Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

I don't blame him at all, but I just don't see a spot for him in the future. I think McLean and Amartey deserve sometime together to get chemistry and next year is almost a write off now.

I really don’t understand this.

what is the deserve for McLean or amartey ?

they get chemistry in the twos. If they are better than Reid and buddy they’ll replace them.

reid was a dominant second ruck in the second half of the season. He beat Jackson and Gawn. If truth be told I can’t remember a single ruck who beat him in the second half of the year. His mobility would have helped against blicavs were he fit. McLean clearly was not it.

if you are feeling as I am that you need to vent because living in the moment is horrendous and you also believe that’s where the team is at then next season will be problematic. But although I’m scarred by the experience I’m hopeful the players will believe their best can beat anyone and that next season will have a finish 3-10 in store. And if they are lucky it’ll be better than that

Reid is not to blame for our poor showing yesterday but as a man who has had to manage soft tissue injuries his ENTIRE career, surely he would have known that his body wasn't right for the occasion?

Longmire is putting his hand up to say he got it wrong by selecting Reid (and deserves to wear the criticism) but Sam would have been giving feedback to Damien Raper and Horse all week about how his groin was tracking. With low level strains, you do count on the players giving you honest feedback to see how well you can manage these things and Reid never looked fit from the get go.

This suggests a total lack of honesty from Reid and reminds me of Mumford in 2012 heading into the GF, which he has smugly (and publicly) admitted that he never should have been out on the ground to begin with.

Obviously speculation of course, but Damien Raper and Horse can never make the mistake to take this player's word again.

I don't blame him at all, but I just don't see a spot for him in the future. I think McLean and Amartey deserve sometime together to get chemistry and next year is almost a write off now.
How times change. 48 hours ago he was the one player on whose presence our whole structure depended and the majority of posters were sweating on his availability. Now, according to some apparently well informed posters, he’s a liar who deliberately deceived his coaches about his injury, and of such little value he should now be delisted.

How times change. 48 hours ago he was the one player on whose presence our whole structure depended and the majority of posters were sweating on his availability. Now, according to some apparently well informed posters, he’s a liar who deliberately deceived his coaches about his injury, and of such little value he should now be delisted.
I don't think he should be delisted but I've also managed very dodgy calves throughout my teens and twenties and know when I can perform and when I can't. If Reid wasn't being dishonest then the only other alternative is that he is clueless about his body and that is deeply concerning for a 31 year old professional athlete. So I'm inclined to think it's the former rather than the latter, otherwise he should be delisted.

And next year is suddenly a write-off and we aren't making the 8

I don't think he should be delisted but I've also managed very dodgy calves throughout my teens and twenties and know when I can perform and when I can't. If Reid wasn't being dishonest then the only other alternative is that he is clueless about his body and that is deeply concerning for a 31 year old professional athlete. So I'm inclined to think it's the former rather than the latter, otherwise he should be delisted.
I don’t know whether he was dishonest and neither does anyone else on this board - perhaps he was, perhaps he wasn’t. As you say, alternatively, he just may be clueless about his body.

However, there’s also a third possibility - he’s an elite athlete with years of experience who has a very good understanding of his body and is supported by an expert medical team. He, and the medical team (in consultation with the coaches) may have genuinely believed that his injury represented either no, or an acceptable level of, risk but, unfortunately they were simply wrong. It happens.

Note - of course, there is likely to be a range of views on what is considered to be an “acceptable“ level of risk within the context of a Grand Final.

Both can be true.

There was no way he took the field yesterday believing he was good to go.

Commentators mentioned during the warm up he was just standing there

I don’t know whether he was dishonest and neither does anyone else on this board - perhaps he was, perhaps he wasn’t. As you say, alternatively, he just may be clueless about his body.

However, there’s also a third possibility - he’s an elite athlete with years of experience who has a very good understanding of his body and is supported by an expert medical team. He, and the medical team (in consultation with the coaches) may have genuinely believed that his injury represented either no, or an acceptable level of, risk but, unfortunately they were simply wrong. It happens.

Note - of course, there is likely to be a range of views on what is considered to be an “acceptable“ level of risk within the context of a Grand Final.
Wasn't even about further injury, he couldn't move to begin with

Reid is not to blame for our poor showing yesterday but as a man who has had to manage soft tissue injuries his ENTIRE career, surely he would have known that his body wasn't right for the occasion?

Longmire is putting his hand up to say he got it wrong by selecting Reid (and deserves to wear the criticism) but Sam would have been giving feedback to Damien Raper and Horse all week about how his groin was tracking. With low level strains, you do count on the players giving you honest feedback to see how well you can manage these things and Reid never looked fit from the get go.

This suggests a total lack of honesty from Reid and reminds me of Mumford in 2012 heading into the GF, which he has smugly (and publicly) admitted that he never should have been out on the ground to begin with.

