List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Walters was a midfielder as junior player.

I actually think he (Champion) is a very short kick and will be shorter when he is in the AFL and has to run all day. I have also seen him be very inaccurate in games as well; I think he is more an up the ground run and chip player than a small forward, which may be problematic at the next level up given his size. Yes he has been playing against men in amateurs and likes a fight (he did play a couple of pre-season games in Subiaco seniors), but this is professional football we are talking about him playing.

On the flip side I do like his agility and I think his speed is decent, so the combination of those two things will help him get drafted. He also has a very good standing jump and his endurance is okay.
I wouldn’t be too worried about his size. Bobby Hill is 175cm and was around 60 kg when drafted.
He was pick 24, so in hindsight we should have taken him.
He won’t last after 40, WC NGA, but has the X factor that we seem
to be missing.
There are a few options though, I just hope we can get one or possibly two.

Another excellent Colts performance from Kayle Gerreyn. He dominated his opponents in the ruck all day providing hit outs to advantage his teammates or often just grabbing the ball and driving it forwards himself. He even showed some of his potential as a key forward, chipping in with two goals.

Hi @Chris25 with probability of our three 1st round picks falling between 9 to 16 , who are the best players suits us in 2024 draft ?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Another excellent Colts performance from Kayle Gerreyn. He dominated his opponents in the ruck all day providing hit outs to advantage his teammates or often just grabbing the ball and driving it forwards himself. He even showed some of his potential as a key forward, chipping in with two goals.

Kayle Gerreyn Vimal Anand IMO this is THE player for us to pick between 9 - 16.

Not a "positional need" but just a really unique athletic player who can play a number of positions, is racking up decent possession numbers for a tall (21, 18 and 21 in the last three games), kicking goals and getting decent hitout numbers as well. Maybe the goal kicking is not quite there yet but the technique is there, also good field kicking if we wanted to play him as a rebounding tall centre half back. Also goes to the right places, has that footy IQ to go along with the athleticism. Also a WA player as well (not that I care too much about that). I think he is going under the radar, it will all depend on his U18 championships and where he plays there (they might play him as a ruckman which would hide him a little, although I think they will probably ruck with Riddle and play Gerreyn as CHF/Ruck).

If the intent for racking up the picks in this draft was to pick up MacDonald, well this is a good backup plan.

Not a "positional need" but just a really unique athletic player who can play a number of positions, is racking up decent possession numbers for a tall (21, 18 and 21 in the last three games), kicking goals and getting decent hitout numbers as well. Maybe the goal kicking is not quite there yet but the technique is there, also good field kicking if we wanted to play him as a rebounding tall centre half back. Also goes to the right places, has that footy IQ to go along with the athleticism. Also a WA player as well (not that I care too much about that). I think he is going under the radar, it will all depend on his U18 championships and where he plays there (they might play him as a ruckman which would hide him a little, although I think they will probably ruck with Riddle and play Gerreyn as CHF/Ruck).

If the intent for racking up the picks in this draft was to pick up MacDonald, well this is a good backup plan.

Interesting.

How tall is he…he’s quite mobile.

Could he be a mobile utility? Cripps style, smashing bodies?

Yea he projects as very promising in terms of ticking alot of boxes you d want in a kpf/ruck

I agree , if we miss out on McDonald (very likely) I’d be more than happy if we pick him up with one of our firsts

Thank you Ysaye

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Any high IQ player would be good for our side.

A few to consider for the mid season draft.

My Two Cents: Host of young SANFL stars emerge as AFL mid-season draft prospects​

Some were spurned in their inaugural draft years, another was ruthlessly dumped from the AFL system. A host of exciting young SANFL players want a second chance in the draft.
Andrew Capel Andrew Capel
Follow

@andrewcapel

4 min read
April 23, 2024 - 12:00PM

5 comments

00:41
Last-gasp Draper dive sees Crows FILTHY

AFL: Essendon star Sam Draper is at the front of controversy as he dived on the ball to... more
View more related videos

Some were spurned in their inaugural draft years, another was ruthlessly dumped from the AFL system.
Now a host of young, exciting SANFL players who have overcome their share of adversity are making their mid-season draft cases.
After three rounds of the 2024 SANFL season and a state game against the VFL, more than half-a-dozen players once thought to be on the AFL scrap heap are suddenly garnering recruiters’ attention.

