Remove this Banner Ad

2012 list management.

🥰 Love BigFooty? Join now for free.

I have seen Tom Nicholls play this year and I would say that he has the most potential of all the rucks at the Suns.

I will preface my comment with that Charlie Dixon is a jet, however I see him more in the forward line and pinch hit ruckman when needed. He can also play in defence if needed.

Nichol's palming of the ball is first class and he seems to position himself around the ground to take contested marks.

At 20 years old and 200cm plus he has all the attributes of a first class ruckmen needs.

I tend to agree GTB :thumbsu:

Nicholls was always taken as a project player, meaning to me that the club envisaged him taking more time to come up to league standard. Just because he looks to be on the end of our ruck line, with the least amount of match time to this point, doesn't necessarily mean that he should be de-listed, or that we have too many rucks. That said, I think I recall Harty? saying that he hadn't come on as quickly as had been hoped.
 
More stuff RE: Viney.
MELBOURNE has reiterated its long-held position that it will take the best available player with its first pick in this year's draft.

According to reports in The Age on Thursday morning the Suns are seriously considering making a bid on the youngster, happy to either get Viney or force the Demons to use pick No.3 on him.

But the club's position remains the same as it was in July when Harrington first spoke to AFL.com.au about their intention in relation to pick 3.

"We pick the very best player at that pick. Supporters would demand that," Harrington said at the time.

A group of AFL recruiters spoken to individually by AFL.com.au valued Viney as being worth anywhere from a No.6 to No.8 pick but admitted he could be rated higher if a club was in the need for a strong, inside midfielder such as Viney.

One recruiter said no club could go wrong with a player such as Viney.
 

Log in to remove this Banner Ad

i dont think we should go anywhere near viney.. as soon as his contracts up he will be straight back down to melbourne..
Easy, just sign him up for ten years ;)
 
i dont think we should go anywhere near viney.. as soon as his contracts up he will be straight back down to melbourne..

Not so sure about that, if Melbounre wasn't willing to give up the No3 pick to ensure they grabbed him, it would surely show him that they really dont value him very highly. In fact could be a spur to stick it right up them.
 
Not so sure about that, if Melbounre wasn't willing to give up the No3 pick to ensure they grabbed him, it would surely show him that they really dont value him very highly. In fact could be a spur to stick it right up them.

doubt that.. family and friends play a bigger part than that, who is to say in 2 years time he doesnt go to hawthorn or the pies.. just to get back to melbourne
 
doubt that.. family and friends play a bigger part than that, who is to say in 2 years time he doesnt go to hawthorn or the pies.. just to get back to melbourne

But on that basis we would never recruit anyone from outside Qld
 
But on that basis we would never recruit anyone from outside Qld
It's different when a kid is a father/son pick to a normal no strings attached draft pick. I personally wouldn't take Viney, loved watching his old man play for the Demons, and I don't actually like the rumours circulating regarding the Suns possibly picking him up/pressuring the Dees to take him early. Family dynasties at AFL clubs are a dying breed and a great part of our game. Let Viney go to the Dees, football is becoming too business orientated, we need to keep a few traditions going.

There is nothing better than when you go back to your home town in the country and watch fathers playing alongs side sons, or seeing 3-4 family members along side each other in the same team. Great pride for the club.
 
Does anyone know exactly how many players are coming off contract this trade period......Have there been any recent extensions that are yet to be announced.
 
Does anyone know exactly how many players are coming off contract this trade period......Have there been any recent extensions that are yet to be announced.

Look at our contract thread. OP is pretty up to date I think. Though some of those contracts will likely be renewed without us being told about them, probably. IE: Warnock, Stanley. If they haven't been renewed already.
 

Remove this Banner Ad

So this trades period we have to cut the list from 46 down to 39, then increase back up to 42 with 3 new draftees.

