List Mgmt. 2016 Draft, Trading and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My though is we only got one pick In top 20 in 2016. What a shame.

It was a pretty good game of football. Thought the first half was a bit scrappy but really liked WA's ball movement in the second half and thought that was a big reason for them getting on top. Vic Country were pretty disappointing tbh. Really expected them to be polished given a number of their players being so highly rated. Looking forward to seeing more games. Here is my basic analysis from memory watching the game.

WESTERN AUSTRALIA

Liam Baker (174cm) - was arguably BOG in the last quarter. Strong marks, kicked a great goal, created.

Zac Fisher (175cm) - won plenty of ball and was a clearance machine.

Stan Wright (175cm) - did a great clearance from the bounce, ran inside 50 and kicked one of the best goals of the game. Worked hard in the middle and kicked another goal also.

Shai Bolton (177cm) - one of the best players in the first half with his creativity and presented well all game as a small forward or from the wing.

Matt Guelfi (184cm) - solid all game, getting in amongst it and responsible for a lot of the best clearance work.

Quinton Narkle (181cm) - thought he was a bit quiet in the first half but his clearance work was oustanding in the final term. One of my favourites but expect more next game.

Jake Patmore (180cm) - looks a good prospect but think he can be better.

John Levien (183cm) - did some good things but also had some shocking disposals.

Cameron Zurhaar (188cm) - did some clever things inside 50 to create scores.

Joshua Rotham (192cm) - simply outastanding disposal. Seems the ideal running key defender for the way the game is heading.

Sam Powell-Pepper (186cm) - competitive beast that made the ball his own a number of times and kicked some great goals in the last quarter.

Jake Waterman (191cm) - Eagles are going to do well with the second of the Waterman boys. If his goal kicking was straight he would have had a great game.

Tim English (203cm) - my favourite ruck prospect who dominated most hitouts when in the ruck but looked good roaming forward or back and seems a decent kick for a big guy.

Luke Strnadica (199cm) - key target up forward for WA kicked 4 goals and was solid without being exceptional.

Brad Fullgrabe (194cm) - was one I was keen to see and thought he presented well as a 2nd tall up forward.

Jeremy Goddard (202cm) - thought he was the stand out ruck today. Worked well in partnership with English.

Sam Taylor (191cm) - struggled with Battle in the first quarter and had 3 goals kicked against him.

Griffin Logue (193cm) - went to Battle in the second half and he didn't kick another goal after his first 4.

VIC COUNTRY

Hugh McCluggage (185cm) - got plenty of the pill and probably VC's best player but thought he often didn't use it effectively.

Josh Battle (192cm) - had an unbelievable purple patch in the first quarter when he kicked 4 straight. Great contested mark and good kick for goal but had little impact after supply dried up.

Jarrod Korewha (192cm) - got a fair bit of flak from the crowd about his outrageously long pony tail but thought he was fairly solid for VC.

Jarrod Berry (191cm) - a real prospect but not his best game.

Tom Jok (190cm) - very athletic and worked hard to impact the game. worth keeping an eye on and perhaps a smokey in the draft?

Will Brodie (189cm) - big prospect in the draft who won a fair bit of the ball but didn't impact as much as you expected.

Joseph Atley (186cm) - another strong ball winner for VC who made a heap of tackles.

Myles Poholke (184cm) - kicked a couple of goals but not much else that I could see.

Last edited:
Great work by way to go , agree most of it.

Great work by way to go , agree most of it.
Thanks meima. It's pretty hard to see everything going on from ground level so I no doubt missed a heap, so feel free to add to what I've written.

I couldn't stay for the Peel game. Am assuming they got beaten? Can't access the WAFL site at all currently - annoying! Most importantly I am interested in whether Morabito, Ueber, Smith or anyone else put their hand up to replace Apeness next week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a pretty good game of football. Thought the first half was a bit scrappy but really liked WA's ball movement in the second half and thought that was a big reason for them getting on top. Vic Country were pretty disappointing tbh. Really expected them to be polished given a number of their players being so highly rated. Looking forward to seeing more games. Here is my basic analysis from memory watching the game.

WESTERN AUSTRALIA

Liam Baker (174cm) - was arguably BOG in the last quarter. Strong marks, kicked a great goal, created.

Stan Wright (175cm) - did a great clearance from the bounce, ran inside 50 and kicked one of the best goals of the game. Worked hard in the middle and kicked another goal also.

