2012 South Australian Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

I was there and it didn't look too good. He was in a fair deal of pain, didn't get stretchered off which surprised me.

He is CLEARLY in the top 5 on football talent but won't go that high because of his injury now. Massive shame.

Roy Laird said its behind the knee - they think top of the calf strain/tear.

Hope for Troy's sake he hasn't done another ACL.

I tend to agree with Chris25, late first early second still around the mark, he's in the top half dozen in pure talent so the knee issues will make him slide, but there will be a point where someone takes the risk.

Attended the Central District slaughter at the hands of a VERY fast North Adelaide outfit. 12 consecutive grand finals winning 9 of them. It was a bloody good era, I kinda feel like I've broken up with my GF after 12 years....it's very strange.

Players of note:

Mitch Clisby - If this bloke doesn't get picked up, I'll throw away my scouters hat. He was superb, you could have sworn an AFL veteran of 200+ games was running off half-back today. Cut through multiple players on the rebound at a time and barely missed a kick and made very good decisions under pressure. Really took the game on, didn't chip it around and struggle to find options, he created them and then hit them. Really great kick, prob the best look I've had at him today and I was very impressed.

James Bennett - No doubt will get lumped with the 'he's too old' tag but he is wasting his time in the SANFL. Clearance machine, solid body, runs all day and good skills, could walk into a lot of AFL sides and just play straight away. Best game I've seen him play today.

Sam Mayes - We all know how good this kid is and today he didn't quite produce what he is capable of. Started on another draft candidate in Paul Marschall and probably had the better of him initially. Even in the end I think. Mayes lead hard and marked very strongly overhead like a power forward, he really does have a big leap for a lad his size. But his kicking was very poor today, lots of direct turnovers under minimal pressure and at one stage got turned inside out by Eddie Sansbury. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing but I think he will learn. His hands were very deft though and you can see him sizing up the play probably about 2-3 seconds quicker than everyone else out there, he did put himself in the most dangerous spot around every contest, particularly near goals.

Nick Amato - I am definitely not his biggest fan but today he did play pretty well, got in dangerous positions and nailed 3 goals with good skills, prob the best I have seen him kick. Hope he can keep it up, might be worth a rookie spot.

Max Thring - Is the next James Allan potentially. Ability to get a lot of the pill but can be scrubby as well. Played a blinder though but not AFL material.

Paul Marschall - Started with a couple of terrible kicks, his first a kickout went straight to a north player who sent it back over his head for a goal. Got into it as the game wore on and took a fair few nice marks stopping North forward thrusts. Set up other attacks with good kicking placement to runners out wide or in the middle, bombed one about 60m into the wind. He is the sort of footballer who I think will always be a better AFL player than SANFL player. He will love the more open style in the AFL. A must draft, big lad too, quite tall for a flanker.

Luke Habel - Always a fan of a good dual-sided player and he was just about the dogs best today, there certainly wern't many others. Ran hard all over the ground, even though he didn't get much of the pill (13 touches 2 behinds) (hard when you lose by 88 btw) he was very neat and hit his targets. Tried all game.

Saw half the Norwood V West game but had to walk out at half time because you could have built Noah's Ark with the flooding that was going on.

James Aish - was great in that first half, for the first time he actually won some hardball. Beaut skills and silky smooth mover. I hope he doesn't end up like Cale Morton because at times, I feel he is headed down that path, but did put his head over it today. I know he is a true outside player but he can be a bit slow at times. But sensational first half. Only 4 touches in the second though (but I didn't see them)

I am interested to gather your thoughts everyone on two of the lesser discussed inside mids for this years draft - Nathan Stark and Todd McKay.

Both have had interesting years with Stark really blossoming and improving his outside game and work rate and McKay being cruelled somewhat by an early season medial ligament injury - returning to the South Adelaide senior side in the remaining few rounds but unable to show his runnign game due to South's structures and game plan.

What are your thoughts from what you have seen this year?

Stark - I don't mind this kid, he works inside and outside quite well and has good pace, could develop into an attacking wingman or half-forward if given a role and allowed to develop. I like him for a late or rookie pick.

McKay - Whilst he is a good built, and has great hands, I do not think he gets enough of the footy to be a midfielder at AFL level, he simply needs to find it more and do more with it. Great tackler also but I wouldn't draft him (see Waldhuter) because he needs to impact games more.

I quite like Todd McKay (yes, I also liked Josh Waldhuter and Steve Rusca). I think if he hadn't have injured himself so early in the season, then he would have really enhanced his draft stock. But instead, there is little to go on other than his form as an underaged kid playing seniors. I'd still take the chance with him, but maybe more towards the rookie draft.

