Jun 25, 2009
Brunswick St Grandstand!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
website.jpg

John Clark to play 100th

Since starting his Maroon and Blue playing career at Brunswick St in 2007, John Clark or "Clarky" as he is affectionately known, will notch up game # 100 for the Fitzroy Football Club (Inc The Fitzroy Reds) as they tackle old rivals Rupertswood this Saturday at the mighty Brunswick St Oval.

After moving to Melbourne due to work commitments, and previously playing for his hometown Romsey and also Kyneton in the Bendigo League, Fitzroy sounded like a good place to have a kick and continue on his football career.

"The ground and connection to the old Fitzroy Footy Club was probably the key to me joining. I didn't know anyone at the club before I walked in but was made to feel very welcome by the coaches, players, staff and supporters from the word go.
I really enjoy playing for Fitzroy because it is a footy club which means a lot to a lot of people. The support we get at home and away games is like nothing else in local footy. There's a lot of good in Fitzroy".

When asked about his fondest Fitzroy memory in the lead up to the 100 game milestone, John lists running out in the 2009 Grand Final alongside brother Dan, and some of his now closest mates including current players Ben Atherton, James O'Reilly, and past player now assistant Coach Simon Kelleher right up there.

"The great friends I have made since joining the club is the most important thing I'll take out of my time here at Fitzroy."

How about season 2012 and beyond?

"There are some really good signs for this season. We've made a solid start but probably haven't played our best footy yet. The injection of new players is having a real positive impact and they are all great blokes. They have made a real difference and hopefully we can get it all together and go on to win a premiership. That'd be a nice way to wrap up my time at Fitzroy."

Get along and support John and the boys this Saturday as they tackle Rupertswood in Round 8 of the VAFA Premier C Home and Away season.

Action starts at 11:50 with the top of the ladder and undefeated Reserves, followed by the Seniors at 2:10.

Clarky, the only good thing to ever come out of Romsey,(except for possibly his brother, who can be more accurately described as dangerous) has been my sponsored player for all of the hundred games. I plan to share an ale with the boy after the game.

Go Redders.

THREE QUARTER TIME

Fitzroy 14-12-96
Rupertswood 5-7-37

mKDwal.gif

Oh hell yeah. This is domination! :D

Beat you to it mate ;)

CARN THE ROYS!

o4vI3S.gif

Good to see you put it up mate. Was engaged in a skirmish elsewhere ;)

Roys on the warpath again!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twas an impressive win by the boys today. The first half in particular was a clinical performance. With an unexpected win by Banyule over Parkdale today we have rocketed to second place. Carn the Roys!

Marcellin 8 7 1 0 187.03 28
Fitzroy 8 6 2 0 132.61 24
Old Camberwell 8 5 2 1 149.61 22
Parkdale Vultures 8 5 2 1 128.11 22
Mazenod 8 4 4 0 129.56 16
PEGS 8 4 4 0 118.33 16
Banyule 8 4 4 0 109.97 16
Rupertswood 8 3 5 0 87.42 12
Monash Blues 8 1 7 0 78.09 4
Hampton Rovers 8 0 8 0 20.83 0

Just posted the ladder up on the main Facebook page too.

Should be mostly regulation stuff over the next four rounds, but a big game shaping up against Marcellin in 6 weeks' time...

That w***er, and recipient of a medal from that great promoter of democracy and freedom the USSR, Manning Clark banged on about “blood on the wattle in his History of Australia. On Saturday there was blood on the table in front of me. There was blood on the tablecloth in front of me. There was blood on my “Amateur Footballer” record which drew the attention of Claire Adams the partner of Smailey, the captain of our 1980 premiership side.

Why was I bleeding? It revolved around the pizzas that I cooked for Mrs Derrinalphil and the offspring on Friday night. I use a few things including an antipasto mix, Bulgarian fetta and canned pineapple. One of my boys likes pineapple, and I know that it sounds so La Trobe University, but I am an equal opportunity Dad. I put a spoon in each of the various tubs of ingredients but I dropped the one in the canned pineapple slices onto the floor. Too lazy to get another spoon I plunged my hang into the can and cut my left, little pinkie. Now I always tell my patients, after having an implant placed or having a tooth out, that I only worry about bleeding I can hear!!!!! Claire had no sympathy for me. She reckoned if you are stupid enough to spoil a pizza by putting pineapple on it you get what you deserve.

The Royboys (just added “Royboys” to the spell checker thingo) cut Rupertswood apart on Saturday winning by fifty points despite, once again, allowing several easy goals late in the game. There was blood on the W T Peterson Community Oval but, it was the blue blood of the Rupertswood players, and not the Red blood of our Redders. Our Boys had no sympathy for the opposition and were all over them, physically, all day.