Obviously speculation of course, but Damien Raper and Horse can never make the mistake to take this player's word again.
Horse said "We got it wrong", subtle difference, but a meaningful one. Horse seems like the type that would accept responsibility if it was his final call. But the "we" in that statement to me suggests that someone ****ed up, and it wasn't horse. It's either the medical staff or Reid, or both. But ultimately the medical advice they used to make the call was to blame imo. Im sure Horse accepts responsibility for not asking enough questions so that he made the right call in the end, but I imagine he wasn't given the appropriate advice, and it looks like he's pretty filthy about it.

Horse said "We got it wrong", subtle difference, but a meaningful one. Horse seems like the type that would accept responsibility if it was his final call. But the "we" in that statement to me suggests that someone *ed up, and it wasn't horse. It's either the medical staff or Reid, or both. But ultimately the medical advice they used to make the call was to blame imo. Im sure Horse accepts responsibility for not asking enough questions so that he made the right call in the end, but I imagine he wasn't given the appropriate advice, and it looks like he's pretty filthy about it.

I repeat the match committee got this wrong.

This season Reid was a great second ruck and a just ok second tall forward.

McLean replaced him as second ruck as we knew he wasn’t up to that - that was the clear acknowledgement by the match committee that he couldn’t do his job and he was getting replaced.

He the. Replaced McDonald as the second tall forward.

That’s all on the match committee. They knew he couldn’t do his job so they thought there is another job.

His entire career he has been best as a mobile marking forward - a pseudo wingman not as a wrestling player. They knew he wouldn’t be mobile enough to ruck or strong enough.

It’s all on them

We panicked. When Reid went down, we knew we had an issue with our list and tried to correct it. We tried to fit a square peg through a round hole and it backfired in spectacular fashion.

I don't think any changes we made would have changed the result. Reid was our best option, and was light years ahead of the second best, hence the panicked selection decisions.

We need to improve our list in order to become a genuine premiership threat.

We also need address the mentality of the group going into the GF, but that's a separate issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horse said "We got it wrong", subtle difference, but a meaningful one. Horse seems like the type that would accept responsibility if it was his final call. But the "we" in that statement to me suggests that someone *ed up, and it wasn't horse. It's either the medical staff or Reid, or both. But ultimately the medical advice they used to make the call was to blame imo. Im sure Horse accepts responsibility for not asking enough questions so that he made the right call in the end, but I imagine he wasn't given the appropriate advice, and it looks like he's pretty filthy about it.
Yep, for arguments sake let’s say Reid and the medical team went to Horse and said he’s able to sprint, jump and has an 80% chance of lasting the game. Should Horse have picked him? What if that 80% was instead 50%, then what? Risk assessment was always going to be pivotal to deciding whether he (and indeed any player carry an injury) was selected.

Superstar swan noted earlier that Reid couldn’t move to begin with and was just standing around during the warm up. If that was the known likely impact of his injury before he was selected than the coaches risk appetite was very high indeed. If it was only apparent during the warm up itself then Reid or the medical team, who surely must have been watching him like a hawk at that point, should have alerted the coaches and one of the emergencies should have been brought in.

Yep, for arguments sake let’s say Reid and the medical team went to Horse and said he’s able to sprint, jump and has an 80% chance of lasting the game. Should Horse have picked him? What if that 80% was instead 50%, then what? Risk assessment was always going to be pivotal to deciding whether he (and indeed any player carry an injury) was selected.

Superstar swan noted earlier that Reid couldn’t move to begin with and was just standing around during the warm up. If that was the known likely impact of his injury before he was selected than the coaches risk appetite was very high indeed. If it was only apparent during the warm up itself then Reid or the medical team, who surely must have been watching him like a hawk at that point, should have alerted the coaches and one of the emergencies should have been brought in.
That's ultimately where they failed. They had an opportunity to make the call at that stage and failed to do so. They had ample opportunity to fully assess him, and made the wrong call.

But hindsight is 20/20, so just have to live with it.

Besides, even if we had dropped Reid, kept McDonald, and played McLean or Armatey in Reid's place, we weren't going to get the job done against Geelongs ruck setup and on-ball unit. Unfortunately, given the make up of our list, it was Hickey & Reid or bust, and Reid's injury against the pies was the first nail in the coffin.

Even if the selection committee had made the best possible decisions for the GF, with Reid going down, the swans would have had to play a blinder, and the cats would have had to put in a sub-par performance, and we all know that's the complete opposite of what transpired.

The call on Reid wasn't the reason we lost, although it was a contributing factor, it wasn't the reason for the loss. So the positive I take out of it was that Horse got a(nother) lesson about team selection, when ultimately I don't think it really mattered. So hopefully he takes the lesson and doesn't make the same mistake.

