Match Discussion 2012 VAFA Premier C 2nd Semi Fitzroy V Parkdale

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly hope we can turn things around next week. Looks like a substantially more difficult task now, that's for sure.

I have cancelled all my Saturday Morning appointments for three weeks. Better to be prepared for any combination of results of our three semi-final sides than have to re arrange both patients and staff. So it was down to Sandringham to watch our beloved Roys. I missed the first ten minutes of the Thirds, but I was soon in footy heaven as the magical sound of “ball” followed by “yeah” soon caressed the ears of derrinalphil. “Pick up number seventy,” yelled the bloke standing next to me. I ask you, why do people go to the AFL?

They have dug up the cricket pitch at Sandy. The Sandringham Cricket Club folded many years ago but Pete, not young master derrinalphil, but the Pete, who is a member of the tram conductors, told me he once hit a six over cover at this ground. Hit it onto Beach Road he reckoned. Told me he also used to spend many a winter’s Sunday afternoon, after cricket season had finished, sipping beers at the social club as all the cricket club members got a free Sandy Footy Membership. Now this last bit I can believe.

One of the goal umpires in the Thirds was Mark Thornhill, a cricketer of note. Mark is one of the stalwarts of Emmanuel South Oakleigh Cricket Club, a gentleman and sportsman of the highest order, and I took delight in being at the footy amongst friends of all colours, even those white maggots. Remember I am not talking about Lawyers.

The Third’s game was a ripper. We started well, being two goals in front at quarter time. St Kevin’s had the breeze in the second quarter and went in with a two point advantage at the long break. During the third quarter, St Kevin’s, despite going into the breeze, seemed to have our measure, and several undisciplined acts looked likely to cost us dearly. However we kept persisting, and a late goal, against the run of play, by Max Oliver brought us to the third quarter break eight points up.

St Kevin’s attacked incessantly for the first fifteen minutes of the last quarter. We only went inside fifty once in this period but, as dominate as St Kevin’s were, around the ground, our defense did not crumble. Finally Brownie got on the end of one in the goal square and banged it through. Now I hate all midfielders, especially those lairs and show ponies like Brownie, but he did kick “the sealer.” He took the necessary risk to win the game. He could visualise what needed to be done. A late goal by Dan Morgan iced the win, a win against the odds, a win against the run of play, and if this doesn’t give these lads an unshakeable belief I give up.

The morning was over and we had disposed of one lot of Catholics and another mob of Catholics, Marcellin, ran on to take on our undefeated seconds. We Roy Boys played the Catholics, the Roman Catholics and nothing but the Catholics in our first two games of the day. Now, my Mum was a Roman Catholic and she had a few mannerisms that would be instantly recognisable to a “Mick.” If she cut herself preparing tea she would not show any sign of annoyance or pain and simply say a prayer (a “Hail Mary” for all you Heathens reading this). Mum reckoned she would get thousands of years less suffering in purgatory by these acts. Purgatory or hell was soon to arrive in the senior game, but, that is in the future.

At quarter time it looked like Marcellin should be saying “Ave, derrinalphil, morituri te salutant.” We were killing them with our incessant run, overlap, and spread. The Eastern Distributor, playing with buggered hamstrings, joined in the fun taking a strong mark and kicking a long goal. He then ran off and sat on the bench showing that the AFL is a communicable disease.

Down came the rain in the second quarter and the match turned. We could no longer play our pretty brand of footy; mistakes crept in. We continually hung onto the ball too long, missed our handball targets and did not seem to be able to adapt to the changed conditions.

At 12.54 it happened; the seconds lost the lead for the first time this season and went into three quarter time fifteen points down. Precisely forty minutes later, at 1.34, we grabbed the lead back and ran over the top of them. Wasn’t it great to see Speckie’s sealing goal where he banged out of the ground, into the Tea Trees that line the City side of the Oval. Up to this time all was well, and, Rob arrived to inform us that the bar was open.

The seniors came out in that awful jumper (Could I ask Rick the Click to post a photo of it?) but, in the first quarter, they were still the side that finished second and with the highest percentage. I could still recognise them. Parkdale dominated the first ten minutes but we were up and running, bashing our way forward. This was typified late in the first quarter where we bashed and crashed several forward line contests and the ball finished squirting out to Rory who coolly slotted the goal. Nine points up at quarter time which I thought flattered Parkdale whose kicking for goal all day was exceptional.

The rest of the game was awful to watch for a Fitzroy fan. We were forty four points down at half time, which just happens to be the margin that Carlton was down to the Pies in the 1970 Grand Final. Where were our Teddie Hopkins, Jeza, and Wes Lofts? Nowhere to be seen unfortunately. Our play was typified in the last quarter when Frazier dropped an easy chest mark, Jimmy O pounced on the spillage and, under no pressure, coolly kicked it out on the full.

Brian and Fletch, those downhill skiers, fair weather supporters had had enough and left before the final siren. I didn’t join them as I wanted to hear what the coach had to say.

On a personal note a bloke called Bruce came up to me to say hello. We apparently met out at the Whitten Oval in ’96 and stood together for several games. I could not remember him (I try to put that season out of my mind) but he remembered Mrs derrinalphil and the two boys. He has wanted to come to a game for years and what a pity that his first one back would lead him to believe nothing has changed.

Do you realise that we have witnessed a 272 point turn around in the last two weeks? I ask you “how can that be explained?” What is it about our sport that allows these wild swings in form? I have no idea but a few years ago Xavier beat De La by seventy points in the second semi. They met two weeks later in the Grannie and while, the Catholics from Kew, finished up winning by a point or two, they were lucky to win. We can turn this around.