Woodville-West Torrens’ Patrick Weckert, Luke Beecken and Adam D’Aloia, Central District’s Jez McLennan, South Adelaide’s Noah Howes and West Adelaide’s Kobe Ryan and Will Patton are among the young South Australians who have lit up the SANFL in the early rounds and propelled their names in front of AFL clubs for the May 29 mid-season rookie draft.
Emerging Woodville-West Torrens star Patrick Weckert. Picture: Matt Turner

Emerging Woodville-West Torrens star Patrick Weckert. Picture: Matt Turner
Nineteen-year-old key forward Weckert, who gave away a promising cricket career as a fast bowler to concentrate on football, was overlooked at last year’s draft following a disappointing AFL under-18 national championships campaign.
But the 194cm tall, who dropped 5kg over summer, has enjoyed a standout start to the 2024 league season, kicking eight goals in three games for the top-of-the-table Eagles, including seven in the past two weeks.
He also has averaged five marks and is fitter than last season, enabling him to cover more territory.
“Patty is enjoying the fruits of having had his first full pre-season of football training,’’ said his agent Greg Size from Deliver Sports Management.
“He’s missed a lot of footy training because of his cricket and now he’s reaping the rewards of a full pre-season, it’s made a world of difference for him.
“He’s worked really hard and improved his strength and explosiveness and I think it’s fair to say he’s now got a bit of that (Collingwood star) Brody Mihocek style work rate about him.
“And because of his lack of football experience his upside his massive.’’
Eagle Patrick Weckert attempts a mark opposed to Port Adelaide’s [PLAYERCARD]Tom Clurey[/PLAYERCARD] in the SANFL game at Woodville Oval on Sunday. Picture: Cory Sutton/SANFL

Eagle Patrick Weckert attempts a mark opposed to Port Adelaide’s Tom Clurey in the SANFL game at Woodville Oval on Sunday. Picture: Cory Sutton/SANFL
Central District’s Jez McLennan with the Fos Williams Medal as the SANFL’s best player against the VFL this month. Picture: David Mariuz/SANFL

Central District’s Jez McLennan with the Fos Williams Medal as the SANFL’s best player against the VFL this month. Picture: David Mariuz/SANFL
Dashing half-back flanker Beecken, who turned 23 last week, is a late bloomer who was expected to get drafted after the Eagles won their second of back-to-back premierships in 2021.
The grandson of legendary football administrator and SA Football Hall of Fame inductee John Condon, he appears to have taken his game to the next level this season, having averaged 22 disposals, five marks and four rebound 50s.
The 184cm backman has chalked up 56 disposals in the past two matches and oozes AFL qualities with his size, running power and excellent kick.
Hard-as-nails midfielder D’Aloia, 20, was overlooked at the past two national drafts, despite being SA’s under-18 captain in 2022 and winning the state’s MVP medal and team-first player’s player award.
Like Weckert and Beecken, he has blossomed at league level this season, averaging 28 disposals, nine clearances, six tackles and six inside 50s.
Running halfback McLennan, 23, spent four years on Gold Coast’s AFL list after being selected at pick 23 at the 2018 national draft.
But he did not play an AFL game before being delisted at the end of 2022, when he returned to the Bulldogs.
Woodville-West Torrens defender Luke Beecken with his grandfather and legendary SA football administrator John Condon. Picture: Keryn Stevens

Woodville-West Torrens defender Luke Beecken with his grandfather and legendary SA football administrator John Condon. Picture: Keryn Stevens

