2010 Western Jets Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

lachlan fairley plays center half back for the jets and has had a ripper last month.
some of the strongest hands in the comp
had 21 possessions and 12 marks, half of which would have been contested on the weekend.
verrry good player
hopefully could gain a screening if his form continues

lachlan fairley plays center half back for the jets and has had a ripper last month.
some of the strongest hands in the comp
had 21 possessions and 12 marks, half of which would have been contested on the weekend.
verrry good player
hopefully could gain a screening if his form continues

Thanks for the feed back GP.:thumbsu:

North might do a lot worse than pick him up with a late pick this year.

As the season draws to an end, a good time to reflect on what went right and wrong at the Jets this year.

First, the big effort from the admin and coaching staff to raise the level of professionalism - fail. No point talking about how professional your going to be and then setting low standards that are not even enforced and therefore, not met.

Second, match day. Fail. Gone from absolute rubbish to just plain poor. I have NEVER seen such a poor use of team runners. The coach has 2 running messages, but the rotations are done by screaming at the top of your voice to players on the field to "swap wings" or "come off". And how players are thrown from position to position for no apparent reason. Shades of 2009. Pointless. Stepping up your defence, playing man on man at clearances when your behind gives teams NO CHANCE of winning. It just means getting beat by 8 goals instead of 10.

Third-team performance - Fail. Not a good list by any means, but should have won another 2-4 games. How many times at the start of the season did we lose by having one poor quarter??? Not being able to win sometimes means your just not good enough. Not being able to get your team to perform at its best is poor coaching.

Good points - Rotations became more organised as the year progressed, and the amount of absolute confusion on the part of the players decreased. Also, about mid-season, coaches coached, and team managers managed. Refreshing to see the team manager out of the coaches box.

2011. Well....Some good bottom age players staying for there second year. Will Hoskin-Elliot, Elliot Kavenaugh....very draftable. Add Dorgan, Smith, Jawad, Taylor...nice midfield. Jones, Blackney, Stretton and you have some height. Just, for Gods sake.....don't let these kids sit in the "Rehab" group all summer because they think they are something special. Those that did it last year ( and there were plenty) were found out. I will not miss them.

Spot on FM....thats because some players are either stereotyped or disregarded by the jets "talent watchers" who wouldnt know a football from a soccer ball. We have spoken on this forum until the cows come home about the jets idea of development or lack there-of and their desire to play players in 8 positions a game. The players who either dont make the list or dont get a regular game go back to their local clubs and do well because they are allowed to play footy in an environment where they play to win for each other, the team and the club unlike the jets where garden gnomes tell them each week they are playing for their careers and where the majority make up the numbers because the focus is on one or two kids to try and get them drafted. Kids want to play at the jets cos they see it as their meal ticket...not because they like it
And that my friend, is reflected in the 2010 season.

It appears as though Kretiuk might be moved on at the end of the season, but maybe the heart of the problem is their Regional Manager who has been there for an eternity and overseen year after year of on field failure.

The Jets can chew coaches up and spit them out every couple of years, and blame the playing groups year after year for lacking commitment...but perhaps the administration and recruiting is where the problem lies?

I think you only need to look at the Sandy Dragons who got a new Regional Manager in for this year to see how that club has transformed itself - both on and off the field.

I want to see the Jets succeed, but like most who follow the TAC Cup I'm sick of seeing them be so far off the pace. But making the coach the scapegoat is an easy cop out.

It appears as though Kretiuk might be moved on at the end of the season, but maybe the heart of the problem is their Regional Manager who has been there for an eternity and overseen year after year of on field failure.

The Jets can chew coaches up and spit them out every couple of years, and blame the playing groups year after year for lacking commitment...but perhaps the administration and recruiting is where the problem lies?

I think you only need to look at the Sandy Dragons who got a new Regional Manager in for this year to see how that club has transformed itself - both on and off the field.

I want to see the Jets succeed, but like most who follow the TAC Cup I'm sick of seeing them be so far off the pace. But making the coach the scapegoat is an easy cop out.
This is a program that needs an overhaul, not one or two replaced. By no means is it just a coaching problem or an administrative problem. It is a "Cultural" or attitude problem, and when you completely turn over the playing list ever 2 years, the players can't be blamed for that. I stand by my comments....lack of standards and a bigger lack of the ability to enforce them. I think the coach Steve Kretiuk has a lot to offer, but needs more real support. I'd ask anyone that has been there 5 years or so to move on. They obviously have nothing more to give.

I purposely kept away from the Jets this year as I had no doubt that except for a couple of younger age players there was not much quality.

Instead watched the WRFL developement squads closely and sadly observed that the level of coaching is still very thin to say the least.

The WRFL insist on calling for volunteers for these very important positions instead of getting of their butts and looking at the coaches around the league and offering the best coaches an opportunity to coach the sides.