Shai Bolton (177cm) - one of the best players in the first half with his creativity and presented well all game as a small forward or from the wing.

Matt Guelfi (184cm) - solid all game, getting in amongst it and responsible for a lot of the best clearance work.

Quinton Narkle (181cm) - thought he was a bit quiet in the first half but his clearance work was oustanding in the final term. One of my favourites but expect more next game.

John Levien (183cm) - did some good things but also had some shocking disposals.

Joshua Rotham (192cm) - simply outastanding disposal. Seems the ideal running key defender for the way the game is heading.

Sam Powell-Pepper (186cm) - competitive beast that made the ball his own a number of times and kicked some great goals in the last quarter.

Jake Waterman (191cm) - Eagles are going to do well with the second of the Waterman boys. If his goal kicking was straight he would have had a great game.

Tim English (203cm) - my favourite ruck prospect who dominated most hitouts when in the ruck but looked good roaming forward or back and seems a decent kick for a big guy.

Luke Strnadica (199cm) - key target up forward for WA kicked 4 goals and was solid without being exceptional.

Brad Fullgrabe (194cm) - was one I was keen to see and thought he presented well as a 2nd tall up forward.

Jeremy Goddard (202cm) - thought he was the stand out ruck today. Worked well in partnership with English.

Sam Taylor (191cm) - struggled with Battle in the first quarter and had 3 goals kicked against him.

Griffin Logue (193cm) - went to Battle in the second half and he didn't kick another goal after his first 4.

VIC COUNTRY

Hugh McCluggage (185cm) - got plenty of the pill and probably VC's best player but thought he often didn't use it effectively.

Josh Battle (192cm) - had an unbelievable purple patch in the first quarter when he kicked 4 straight. Great contested mark and good kick for goal but had little impact after supply dried up.

Jarrod Korewha (192cm) - got a fair bit of flak from the crowd about his outrageously long pony tail but thought he was fairly solid for VC.

Tom Jok (190cm) - very athletic and worked hard to impact the game. worth keeping an eye on and perhaps a smokey in the draft?

Will Brodie (189cm) - big prospect in the draft who won a fair bit of the ball but didn't impact as much as you expected.

Joseph Atley (186cm) - another strong ball winner for VC who made a heap of tackles.

Myles Poholke (184cm) - kicked a couple of goals but not much else that I could see.

Great post.

I agree with it all except Waterman. I wasn't as bullish on him.

I was very impressed with Jok even though his kicking is suspect but he seems to know that and stay within his limitations of short passes and safe kicks. But geez he's got a tank! Just went from contest to contest and seemed to read the game very well also finding the ball at will. Although skinny, he rarely got knocked over.

Loved Bolton, Rotham and Fischer. And English, Goddard and Logue did some good things and look the goods. I think English and Rotham have more improvement left in terms of growth and body size than the others. Fullgrabe is a footballer, nothing flash but very, very solid.

The kiwi for VC made me laugh when I first saw him but he's a serious player. So too obviously Berry, Battle and McCluggage. Atley and Brodie were ok.

Also didn't mind the look of Farrell and Bek from VC.

Josh Jenkins just added another $100k to his next contract .. Didn't see the game but super impressive numbers - especially the 7 goals :eek:

WESTERN AUSTRALIA

VIC COUNTRY

Great review

Here's mine

WA's Mosquito fleet leads WA to victory.

It started in the middle with WA's ruckman Jeremy Goddard totally dominating the taps Nic Nay style.
He has many different hit zones which he sent down the throat of Zac Fisher 175cm, Liam Baker 174cm,
Stan Wright 175cm and Quinton Narkle 181cm and Matt Guelfi 184cm

These little guys completely beat there bigger opponents Will Brodie 189cm, Willem Drew 188cm,
Hugh McCluggage 185cm Joseph Atley 186cm
The Wa mids swapped between the middle and forward pocket and the interchange.
WA used the interchange very heavily compared to Vic Country.

Sam Pepper-Powell had about 5 minutes in the middle then spent rest of game at half forward, and half back.
He flashed in for a couple of freaky great goals, was good solid game from him

Shae Bolton was electric with some good goals is a great finisher.

Josh Rotham was class across the half back line is a wonderful kick of the footy, out marked Tom Jok from a vic country
kick in then delivered the ball beautifully through the eye of the needle to waterman one of the plays of the day.