But let’s start at the start which was the luncheon hosted at the ground by the Reds Foundation. A full room again to hear one of our old coaches, David Parkin, talk about his prostate and coaching career at Fitzroy. Now this bloke is a member of Fitzroy and obviously remembers his time at Fitzroy fondly, remarking that the group of blokes at the club in 1986 were the best lot of players that he was ever associated with. I noticed that our President Joan was serving on the table which, on the day that we honoured one of our volunteers, is a symbol of an amateur footy club.

Parko was talking about men’s health which today means prostate disease. Eighty per cent of eighty year olds have prostatic cancer; ninety per cent of ninety year olds have it and who cares about centurions. He did have a point about knowing what your parent died from but the big killer of men is vascular disease, stroke and heart attack, and this should be the focus of any campaign in men’s health. I have a terrible family history of stomach cancer which claimed my Mom, Grandmother, one uncle and one auntie. There was little on Saturday that upset my stomach as Fitzroy, by the end of the day, moved into second spot on the Premier C Ladder. Finals here we come.

The game opened with Rupertswood having plenty of the ball but then the engine room fired up. The twin turbines of Rory and Luke Ablett went into over drive. Rory got in front of the ball, brushed aside a tackle, went long into centre half forward. A smoother by Ablett, a tackle by Ablett, a goal by Ablett. Doesn’t he kick beautifully? Straight out of the centre, Two Dads to Rory, Sam Baker on the spillage this time, straight through, thanks for coming.

John Clark (The Eastern Distributor) played his one hundredth game for the club( I think he has four more senior games for one hundred senior games). His first quarter was outstanding as he won the “one on ones” and distributed the ball to the East. I hope that being hit on the chest isn’t found to be a men’s health hazard as quite a few Fitzroy players had The Eastern Distributor serving them the ball on a platter.

Two new blokes caught my eye: Nick Marshall and Scott Cations. Both are only knee high to a grass hopper but are strong over the ball, use it well and I like the look of the long sleeves. Why more players don’t wear them beats me.

The match had fizzled out as a contest by half time. The Rupertswood coach, Dave Barry, remarked that he thought that his side lifted their intensity after half time and that we were the best team they have played this year. Mark from Bayswater left half way through the last quarter. He had had enough. It was getting boring. Imagine that. We are getting used to winning!!!!!!!!

I noticed that our President Joan was serving on the table which, on the day that we honoured one of our volunteers, is a symbol of an amateur footy club.

This observation was not lost on me either. I like the fact we are a community club and our President is prepared to get her hands dirty.

I concurrently learnt yesterday that an e-newsletter is produced on Thursday nights for members. If you aren't receiving these it's worth contacting the club to update your details.

My review of the match should have started "That left wing w***er." I do not know how it was changed, probably by our moderator. We at Fitzroy have a left wing intellectual Tom Roper who volunteers, taking the money at our lunches. He, a few weeks ago, dropped the comment that he came down to Melbourne and wrote Gough's education policy that he won the 1972 election with. I reckon that having a rock star(Garrett) rather than a Tom Roper, has cost Australia as much as playing Clarky in the twos.(It happened under our second last coach).

Please forgive this post. I went to the Brisbane match and had a few alcoholic beverages.

Is the left wing the grandstand wing or the city side of the ground?

I went to the lions game and didn't have enough drinks, man I hate hawthorn, and punt road while I'm at it.

Doing the Fitzroy / Brisbane double header for the first time in the one weekend this season I've gotta say watching Rory and the boys smash Rupo was the more enjoyable game.
Jonathan Brown seem to be losing a little pace these days but I still thing the Roy's could benefit with some sort of two towers effect between him and Will Pickering. That would have the added bonus of keeping Specky a longer distance from goal. He's much more accurate when he's kicking from at least 40 out. Mind you his work in the last quarter yesterday had people eating their words. (not me, I never said anything bad about him)

Ablett was best on ground for me but there was a lot of very good performances from the Royboys. Rory once again showed why he was the right choice for captain. Clark again stared in defense. Two dads dominated the ruck and gave the biggest hip and shoulder delivered at Brunswick Street oval since the 1960's. Number 7 for Rupo had a good second half and even kicked a torp from a kick in as requested from certain loudmouths behind him. Captain Snooze was also at the game, of the Rod Quantock variety not Lynch.

This post was supposed to make sense instead of being rambling, perhaps a mod changed it?

Number 7 for Rupo had a good second half and even kicked a torp from a kick in as requested from certain loudmouths behind him.

The third quarter banter in his direction was pure gold, e.g. 'Remember when Rupo used to have a good back pocket player?'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back