At least this year the majority of the squads were selected from the A grade top teams and except for some obvious exceptions the squads accurately reflected the depth of talent in the WRFL.

The Jets administration doesn't seem willing to exert the necessary influence on the WRFL or their clubs. As a result young footballers in the West are being disadvantaged.

As the season draws to an end, a good time to reflect on what went right and wrong at the Jets this year.

First, the big effort from the admin and coaching staff to raise the level of professionalism - fail. No point talking about how professional your going to be and then setting low standards that are not even enforced and therefore, not met.

Completely agree. I think the players have done a remarkable job to respect the coach and other staff even when it is not shown from the top. The Jets have the potential to be a great side but you could imagine how conflicting it is when the general manager is coaching and getting involved in recruitment when really he should just stick to the management of the club and leave it to the people who the club have hired to do the job they are being paid for.

Change is needed at the club - personally the club should have stuck to the blue and yellow polo shirts - the grey looks terrible and oversized on all the players and staff.

Apparenlty there were many times during the season in which players wanted to take initiative and do more team bonding activities and actually go on a camp (not a two day seminar at Victoria University.) These suggestions were not even thought about which is a shame.

Hopefully next week the boys will be able to get up and win a final and do it for Ben Casely who injuried his shoulder in Gippsland last week.

AWARD WINNERS
Barry Round Medal - Jordan Mead
Runner Up - Adam Kennedy
Most Improved - Dylan Jones
Most Consistent - Ben Casley
Most Courageous - Justin Morris
Coach's Award - Mitchell Turnbull
Trainer's Award - Josh Huxtable
Club Person of the Year - Meaghan Whelan & Jesse Campisi
U15 Player of the Year - Jake Greiser
U16 Player of the Year - Fabian Brancatisano
U16 State Representatives - Lachlan Hunter, Fabian Brancatisano & Anthony Piva
U18 State Representatives - Dylan Conway & Elliott Kavanagh

AWARD WINNERS
Barry Round Medal - Jordan Mead
Runner Up - Adam Kennedy
Most Improved - Dylan Jones
Most Consistent - Ben Casley
Most Courageous - Justin Morris
Coach's Award - Mitchell Turnbull
Trainer's Award - Josh Huxtable
Club Person of the Year - Meaghan Whelan & Jesse Campisi
U15 Player of the Year - Jake Greiser
U16 Player of the Year - Fabian Brancatisano
U16 State Representatives - Lachlan Hunter, Fabian Brancatisano & Anthony Piva
U18 State Representatives - Dylan Conway & Elliott Kavanagh
Matt Smith was also a U18 State Rep this year with the Northern Territory.

Looking through the list for the 2011 summer training sqauds for the 15 & 16s...why is their players from sunbury and rupertswood being selected...dont they come under the Calder cannons region??

and looking at this years U/18 tac cup sqaud

David House - club - Lancefield (Calder region?)
M. Hernandez - Northcote?
Taylor Jones - St kevins Old Boys?
Matthew Smith - Seymour (Calder/bendigo/Murray?)

Whats the deal...someone shed some light please. i know House got cut by the Cannons pre-season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking through the list for the 2011 summer training sqauds for the 15 & 16s...why is their players from sunbury and rupertswood being selected...dont they come under the Calder cannons region??

and looking at this years U/18 tac cup sqaud

David House - club - Lancefield (Calder region?)
M. Hernandez - Northcote?
Taylor Jones - St kevins Old Boys?
Matthew Smith - Seymour (Calder/bendigo/Murray?)

Whats the deal...someone shed some light please. i know House got cut by the Cannons pre-season?
Your TAC team is dictated by where you actally live, not the club you come from. I believe some clubs such as Keilor have players in two clubs. Keilor have some in both Cannons and Jets.
House and Jones were both cut from other lists. Smith moved into the area over the summer from Seymour (Murray Bushrangers).

I'm not sure about Hernandez.

What was the deal with David House?..played 3 games in april (got in the best once) and wasnt seen since!

And is Kretiuk coaching them next year and is Shane Sexton again regional manager?

If Sexton just does his team manager job and keeps his finger out of selection and coaching, things might improve. I don't think he will move on though.

I see the training squad for 2011 is in the public domain, anyone know who the 19yo's are???

My unconfirmed info is:
Josh Huxtable
Lachlan Fairley
Courtney Hilton
Adam Kennedy
Jordan Mead.

All good if true. Huxtable deserves another go after a injury/illness riddled season, Fairley is a very good tall key defender, Hilton has finished school so will be available for more games this year, Kennedy is a gun (might go in the draft), and Mead is this years B&F. The important thing is that all these guys have a good attitude and work ethic. A much better bunch than last years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back