Nathan Stark was probably one of the beneficiaries of McKay missing the Championships, because he got a chance to shine in the midfield. And he looked pretty good. I don't think he quite has the speed or strength of Lachie Neale, but has shown enough to at least be a rookie pick.

Mitch Clisby - If this bloke doesn't get picked up, I'll throw away my scouters hat. He was superb, you could have sworn an AFL veteran of 200+ games was running off half-back today. Cut through multiple players on the rebound at a time and barely missed a kick and made very good decisions under pressure. Really took the game on, didn't chip it around and struggle to find options, he created them and then hit them. Really great kick, prob the best look I've had at him today and I was very impressed.

Rebounding Half back is exactly what the crows currently lack. Definitely sounds promising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris + Co

Thoughts on Minnuzzo, won West Adelaide B and F U18's last year as a first year U18s
State coach didnt like his attitude, was in and out of West Best this year and think he played some reserves?

Rookie chance?

And thoughts on Moyle from South? or is he next year

Chris + Co

Thoughts on Minnuzzo, won West Adelaide B and F U18's last year as a first year U18s
State coach didnt like his attitude, was in and out of West Best this year and think he played some reserves?

Rookie chance?

And thoughts on Moyle from South? or is he next year

Minuzzo was very stiff to not even be selected in the academy team at the start of the year due to his great form last year but was a bit off the ball with form this year. Couldnt even get a starting role in best 22 at west adelaide edged out by O. Johnson, N. Brown and a bottom ager J. Evans who are all good footballers. He outstanding with his decision making, fitness and goal sense but struggles to get it myself sometimes relying on other players to get it to him, small body shape doesnt help ethier. I would highly doubt that he would be selected as a rookie but there is hope. Hopefully we can see him crack into the league side at some stage next year

Players of note:

How old is he?

First sanfl I watched all year and was really impressed by this guy more than anyone. Thought he must be too old because I haven't heard his name mentioned. Very quick and seemed to have to best footskills on the ground.

Also, Marschall I think it was from the dogs? Some Barossa sounding name anyway. Never seen him before but again I'd throw him in the same basket as Clisby. Wasn't sure if he was too old? Like you said, did a couple of poor kicks early and I thought he wasn't anything special but as the game went on, I really rated his game. Big body, big kick and looked very solid as a defender. Made some very experienced decisions.

Clisby tore it up again today, I don't think he missed a kick, even though they did lose. For mine he is like Van Berlo, but a better kick and a true half-back.

Mayes another average game by his standards. He was reasonable but missed a lot of kicks today. Spread very well though.

Amato fought for it and tackled well, his kicking again better today than it has been all season.

SANFL U18s Grand Final was played this morning. It was a decent game, bit sloppy at times but it was close. With the Eagles beating Sturt by 6 points. In terms of the players...

BOG was Matthew Appleton for Woodville. It's hard to go past someone who gets 38 disposals and 16 clearances. He is an interesting prospect though. He is currently 19, and will be 20 by the time the season starts next year. So he is an overaged player, and you can really tell out on the ground - he might not be the biggest guy out there, but he is strong and has a mature body. The problem I have is that he played in the SANFL Reserves last year, but has gone back to the U18s this year. For someone who was overlooked at last years draft (I did float his name up as a rookie selection) he really needed to go up to the Seniors instead of the other way. He is a great athlete though, and a solid footballer - like a Nathan van Berlo. He should be in with a shot as a rookie selection again this year.

Matt McDonough really is just too good for U18s, and the same is true about Brodie Grundy. Very little should be taken from their performances today, because quite frankly they should have dominated. Both are just too strong. And while McDonough looked good running further up the ground, he should have finished with more than 4 goals.

I've been talking him up for a while now, but Jarrod Lienert just continues to impress me. I still think he should have gotten a Combine invite rather than a State Screening, and I don't know why he isn't talked about more. I think he'll develop into a 3rd tall down back at AFL level, but that's not to say he couldn't get stronger and be a proper KPD. But his rebounding work is really good and at the moment is the highlight of his game - 25 disposals and 13 rebounds from defensive 50 today, and that wasn't as a loose man either. Didn't get to show it today, but he can go forward too.

The other talls I liked were Tasman Fitzgerald, Jake Atkinson and Josh Archer - so really, the same ones I've been talking about all year. All would likely be rookie selections. Fitzgerald is a hard working CHF, Atkinson a ruckman and Archer a KPD. So a bit for everyone.