FOLLOW US FOR MORE​

Customise your news and keep up-to-date with SA's agenda-leading breaking news, sport and lifestyle coverage:

McLennan was selected in last year’s The Advertiser SANFL Team of the Year and has this season played even better for the unbeaten Dogs.
He won the prestigious Fos Williams Medal as SA’s best player in the win against VFL earlier this month, recording 26 disposals and eight marks across halfback.
The 184cm McLennan is averaging 25 disposals, seven marks and six rebound 50s for Central.
Exciting Panthers key forward Howes, 18, has overcome a series of bad injuries to make his presence felt on the league stage this season.
He has kicked four goals and averaged four marks in a struggling side, impressing with his powerful marking and long kicking after booting 3.3 in South’s under-18 grand final win against Sturt last year.
Midfield hard nut Ryan, 20, was considered unlucky not to have been drafted in his first draft eligible year in 2022.
A strong contested ball winner who does his best work at stoppages, he possesses clean, quick hands, tidy skills, great tackling ability and an extremely high work rate.
Ryan finished equal-seventh in last year’s Magarey Medal count, polling 17 votes, while becoming the first West player to win the Powerade Breakthrough Player award.
He has improved even further this season, averaging 23 disposals, 11 tackles and six clearances and won the Russell Ebert Medal as best afield in the Round 2 win against Port Adelaide at Waikerie.
Eagle Adam D'Aloia tackles Central District’s Harry Grant. Picture: David Mariuz/SANFL

Eagle Adam D'Aloia tackles Central District’s Harry Grant. Picture: David Mariuz/SANFL
West Adelaide’s Kobe Ryan marks in front of Sturt’s Casey Voss. Picture: David Mariuz/SANFL

West Adelaide’s Kobe Ryan marks in front of Sturt’s Casey Voss. Picture: David Mariuz/SANFL
Port SANFL coach Hamish Hartlett, a former West teammate of Ryan’s, rates him so highly that he said in the pre-season that if he could pinch a player from a rival club to play for his team he would choose Ryan.
Key defender Patton, 19 and 193cm, is, like Weckert, a former gun cricketer.
Patton played First-Grade for Adelaide as a batsman before focusing on football in his draft year.
He was SA’s under-18 captain last year and the only draft-eligible Croweater to make the All-Australian team.
Patton has this season cemented himself in West’s league side at centre half-back and was one of the Bloods’ best in their narrow loss to unbeaten Norwood in Port Lincoln last Saturday, with 16 disposals and five marks.
Glenelg premiership forward/midfielder Archie Lovelock, 19, Tigers tall Riley Holder, 21, and Bloods 197cm key defender Darcy Minchella, 19, are three other young SA prospects who have caught the eye in the lead-up to the mid-season draft after previously being overlooked.
Now they play the waiting game.
South Adelaide’s Noah Howes celebrates one of his three goals for the Panthers against the Crows in Round 1. Picture: David Mariuz/SANFL

South Adelaide’s Noah Howes celebrates one of his three goals for the Panthers against the Crows in Round 1. Picture: David Mariuz/SANFL
West Adelaide’s Will Patton. Picture: Cory Sutton/SANFL

West Adelaide’s Will Patton. Picture: Cory Sutton/SANFL

Matty Carr’s young bloke Jaren, debuts for the Bulldogs this weekend in the WAFL. Matt played 134 games for Freo so Jaren is eligible as a father son pick. Haven’t seen him play but if he inherits his dads height and mongrel, could be one to watch?

Matty Carr’s young bloke Jaren, debuts for the Bulldogs this weekend in the WAFL. Matt played 134 games for Freo so Jaren is eligible as a father son pick. Haven’t seen him play but if he inherits his dads height and mongrel, could be one to watch?

Even better if he has his uncle’s mongrel.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jaren Carr is 20yo and just making his WAFL debut. The odds of him making it onto an AFL list from there would be small. Hopefully the young man has a good career wherever he ends up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back