a bit of time on the phone during the last quarter from memory as well. To be fair to Nick, he was comfortably the most vocal in support from the bench.

Really don't like the sounds of this. The fact that he was checking himself in the first place too doesn't bode well. Been so looking forward to seeing Larkey embark on a permanent run in our side, but if he's carrying a cardiac issue that would be terrible, for him and us. Fingers crossed that's not the case.

Thanks for always keeping us current on the VFL goings-on rickety. I always enjoy reading your entertaining and detailed accounts of what's happening over there.

I can only presume he was heat affected and had a racing heart. Fingers crossed anyway. Appreciate the reports mate!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You only have to look at Harry McKay, he’s 20ish games in to his AFL career and really starting to show what he can do. A bit of short term pain for potential long term gain (same applies for Harry’s brother). Maybe we uncover a gem? Maybe we find out he’s a bust? Either way we’ll be better off for knowing.

You only have to look at Harry McKay, he’s 20ish games in to his AFL career and really starting to show what he can do. A bit of short term pain for potential long term gain (same applies for Harry’s brother). Maybe we uncover a gem? Maybe we find out he’s a bust? Either way we’ll be better off for knowing.
If only...

Reality is that there's no room for him in our forward line.

We are busy developing the likes of young Turner, young Ziebells, young Masons Woods, youngs Jyss Simpkinss, getting games into the kids with bright futures ahead of them, knowatimean?

Jy Simpkin is young. He's just turned 21.

Phew, I hope you're right TT. These things never occur to me here in ice hockey land.

Purely a guess Sop but it was a 30C sunny day here (on the equivalent of October 20th in your neck of the woods) and he's a pale skinned red head.

good point, how long did it take to find out we had a player in MAJ?

I notice that Todd Marshall is now getting some games for Port, went pretty early in the same draft as Nick iirc, probably similar sizes height wise, and as for weight, why is it so critical ?, i already noted that although a bit shorter than Eric Hipwood, who already has 50+ games under his belt, outweighs him by 2-3 kg (according to footywire), deserves another crack at it, when 100% fit.

Reality is that there's no room for him in our forward line.

We are busy developing the likes of young Turner, young Ziebells, young Masons Woods, youngs Jyss Simpkinss, getting games into the kids with bright futures ahead of them, knowatimean?

Yet apart from Ziebull, the others haven't played many games, and thus are developing.

I feel sorry for Larkey and with Scott being back his mates son straight away from suspension in McDonald and Thomas who under the right coach and mentor could be something.
So Nick I wish you the best at your new club in 2020 as I feel North will trade you for a 3rd round pick to get points for NGA player who like you won't get a go and will be traded out at a later date.

This is spot on. Even when we play a small forward line its still rebound city for the opposition. By having multiple marking threats is spreads the oppo out making outnumbers less likely. Plus Larkey, Ziebell and Wood are all decent at ground level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back