Delisted:
Josh Fraser
Andrew McQualter
Nathan Krakouer
Michael Coad

Gone via trade:
Josh Caddy
Josh Toy
Haydn Jolly

Remaining possible trade bait to reduce list to get deals done???
Moss
Flanagan
Nicholls
Magin
Hine
Hutchins
Gorringe
Weller


Incoming:
Jaeger O'Meara
Kurt Tippett
Draft pick x 1
Draft pick x 2
Draft pick x 3

So we may only end up recruiting 1 experienced player this trades period if the club wants to cut/trade the bare minimum? Do supporters think that is enough, or should we be trying to shed a few more fringe/surplus players and attempting to bolster the list with more experienced bodies, like an Armitage/Gibson, etc as previously suggested. But to that, we need to cut/trade more players... who though?!
 
After what I saw last night I wouldn't mind if the club went after Goldsack. Haven't seen him play to often but does he have any ability behind the ball as well?
Maybe toy and Nicholls for Goldsack.
 
After what I saw last night I wouldn't mind if the club went after Goldsack. Haven't seen him play to often but does he have any ability behind the ball as well?
Maybe toy and Nicholls for Goldsack.

Yeh Goldsack really does have some talent, and so versatile. The Pies were so much better with him in defense instead of Maxwell... that's awkward!

If Cloke goes during trades, and with Tarrant retiring at seasons end, I just cant see the Pies willing to let him go. I guess if the trade was right and they wanted to free up some salary cap.

Current Pies 2nd ruck Cam Wood isn't real flash. But they do have a few young rucks on the their list already, including the 19yo 208cm goliath Jarrod Witts from NSW. Who knows!
 
Yeh Goldsack really does have some talent, and so versatile. The Pies were so much better with him in defense instead of Maxwell... that's awkward!
No, they don't, at all. Sorry, but Maxwell to then is just like our Campbell Brown. He's ghastly underrated by opposition supporters because we don't see how much he does off the ball. They would crumble in a season without him. He's just like Tom Harley. I hate the pies and all that but Maxwell would start at every club. Anyway..
CQSUN Goldsack has played as a backman his whole career. This season is the first time he's played forward at all, save for probably one other game. He's just a good honest true footballer who provides a contest. Love that type of player.
 
Thanks dw, I honestly have no clue about any of the pies players, to me it sounds like Goldsack is pretty much exactly what we need. A hard at it honest footballer, has some height but is pretty athletic and is extremely versatile. He is also in the right age bracket.
 
So this trades period we have to cut the list from 46 down to 39, then increase back up to 42 with 3 new draftees.

Delisted:
Josh Fraser
Andrew McQualter
Nathan Krakouer
Michael Coad

Gone via trade:
Josh Caddy
Josh Toy
Haydn Jolly

Remaining possible trade bait to reduce list to get deals done???
Moss
Flanagan
Nicholls
Magin
Hine
Hutchins
Gorringe
Weller


Incoming:
Jaeger O'Meara
Kurt Tippett
Draft pick x 1
Draft pick x 2
Draft pick x 3

So we may only end up recruiting 1 experienced player this trades period if the club wants to cut/trade the bare minimum? Do supporters think that is enough, or should we be trying to shed a few more fringe/surplus players and attempting to bolster the list with more experienced bodies, like an Armitage/Gibson, etc as previously suggested. But to that, we need to cut/trade more players... who though?!

If we only count the listed players (not rookies), then another 5 players have to be delisted from the list.

Gone are:
Josh Caddy
Josh Toy
Hayden Jolly
Josh Fraser
Nathan Krakouer

While the above 5 players have chosen to move on, it is a really tough and sad job to find another 5 players. Hopefully they will all find new AFL homes.
 

🥰 Love BigFooty? Join now for free.

I think Moss is one to add to the 'gone' list. Its not looking good for Iles either, although very undeserving of being de-listed.
 
Sorry, but Maxwell to then is just like our Campbell Brown. He's ghastly underrated by opposition supporters because we don't see how much he does off the ball.

Maxy likes to break peoples noses off the ball, just like Browny! They are very similar indeed hehe. Ah just joking around.

It's all good, I'm just not a huge fan of Maxwell, and I think Goldsack added a bit of spark to their defence last night. Would love Goldy on a back flank at the Suns.
 
I think Moss is one to add to the 'gone' list. Its not looking good for Iles either, although very undeserving of being de-listed.

Yeah , cannot see Moss getting another contract , cant see Flanagan on the list either , there's 7 without cutting to deep.
 

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

🥰 Love BigFooty? Join now for free.

Back
Top Bottom