And because I know one particular poster will ask, I thought Patrick Wilson was OK. Although I think the stats sheet might look a little better than his actual game. Not that he was bad, he just didn't stand out and I've seen better games from him. Seemed like a lot of his touches were from running around the back of the player who marked it and getting a handball - as opposed to winning it himself. His decision making seemed a little off today too. He is a good athlete though, maybe not elite speed but he runs hard. I liken him to a Harry O'Brien type - good, but not great in any one area. I think he'll go late in the National Draft though, just based on what he could potentially become.

As for next year, Dwayne Wilson was his usual threatening self. Whenever he touched it, it looked like something would happen. Luke Dunstan was fairly prolific, but probably didn't have his same impact as usual. Malcolm Karpany was impressive, reminds me of Matthew Rankine (who I liked) but hopefully he can maybe develop a little further next year.

As for next year, Dwayne Wilson was his usual threatening self. Whenever he touched it, it looked like something would happen. Luke Dunstan was fairly prolific, but probably didn't have his same impact as usual. Malcolm Karpany was impressive, reminds me of Matthew Rankine (who I liked) but hopefully he can maybe develop a little further next year.

Completely agree with the statement Wilson is a threatening player but next year would like to see him win some of his own footy and get a bit more of it, think if he did that sky is the limit for the kid

SANFL U18s Grand Final was played this morning. It was a decent game, bit sloppy at times but it was close. With the Eagles beating Sturt by 6 points. In terms of the players...

BOG was Matthew Appleton for Woodville. It's hard to go past someone who gets 38 disposals and 16 clearances. He is an interesting prospect though. He is currently 19, and will be 20 by the time the season starts next year. So he is an overaged player, and you can really tell out on the ground - he might not be the biggest guy out there, but he is strong and has a mature body. The problem I have is that he played in the SANFL Reserves last year, but has gone back to the U18s this year. For someone who was overlooked at last years draft (I did float his name up as a rookie selection) he really needed to go up to the Seniors instead of the other way. He is a great athlete though, and a solid footballer - like a Nathan van Berlo. He should be in with a shot as a rookie selection again this year.

Matt McDonough really is just too good for U18s, and the same is true about Brodie Grundy. Very little should be taken from their performances today, because quite frankly they should have dominated. Both are just too strong. And while McDonough looked good running further up the ground, he should have finished with more than 4 goals.

I've been talking him up for a while now, but Jarrod Lienert just continues to impress me. I still think he should have gotten a Combine invite rather than a State Screening, and I don't know why he isn't talked about more. I think he'll develop into a 3rd tall down back at AFL level, but that's not to say he couldn't get stronger and be a proper KPD. But his rebounding work is really good and at the moment is the highlight of his game - 25 disposals and 13 rebounds from defensive 50 today, and that wasn't as a loose man either. Didn't get to show it today, but he can go forward too.

The other talls I liked were Tasman Fitzgerald, Jake Atkinson and Josh Archer - so really, the same ones I've been talking about all year. All would likely be rookie selections. Fitzgerald is a hard working CHF, Atkinson a ruckman and Archer a KPD. So a bit for everyone.

And because I know one particular poster will ask, I thought Patrick Wilson was OK. Although I think the stats sheet might look a little better than his actual game. Not that he was bad, he just didn't stand out and I've seen better games from him. Seemed like a lot of his touches were from running around the back of the player who marked it and getting a handball - as opposed to winning it himself. His decision making seemed a little off today too. He is a good athlete though, maybe not elite speed but he runs hard. I liken him to a Harry O'Brien type - good, but not great in any one area. I think he'll go late in the National Draft though, just based on what he could potentially become.

was at the game and patrick wilson played pretty poorly... maybe one positive was "ok" shutdown role on his opponent

If Leinert played in Victoria, I'm sure others would rate (or overrate) him similarly - although I tend to think that about a lot of the 'second tier' SA kids.

Also, I had planned on writing about one other player in my review, but completely forgot - Brad Hartman. I wrote about him about 6 weeks ago on the back of a 30 disposal and 8 goal game. And, there is seriously something special about this kid in my opinion. He is a 188cm/85kg forward who finished second in the goalkicking with 52 from 18 games. But more importantly, the kid is actually a surprisingly good athlete - he isn't just an undersized marking forward. He helped out in the ruck today, and didn't do too badly with his leap. Also went down back for a little bit in the second half. He wasn't picked in the SA squad, so obviously has gotten zero attention yet (I considered saving him for the BigFooty Phantom Draft) but he almost reminds me of Shaun Burgoyne when he used to go to full forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back