What Geelong did to our team should also give Horse plenty to work with in regards to game plan team structure etc. And hopefully we can make those adjustments, and train so that we don't make the same mistakes.

That's ultimately where they failed. They had an opportunity to make the call at that stage and failed to do so. They had ample opportunity to fully assess him, and made the wrong call.

But hindsight is 20/20, so just have to live with it.

Besides, even if we had dropped Reid, kept McDonald, and played McLean or Armatey in Reid's place, we weren't going to get the job done against Geelongs ruck setup and on-ball unit. Unfortunately, given the make up of our list, it was Hickey & Reid or bust, and Reid's injury against the pies was the first nail in the coffin.

Even if the selection committee had made the best possible decisions for the GF, with Reid going down, the swans wpuld jave jad to play a blinder, and the cats wpuld have had to put in a sub-par performance, and we all know that's the complete opposite of what transpired.

The call on Reid wasn't the reason we lost, although it was a contributing factor, it wasn't the reason for the loss. So the positive I take out of it was that Horse got a(nother) lesson about team selection, when ultimately I don't think it really mattered. So hopefully he takes the lesson and doesn't make the same mistake.

What Geelong did to our team should also give Horse plenty to work with in regards to game plan team structure etc. And hopefully we can make those adjustments, and train so that we don't make the same mistakes.
Agreed, no single player’s improvement would have changed that result. We were so bad, and Geelong so good, that it would have needed a significant improvement from the vast majority of our players to make any meaningful difference to the result.

Wouldn’t call next year a write off just yet.

Have to say I am still not sold on McLean or Amartey. Good VFL players but to this point neither have convinced me they’ll step up to be AFL level players.

he only rushed back yesterday because he was so vital though.

All I can say is 11 years ago Collingwood picked another Reid who was under an injury cloud going into a grand final against Geelong.

They say history doesn't repeat itself but it does rhyme.

Agreed, no single player’s improvement would have changed that result. We were so bad, and Geelong so good, that it would have needed a significant improvement from the vast majority of our players to make any meaningful difference to the result.
Absolutely agree but that's not the point a lot of posters are making here and hence why a lot of posters have prefaced their comments by stating that Reid's substitution was ultimately a non factor on the result.

However, putting the circumstances of yesterday's loss to the side and throwing in a hypothetical of the game being an even contest, what if Reid's injury was the difference between winning and losing?

We beat the Pies by only a point after losing our structure from Reid's injury the week prior and that's fine because it was an injury that was out of anyone's control.

Why would you risk the same outcome if it is within your control though?

The medical team have chief responsibility of these situations but ultimately the buck stops with Longmire. Now you have a bunch of people pointing fingers when all of this could have been avoided if Reid had the gumption or the awareness to say, "no, I'm not okay to play."

To reiterate, Sam Reid is a seasoned professional with a well documented history of soft tissue injuries and regardless of any medical professional or football official's influence he should know whether or not he can play 100+ minutes of intense AFL football.

My respect for Simon Prestiagiacomo only strengthens after this whole debacle...

I was watching Reid closely..couldn't run or jump at all and whenever he was touched he couldn't stand his ground and then was always holding his groin and grimacing his face.
De Koening and Henry would just jump over him and run off and he just stood there grimacing like a statute. This was the first quarter.

Was a dead set disgrace he was out there.

Selection of McLean is proof Horse actually knew Reid was stuffed.

Absolutely agree but that's not the point a lot of posters are making here and hence why a lot of posters have prefaced their comments by stating that Reid's substitution was ultimately a non factor on the result.

However, putting the circumstances of yesterday's loss to the side and throwing in a hypothetical of the game being an even contest, what if Reid's injury was the difference between winning and losing?

We beat the Pies by only a point after losing our structure from Reid's injury the week prior and that's fine because it was an injury that was out of anyone's control.

Why would you risk the same outcome if it is within your control though?

The medical team have chief responsibility of these situations but ultimately the buck stops with Longmire. Now you have a bunch of people pointing fingers when all of this could have been avoided if Reid had the gumption or the awareness to say, "no, I'm not okay to play."

To reiterate, Sam Reid is a seasoned professional with a well documented history of soft tissue injuries and regardless of any medical professional or football official's influence he should know whether or not he can play 100+ minutes of intense AFL football.

My respect for Simon Prestiagiacomo only strengthens after this whole debacle...
Of course he knew.

Wouldn’t call next year a write off just yet.

Have to say I am still not sold on McLean or Amartey. Good VFL players but to this point neither have convinced me they’ll step up to be AFL level players.
Next year definitely isn't a write off - Geelong themselves were beaten by 80 odd in the prelim just last year. If they can bounce back with a couple of tweaks, we can too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back