Go the Redders.

I ventured out yesterday and as Derrinalphil says, after 1/4 time we didn't give a yelp. A couple of things that really stood out yesterday that need to be addressed by next week:

1. Too often players didn't have the confidence to take the "first option" with disposal and as a consequence they played themselves into trouble or sold someone else into strife. There was an absence of run and a lack of willingness to go direct at times.

2. The forward set up was a disaster. We were far too small in attack and couldn't buy a mark inside 50 and never really looked like it when the ball was on the deck. Two goals after 1/4 time says it all.

The way forward:

Having watched the last 1/4 of the seconds, I was struck by the number of goals that came from solid contested marks that came from inside 50. The Reserves had a great win and I would be looking at elevating a number of players into the firsts next week, especially if they can hold down the Full Forward / Centre Half Forward positions.

Clearly all is not lost, but a more of the same approach at the selection table will cost us big time, irrespective of who we play.

P.S. Phoned in and had a quick yack to Ian Cover and some other bloke on ABC 774 about some classic Fitzroy Finals performances on the way to the game yesterday. They wanted highlights, so I gave them 1986 Elimination Final win over Essendon (a no brainer really) and Bernie Quinlan's performance in the 1983 Qualifying Final, which they seemed to know less about. As people will remember Bernie kicked 8 for the game and an amazing 5 in the last quarter, in what I still rate as the greatest individual performance I have ever seen in a final. If it wasn't for the cheating umps, we would have won this one. Anyway, the hosts seemed interested and said on air that they might try and get an interview with Quinlan. I hope they do.

Do i have to post a photo of that Phil? Just picture a vintage black and white shot of Vomit, that's close enough...
The result suited the decision to wear those jumpers... $h1thouse!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

P.S. Phoned in and had a quick yack to Ian Cover and some other bloke on ABC 774 about some classic Fitzroy Finals performances on the way to the game yesterday. They wanted highlights, so I gave them 1986 Elimination Final win over Essendon (a no brainer really) and Bernie Quinlan's performance in the 1984 Qualifying Final, which they seemed to know less about. As people will remember Bernie kicked 8 for the game and an amazing 5 in the last quarter, in what I still rate as the greatest individual performance I have ever seen in a final. If it wasn't for the cheating umps, we would have won this one. Anyway, the hosts seemed interested and said on air that they might try and get an interview with Quinlan. I hope they do.
Heard it - took me to a good place (86) and then to a bad place (83). Still got angry and flipped on a CD before the FATAL MOMENT ... Hey Bulldog by Lennon. Thought of Kevin Murray - and pondered how good would B Quinlan be in today's footy. The boys can turn it around and make the GF in ALL grades.

Let's talk turkey.

I would bring in Speckie, Racovalis(incorrect spelling?) and Toby Two Dads.

Out would go Jessie D., Simcoe(he had to play on a bloke twice his size) and one other.

We have to play Mazenod. They killed us for size at their ground and a decision now needs to be made. Do we pack our side for size or go with our strengths which have been quick ball users. Polly may be in danger of dropping out but he was mentioned in the best players, not a award that I would have made. Josh was our only good player and Jimmy O gets an honourable mention for two goals.

Racovalis looked like a senior player.

What are you blokes worried about...Parkdale is going to beat you.... It's not going to matter which jumper you are wearing!

Do i have to post a photo of that Phil? Just picture a vintage black and white shot of Vomit, that's close enough...
The result suited the decision to wear those jumpers... $h1thouse!!!!
spot on!!! wore meaningless crap paid for jumpers and played accordingly! THANK YOU VAFA FOR NOTHING!! P.S CHANGING THE NUMBERS DID,NT CONFUSE ANYONE DID IT!WHAT A JOKE!!.WHY THE NUMBERS WERE CHANGED IS ALSO A QUESTION I DARE NOT ASK !!! GO ROYS!!!

What are you blokes worried about...Parkdale is going to beat you.... It's not going to matter which jumper you are wearing!

This has nothing to do with who wins or looses, its the pride of the jumper, its all about the jumper, the FFC logo... Coz these days thats all we have left, and that's why i pay my membership.

All you fitzroy fans should be happy they were wearing a clash strip during that disgraceful performance, it would of brought shame to the jumper. And their is no way you will make the grand final or move to B next year so you won't have to worry clashing with parkdale again.

I presume you have a connection with Parkdale. Given you have chosen to post on the Fitzroy board perhaps you'd like to provide some constructive insight as to which areas the Vultures have our number (apart from Saturday's scoreboard).

Either way Mobbs I gather it's the etiquette when writing on another club's board to be respectful and insightful rather than purely posting comments such that their team have or will be smashed in a certain game.

For what it's worth Jizzy, I geniunely welcome any constructive comments you have about the finals. If you are indeed a Mazenod supporter can you please enlighten us about the final minutes of the Marcellin contest which must have been enthralling. For what it's worth our board owes a lot to blokes such as Derrinalphil who provide terrific weekly summations of our matches for persons unable to attend games.

Either way Mobbs I gather it's the etiquette when writing on another club's board to be respectful and insightful rather than purely posting comments such that their team have or will be smashed in a certain game.

It all depends. As a mod I guage (can never remember how to spell that) how the regulars like to receive troll visitors, and weight that against site rules and, as you say, etiquette. if you lot like to spar away, I'll let some of this stand for a bit, even though its from a member who's just posted his first message on the site :D On the other hand, if regulars exhibit a more "closed shop" feel, I'll just kill such posts and maybe have the user banned fromthe board.

FWIW I picked Maz to beat Marc.Was always on the cards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back