Super Rugby 2013 Super Rugby Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope Folau stays. He played brilliantly at times last night. It would be such a shame to see him leave after 1 year because he could be a superstar in rugby. Surely if he bothered to come for 1 year he should give it a proper go given the way he's improving. Could definitely be the best of the australian league converts. And who would want to go to the Bulldogs right now!? In the next 2-3 years he could play in a Lions series and a world cup plus test matches around the world. Then go back to league at 26/27 while still in his prime. Then back to rugby aged 30/31 to play in the south of France. That's what I'd be thinking in his position anyway.

The only reason Folau is in rugby is because the NRL cap auditor wouldn't approve any deal for him. I've got an impeccable source.

While I think Folau is as good as gone to league, he seems to be enjoying Union and I reckon a taste of test rugby would be the only way to convince him to stay. I wouldn't be adverse to blooding him in the Tri-nations. Lions test is the wrong environment.

I wouldn't be adverse to blooding him in the Tri-nations. Lions test is the wrong environment.

If he keeps playing like he did last night (and there's no reason to think otherwise) he'll be in the team against the Lions. He'll be on one of the wings I'm betting.

Running out at Suncorp in the atmosphere of a Lions test would beat any other atmosphere he could experience in rugby short of maybe the world cup games against England and Wales in 2015. If that doesn't sell him on staying in rugby nothing will.

Disgraceful performance from the Brumbies. Reds should have won, it was blatant cheating at it's best. The ref had to either yellow card a second player or give a penalty try in that last 10 minutes. It was cynical and professional play from the Brumbies. I don't know how many times the Brumbies was offside or off their feet, but it was close to 100%; it wasn't even disguised well, it was just blatant.

Probably a mistake continually going for the try, but considering Cooper was goalkicking it was probably the right move.

I think it was a definite mistake going for the try all the time when they were 7 behind. Could have given themselves 10 minutes to win the game a man up. There was at least one penalty in that period that was pretty much in front.

Also, it was pretty pathetic play by both teams in the last 4 mins. Neither team was willing to run the ball and try and win. Just kicking it away hoping for errors. The fact the reds knocked on in the last play when they finally got field position off Mogg's kick was pretty appropriate.

Glenn Jackson wasn't quite up to it as a ref. He lost control of the game in the last 15.

The game overall was pretty good though mind you! Was played more expansively at times than I expected. Some controversy, big defence, some good tries. Good that our teams are going well in a Lions year!

The game overall was pretty good though mind you! Was played more expansively at times than I expected. Some controversy, big defence, some good tries. Good that our teams are going well in a Lions year!

I have to disagree. There was only 1 team out there on the park trying to win. The cynical nature of the Brumbies has made me hate them as a team. Glenn Jackson was a horrid ref but it was borderline unsportsman like conduct from the Brumbies, especially on the part of McCabe and G Smith. McCabe was particularly disgraceful, didn't even try be onside, he was in the middle of the Reds backline for most of the game. They've well and truly taken the mantle of " my most hated Super Rugby team" and that says a lot considering the NSW/QLD rivalry. Props to Ben Mowen though, the way he "managed" the ref was Richi McCaw-like, haven't seen a performance like that since Horwill vs Boks at the RWC.

On another note, when is Liam Gill going to get his due credit? Comprehensively outpointed the great G Smith last night, Sam Cane the week before, Pocock in round 1 and every single openside this year.

I have to disagree. There was only 1 team out there on the park trying to win. The cynical nature of the Brumbies has made me hate them as a team. Glenn Jackson was a horrid ref but it was borderline unsportsman like conduct from the Brumbies, especially on the part of McCabe and G Smith. McCabe was particularly disgraceful, didn't even try be onside, he was in the middle of the Reds backline for most of the game. They've well and truly taken the mantle of " my most hated Super Rugby team" and that says a lot considering the NSW/QLD rivalry. Props to Ben Mowen though, the way he "managed" the ref was Richi McCaw-like, haven't seen a performance like that since Horwill vs Boks at the RWC.

On another note, when is Liam Gill going to get his due credit? Comprehensively outpointed the great G Smith last night, Sam Cane the week before, Pocock in round 1 and every single openside this year.

I think your view is a little bit affected by the fact you're a reds fan. Yes the Brumbies were playing quite cynically but they did get pinged a lot for it. 16 penalties to 7 and 2 yellow cards and yet the Reds couldn't put them away.

The Brumbies defence and scrum were excellent and at times they did play some decent attacking rugby. Their try was good, Mogg was dangerous the whole game. I don't agree that Gill comprehensively outpointed Smith. I think I'd give him a slight edge in the match overall but Smith played pretty well too.

The Brumbies fans could feel hard done by as well. Gill's try to give the Reds the draw wasn't clear at all. Looked like it was held up on someones boot to me.

