List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Watch Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Righto, so not likely then. Would he have set himself a minimum wage or what's the go there?

Hi, sorry to interrupt in your thread, I'm just trying to find a reason for something that doesn't make sense to me.

I noticed that you guys do not have any official PSD picks despite passing on your last two picks at the National draft. After a bit of googling trying to find out why it seems that part of the rules is that you guys have to have 38 players on your list with up to 9 rookies (Cat A & B) this season.

Is there any reason as to why you guys can't have one or two less rookies to increase the list to 39 or 40 like the rest of the AFL Clubs (Bar GWS)?

It seems unfair that you guys can't have that option and extra bit of flexibility on how to structure your list. Or am I missing something?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

any info on him?
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/josh-glenn-2014-draft-prospect.1071443/

Josh Glenn
Height: 179cm
Weight: 78kg
Position: Midfielder, Defender​

Time to have a look at the top mature aged prospect in the country, and in my opinion there is no doubt that it's 20 year old Josh Glenn from Central Districts. Most people will probably remember his story from last year, so I'll just touch on it again briefly. In 2012, Glenn quit the Central Districts U18 team for a couple of different reasons and returned to Division 4 football for Elizabeth. Clearly too good to be playing at that level, Glenn was invited back by Central Districts to train with them prior to the 2013 season. And from there, he cemented a spot in their SANFL League side and won the competition's Rising Star award for last year. That was rewarded with a Draft Combine invite and a guaranteed selection in the national draft, but of course Glenn then went on to decline and did not nominate for the draft at all. It was sounding like Paul Marschall all over again. There was a lot of talk about why he would do that, including that he didn't want to leave South Australia. But he has since explained that he is committed to making a career at the top level however he did not feel the time was right having come from Division 4 football just the previous year. Well, his 2014 season so far has been even better than his 2013 one. So it's hard to argue that it wasn't the right decision for him.

But back to 2013, and Glenn made his mark in the SANFL across half back. As a 19 year old, he played 21 games to average 17 disposals and, as I said before, win the SANFL Rising Star award. It was pretty easy to see why so many clubs nominated him for the draft combine, as he already looked the part of an AFL defender. He was tough and strong defensively, while also providing a lot of run and carry off of half back. But it's with ball in hand that he was at his best, extremely composed for a 19 year old and a long and strong kick of the ball. He won his Rising Star nomination for his Round 6 game against Port Adelaide in which he finished with 15 disposals and 2 goals at 78% efficiency. But the next week against Sturt was arguably his best with 35 possessions and 13 marks across half back. For some reason, people love to compare any defender who can kick a ball to Matthew Suckling from the Hawks. It's a strange obsession. But it's a comparison you can actually make with Glenn, just a shorter version. Pushing up the ground, Glenn showed that valuable skill of being able to kick long goals on the run.

Last year, he pushed up the ground from half back and did spent a bit of time as a small forward too but in 2014 he has made the move into midfield. Just yesterday, he was BOG in Central's win against West Adelaide with a 29 disposal, 7 marks, 5 clearance, 9 inside 50, 1 goal 3 behind game. And Glenn has been named in the best players in 6 of his 11 games this year. It's definitely been a good move, the further up the ground he is, the more valuable his touches are. He's also shown through the middle that he can win his own ball, which is what separates him from a lot of those other half backs who are best suited to playing loose and uncontested football.

So I think I've covered most of his strengths in all that - calm, composed and smart with ball in hand. He picks the right option, and executes well with his kicking. He also has that good mix of contested and uncontested ability. It will largely be a case of how he develops from here and adjusts to the next level, because there are no massive weaknesses in his game. And you could argue there would be some question marks over his commitment, although he is saying all the right things at the moment. But there is no reason to think he couldn't do it, given what he has shown at SANFL level. At worst, he should find a home as a small defender similar to Steve Morris from Richmond - but I would be surprised if that's as far he made it.

The closest (recent) draft comparison I can think of is Zak Jones - a similar size, he was a first round pick at #15 playing as a defender/midfielder. The obvious difference is age. Jones was 18, Glenn is 20. But, Glenn has shown more at league level than Jones did at U18s. So how far down does someone get marked for being slightly older?

pick 7: josh glenn

"Mature-age medium midfielder who had excellent year with Central District in the SANFL, averaging 20 disposals and four clearances in 16 games. Consistent and the uses the ball efficiently with both hands and feet."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back