The play of the day was Stan the man Wright reining WA colts player of the year just before the 3 quarter time, wa won the centre clearance
pushed it forward and Stan kicked a wonderful goal on his left foot. He has amazing left foot kicks long low and hard and can do it at pace as well.

Luke Strandica was a presence in the game kicked a couple of goals and looked good he will be a good draft pick as mid range pick quality value.
He got his hands to a couple of big marks from long bombs and just couldn't handle it, if he starts taking though's look out

As said WA little guys where outstanding Quinten Narkle just reads the ball so well from the taps was very good with his clearances

Stan Wright was terrific his kicking is so damaging on that left of his was probably bog.
Zac Fisher kicked good goal and his pressure on Vic mids was great didn't give them time, and made them turn the footy over.

Matt Guelfi was WA size in the midfield and was bustling and worked very hard was buggered when he came of.

Liam Baker one of WA best the west perth boy had a great game was very good when he went forward I like him organising the forwards with his talk.

Wa captain Waterman was the dominate forward on the ground brilliant great mark and tireless worker, very good field kick, horrible set shot kick.
His run up action is good runs straight at the goals, ball drop is fine he just stabs at the footy instead of following through, and his shots always slide to the right. If he can fix his goal shot kicking will be very good at next level, the Q will be can he fix his set shot kicking.

Cameron Zurhaar didn't play mid was used as a half forward in conjunction with Waterman worker hard.

Sam Taylor at full back had a really bad day started on Josh Battle who is only 192cm but is a very wide hard body weighing 90kg compared to Sam's
79kgs Josh kicked 3 on him in the first and moved him of the footy easy. In that first quarter Josh Battle won every one on one except for when Rotham came over the top and spoiled the ball away with a great late spoil. WA then realised belatedly they needed a change and put Griffin Logue on him who did better on him but them josh came back again later in the second and kicked a goal.

In the last with WA killing Vic Country Sam taylor took a very good mark that lifted his confidence at 191cm and being underage hopefully he grows a bit more and puts on some more weight.
Matt Young and Jake Patmore as underages looked a bit over awed, and where not great.
Goddard was amazing in the ruck and tim english was a good back up, for a ruck is a good field kick.

For vic country Tom Jok was outstanding if he can put some weight on, should be a player.
i like Will Brodie looked hampered with a knee maybe but was still very good Will Drew was okay.
Not impressed with Atley seems to me a little soft in the contest, narkle owned him a few times.
Vic Country where very good on the rebound and hurt WA Jarrod Berrry was a good attacking player number 22
play half back and mid.
Vic country where not great this game and will get better.

WA look forward to adding:
SPS
Bailey Banfield
Gordon Narrier
and hopefully:
Mitchell Dzelebdzic 196cm and Thomas Amos 198cm and the very exciting Jimmy Miller 195cm which should
help with our height issues in the kp department

More fool them. If they do, he'll end up on the RL with his brother (if he hasn't been delisted by then).
The kid can play. He's been pretty good this year in the Colts - been player of the round once or twice I think. He has his limitations but as a 3rd tall forward I think he could make it. Not that it matters, he'll be picked up as f/s for sure - hopefully they have to pay something reasonable for him.

Iam hoping WCE can get Josh Rotham he is the best kick in this draft.
I believe he will end up a mid.
He's so athletic as well, agility like a cat, i rate him better than SPS at this stage
I love SPP as well reminds me of Beau Waters so much.

This is the best WA draft in ages
Cant wait to see Jimmy Miller as well he has some special talent North West WA boy
195cm forward who I know Freo have been keen on

I am a tad fixated on us trading down our first pick to try and secure any 2 of Rotham, Goddard, Stradnica, Powell-pepper etc. But especially those boys.

Yeah I'm kind of with you on this one. It's a tough decision. A top 5 pick doesn't guarantee you anything, but and without having done any thorough research 4 out of the 5 will be more then serviceable.

2 picks in the top 15 would be pretty special but again that class drops off somewhat.

I hear what you're saying but. Especially as we don't currently have a second rounder.

Pick 3 be worth say pick 9 and 10 as hypotheticals?

WESTERN AUSTRALIA

VIC COUNTRY

Just thank your lucky stars that Chris is more conservative on the vinegar stroke than his brother (9 kids).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back