I think your view is a little bit affected by the fact you're a reds fan. Yes the Brumbies were playing quite cynically but they did get pinged a lot for it. 16 penalties to 7 and 2 yellow cards and yet the Reds couldn't put them away.

The Brumbies defence and scrum were excellent and at times they did play some decent attacking rugby. Their try was good, Mogg was dangerous the whole game. I don't agree that Gill comprehensively outpointed Smith. I think I'd give him a slight edge in the match overall but Smith played pretty well too.

The Brumbies fans could feel hard done by as well. Gill's try to give the Reds the draw wasn't clear at all. Looked like it was held up on someones boot to me.

The problem isn't reflected in the penalty count. Most of these cynical and un-sportsman like acts occurred during the advantage, effectively denying the Reds any opportunity to score on advantage. The Reds were better off playing during the times where no advantage was given and scored when no advantage was given. If the Stormers or Cursaders tried pulling that type of s**t against an Australian team or vice-versa, there would be an international incident.

Liam Gill scored a try. There is no realistically way the ball didn't touch the grass. The ball only had to touch a blade of grass, the first angle clearly showed that the ball ricochet off the foot onto the ground then back up.

I can't rate anything G Smith did in that last 20 minutes, any player can be offside and lay on top of the ball.

I do agree on Mogg though. Electric is the word to describe it. I can totally understand why players keep missing tackles on him, his running gait makes him look pretty slow, even from the stands. Compare him to Digby, who looks quick, but is actually pretty slow.

The problem isn't reflected in the penalty count. Most of these cynical and un-sportsman like acts occurred during the advantage, effectively denying the Reds any opportunity to score on advantage. The Reds were better off playing during the times where no advantage was given and scored when no advantage was given. If the Stormers or Cursaders tried pulling that type of s**t against an Australian team or vice-versa, there would be an international incident.

Liam Gill scored a try. There is no realistically way the ball didn't touch the grass. The ball only had to touch a blade of grass, the first angle clearly showed that the ball ricochet off the foot onto the ground then back up.

I can't rate anything G Smith did in that last 20 minutes, any player can be offside and lay on top of the ball.

I do agree on Mogg though. Electric is the word to describe it. I can totally understand why players keep missing tackles on him, his running gait makes him look pretty slow, even from the stands. Compare him to Digby, who looks quick, but is actually pretty slow.

He'll surely get a gig on the wing against lions you'd think. Ioane isn't slow.

Speaking of Digby, any comment on him leaving the Reds?

Probably the right move for both parties. I said earlier that Digby was looking at options in France and Japan. It seems that a third-party deal fell through, similar to Firepower, and Digby wasn't too happy about it. I don't begrudge him, he's the main breadwinner in his extended family and his knees aren't going to last forever. He'll get paid a ridiculous amount of money overseas. Digby leaving might open the door for JOC, who's unwanted. But I'm not too sure the Reds want another high maintenance player. Or it might allow us to keep the Faingaas or even give Gill a huge long-term contract.

On another note, it wouldn't surprise me if the Western force are big bolters next year. They've recruited extremely well this season, with Zach Holmes and Ian Prior both heading West.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reds very lucky to win that! Blues had so much ball and were dominant at the breakdown and most areas of the pitch really. Should have gone for a drop goal or two in that 2nd half. Good game despite only 1 try in the game. Both teams created opportunities but defence was very good.

Genia and Cooper both played well. Davies was pretty bad. Ioane and Gill not as effective as usual.

Rene Ranger is a freak of a player. If he was from any other country he'd have played dozens of tests by now.

Reds very lucky to win that! Blues had so much ball and were dominant at the breakdown and most areas of the pitch really. Should have gone for a drop goal or two in that 2nd half. Good game despite only 1 try in the game. Both teams created opportunities but defence was very good.

Genia and Cooper both played well. Davies was pretty bad. Ioane and Gill not as effective as usual.

Rene Ranger is a freak of a player. If he was from any other country he'd have played dozens of tests by now.

I thought the Reds played pretty poorly to be honest. The defence at the fringes was good, but at the breakdown we were completely at sea. I reckon it might be time to bring back Beau and have Gill sit 1 or 2 games out, he looks physically exhausted, easily his worst game of the year. Tapuai had a pretty poor game aswell, Lilo has taken over him for the 12 jersey.

I think the Reds are going to be pretty hard to beat if Genia, Cooper and Horwill stay fit. I feel 100 times more confident of our chances against the Lions knowing Horwill will be there. Just gets through a lot of high-impact work. Cooper had one hell of a game. MOTM for me. Made some big and try saving tackles.

Tapuai had a pretty poor game aswell, Lilo has taken over him for the 12 jersey.

Agreed. Lilo has been very good. Decent goal kicker too. I think he'd be good outside Cooper too. Would give him plenty of options and take some pressure off.

