Remove this Banner Ad

Just a few to get the ball rolling

The Showdowns
The West Coast comeback
Peter Chant and Lockhart Road
Winning a final against Collingwood
The Collingwood and Sydney minor round wins announcing our arrival

Post away!

yep that's pretty much the whole list of awesome moments... but I think from NAB cup to round 1 knew we were in for a great year, imagine what 2014 will be like

Just loved the attitude all year.

If I were to make a Port's best AFL team from 97, Boak would be in it and he would be the captain.

Loved Ken Hinkley's no bullshit attitude, please never change and waver from that.

Obviously playing to the end and never giving up.

Angus Monfries has been a fantastic addition to the club, worth every penny we paid him.

The magnificent improvements of many players - Chad Wingard, Matt Lobbe and Cam O'Shea in particular.

Ollie Wines is the most likeable first year player we've ever drafted.

I've suffered through previous seasons... always ending up bleary eyed and cranky in the mornings. This season I remembered how much I love football, and why we get excited every March and April.

Things I loved:

- stealing the Showdown
- the comeback against West Coast
- Collingwood and Sydney
- being happy on Monday mornings!

As Macca said, all the positive talk in the media. Not just the quantity of attention but the quality. As Hinkley keeps saying, we get what we deserve and Port have worked damn hard to get the recognition they've been given this year.

Emergence of young guns has been great too, especially given the concerns of the last 2 years regarding the development of youngsters. Obviously Wines and Wingard stand out, but O'Shea just coming out of nowhere. I know I'm not alone when I thought last year that there was no hope for that lad, but he'd be a decent chance of a top 10 in our BnF.
The emergence of the Rock Lobster in the ruck has been brilliant the last half-season.
And let's not forget our captain stepping up to be a real leader on and off the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They moments have all been listed. Games aside, It's been so fun watching the young guns emerge to become afl players with consistency to play games & minimal injuries.

I've also enjoyed watching Kochie get airtime on tv showing his emotions. Years of Eddie/Brayshaw/Kennett, about time we got a port mug on the big screen

Just a few to get the ball rolling

The Showdowns
The West Coast comeback
Peter Chant and Lockhart Road
Winning a final against Collingwood
The Collingwood and Sydney minor round wins announcing our arrival

Post away!

What an honour.

Had an adjective before 'honour' but decided to delete it.

Just back from Lockhart Road, it's late Hong Kong time let alone Alberton time... so will humbly respond in the morning.

PS: Mrs Road not happy on (only) two fronts. Not the first time.

#8. GWS loss
#2. Primus Sacked
#3. Season close & Pagan, Harley, etc. on the coaching selection pannel
#4. Leon Cameron knocking us back and the news paper and amedia backlash
#5. Ken Hinkley & Allan Richardson appointment
#6. Darren Burgess appointment
#7. Free Agents leaving
#8. Trade period Monfries, Hombsh, Neade, Heath, Stevenson
#9. Draft day, Wines, Clurey and Shaw
#10. First day preseason
#11. 100 x 100's
#12. Euro trip
#13. Vs western Bulldogs @ the oval
#14. Preseason win vs Adelaide
#15. Carlile bake and subsequent win vs West Coast
#16. Round 1 vs Melbourne
#17. Round 2
#18. Round 3
#19. Round 4
#20. Round 5
#21. Darwin Game
#22.
#23.
#24.
#25.
#26.
#27.
#28.
#29.
#30.
#31.
#32.
#33.
#34. Vs Collingwood
#35. Vs Geelong

* I'll update as the night progress'

Oliver Wines falling to us at pick 6, and proving me right after I said he would have a year like Rich after watching 5 minutes of highlights.

I think he will be the best in the competition one day.

The thing I'm most proud and excited about is the emergence of our back six (or seven) as a defensive force capable of standing up in finals.
Watching O'Shea develop has been a major highlight of my year. To have him, Jonas, Broadbent and to a lesser extent Pittard and Hombsch forging such a strong group around Jacko and Bobby is a fantastic sign that this team will be built for finals success.
We know we need one more shut-down defender but to Logan's credit, he also did his utmost to cover that role admirably during the finals.
I'm increasingly thinking that with the defence coming together so well, that perhaps Clurey can be developed as a key forward prospect.

Being proud of my clubs performances again. The West Coast and Showdown 34 wins instilling the belief we needed. Knowing we will never give up. Looking forward to hearing our senior coach speak to the media. Our win in Showdown 35. Making the finals outright. Beating Collingwood in a final at the MCG. Having the reserves issue settled. Being Port Adelaide again.

What would be our 35 moments that changed a club, if they were to put together a DVD for the JMac Foundation?
I have every Port match in the highest available quality. Make a list and I'll get to work on a montage tonight.

My personal favourite moment has to be that bounce. I have never yelled so hard in my life, and reading the ten pages of expletives on the Crows board was extremely enjoyable.

Many things have been good excellent this year.
Being on top of the AFL ladder, beating the Crows, seeing Kenny excited and getting respect back.

Just about falling out the northern stand as Jakey Neade made THAT run down the outer wing against WCE.
The Wingard mark & goal to win the showdown.

My highlight is ... well don't get me wrong as we got a great ride 2000-2005 and loved it but this is the style of footy I'd like to see Port play year after year.
When we started playing the old fashioned way of... It ain't over against Port till the fat lady sings style of footy it was immediate time and haven't stopped immediating since.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back