It's a pity Speight isn't eligible until after super rugby finishes. He'll have to be in the team for the rugby championship. Best winger in the competition at the moment.

I have a feeling O'Connor and Ioane will be the wings for the Lions series (still think Folau is a chance though). Mogg or Beale at fullback (depending on how Kurtley comes back from his time out of the game).

Great effort from the Rebels. Should have beaten the Crusaders this afternoon. Made some silly mistakes in the last few minutes and had a couple of unlucky calls go against them.

Higginbotham finally had a good game and JOC was excellent. Still don't think 10 is his best position but he is undoubtedly classy. I'd personally have him at 12. I've always thought he could be a Wallaby great at 12.

Big day for signings.

Ioane is off to France for 2.5 million over two years, makes you wonder why he would stay in Australia the last time his contract came up. Jono Lance has signed with the Waratahs. Lopeti Timani has signed with the Rebels. Browning has signed a new 2 year deal with the Reds.

Extremely pissed off that Lance is off to the Waratahs. I'd rather Ben Lucas or Mike Harris leave than Lance. It also might point to JOC joining the Reds next year. They've gotten rid of Ioane, who was taking up a fair chunk of the cap space and now there's a positional hole at fullback.

makes you wonder why he would stay in Australia the last time his contract came up.

Lions series.

Jono Lance is a good signing but I don't know how happy he'll be about his decision if Kurtley Beale signs for the Waratahs as well...which seems pretty likely. Seems to me like he'd have had a better chance of being a regular starter for the Reds next year than he will at the Waratahs.

I guess his best chance for the tahs will be in the centres.

Rebels v Chiefs game was pretty entertaining. Thought the Rebels were unlucky again...though they could give themselves a better chance by defending better!!

JOC played well but for me last night again shows why 10 is not his best position. His passing game is decent but not top class, and he's a huge danger of getting charged down when he kicks (as happened again last night)...plus 10 is not the best position to get the most out of his running game. He's most dangerous in broken play and when running wider as a 2nd play maker with a winger or fullback to work with.

Beale has definitely kept himself fit and looked good. He's probably in better shape than he was earlier in the season. If he kicks on from where he started at last night he'll be playing against the Lions.

Good to see Higginbotham playing well again. Has been good the last 2 games.

Thought the Reds were pretty lucky to come away with the draw. CFS didn't even look like he was aiming for the tryline, was simply trying to get the ball back and coincidentally touched the line. It seems that the Force only really show up against the Reds. They played brilliantly last night.

Brumbies played a pretty poorly. They were lucky to snatch the bonus point at the death. The Crusaders out-muscled and out maneuvered the Brumbies. I think they've just shown the winning formula: spread the ball wide early and don't commit at the breakdown.

Saw a replay of the Waratahs match. What a performance! Folau, Foley and Hooper were all brilliant. If the tahs can play like that in some of their home matches they'll get the crowds back. Sure you can say it was against the Kings, but they have been very competitive in pretty much every other match...drew with the Brumbies in Canberra etc.

The Reds were pretty lacklustre. The Force are definitely their bogey team. Thought Kyle Godwin was immense for the Force. Future Wallaby written all over him.

Didn't see the Brumbies match but not surprised they lost. It's a pretty even competition at the moment. No clear standouts. I think just about any of the top 10 on the ladder could potentially win the thing.

Kurtley 'I don't have a problem with alcohol' Beale stood down again after drinking again despite agreed upon alcohol ban. What a waste. He looked awesome when he came on last week. You'd have thought that with a Lions tour spot on the line he'd be able to contain himself!

Could be an all time great if he sorts himself out. Wouldn't be surprised if he leaves Australian rugby though now.

Kurtley 'I don't have a problem with alcohol' Beale stood down again after drinking again despite agreed upon alcohol ban. What a waste. He looked awesome when he came on last week. You'd have thought that with a Lions tour spot on the line he'd be able to contain himself!

Could be an all time great if he sorts himself out. Wouldn't be surprised if he leaves Australian rugby though now.

It's time for him to go. Too many behavioural issues--I'm surprised they brought him back initially after he punched his captain, but to break the terms of his agreement only a couple of weeks later says to me that he sees the whole thing as a big joke.

Was at the Waratahs game last night. Not a great game but very physical and the try to win it made up for the dull 2nd half. Should get the first big crowd for a while against the Brumbies game next week. Foley was crap last night but has been good the previous few weeks so will hold his spot I imagine. Barnes put up a good argument though.

Good to see the reds playing like their old selves in the first half against the Sharks on Friday. I've said here before that they've been far too obsessed with pick and driving when on attack this year. They're a much better team when they play with more speed and width.

Didn't see the Force or Rebels but for them to get so close to the Chiefs and Blues in NZ is a great sign for Australian rugby.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back